Old April 1, 2000, 18:38   #1
lmran Siddiqui

Local Time: 01:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CTP is so much better!
I can not believe that you guys play Smac! It is so horrible! I can not believe that I actually played it while, this whole time, Call to Power existed! CTP is so much better! Hail Call to Power! Down with Smac!
Old April 1, 2000, 21:04   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:43
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Hah:

Haven't played CtP for ages.

Tell me, are the stealth pilots still so mesmerized by the centurian's spears that they fly into the mountainsides?

No thanks.

Googlie

Old April 1, 2000, 23:44   #3
The 1212 Problem

the real Imran disagrees. Speaking of which this is april fools joke isnt it?
Old April 1, 2000, 23:52   #4
waynehead
Prince

So is this the real or fake Imran?

Anyway, I sold my copy of CTP on eBay b/c it was so incredibly horrible. Horrendous game.
Old April 1, 2000, 23:56   #5
Adam_Smith
Prince

That is the same guy who always posts stuff like that about CTP everywhere. He's the only one who plays it.
Old April 2, 2000, 00:49   #6
Bearcat
King

As I've said before. He's fake!!! The real Imran spells his name with an I this one uses an L. Try it.
Old April 2, 2000, 01:28   #7
Enigma
Prince

I am surprised that MarkG or DanQ didn't get upset about this, but then again it is April Fools.
Old April 2, 2000, 02:04   #8
MarkG

the login is fake, and the creator has already goten a 2 week "vacation"

btw, the real Imran hates CTP

Old April 6, 2000, 02:29   #9
Emperor10
Warlord

Apparently, the tanks in CTP are also so fearful of horses that they just collaspe in the field.
Old April 7, 2000, 00:48   #10
sunchaser3
Chieftain

My worst experience was when a couple of musketeers shot down my spaceship. I uninstalled shortly after that.

I mean come on!!! It was a SPACEship!!!!
Old April 7, 2000, 11:35   #11
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 02:43
Hey, hallo! What is wrong with musketeers shooting down a spaceship? Ah, OK...

I love CtP. It doesn't steal all my spare time like the SM games do. Wanna know why? Because it won't install. What do you guys think, did I insult it when I uninstalled it after playing it only once? Is there a little file on my hard disk telling the installation program that I'm not worthy?

Spaceship was shot down by a phalanx last night and a human was outwitted by a CD. What is the world coming to? Alpha Centauri?
Old April 7, 2000, 18:02   #12
Adam_Smith
Prince

Well, I still think it's wierd for a mind worm to kill planes, but then again I have no real understanding of what psi warfare is.
Old April 8, 2000, 09:25   #13
LoD
Prince

Adam: Imagine this: you're a needlejet pilot attacking a mind worm boil. Suddendly, you see, hear, and feel your worst fears materialize. Now, are you capable of flying a plane in sucha condition ?

LoD
Old April 8, 2000, 19:52   #14
mikejohnson1

Am I crazy for thinking about getting into CTP again??

------------------
MJ's Web Empire
MJ's Home Page.
Reviews site
Discussion Forum for Civ, college talk and general discussion.
Civilization Empire SMAC, Civ2, CTP.

Old April 8, 2000, 20:16   #15
Christmann
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 04-02-2000 01:04 AM
the login is fake, and the creator has already goten a 2 week "vacation"

MarkG, just curious: why only a 2 week ban, why not indefinitely? How can that person possibly make any "good" posts in 2 weeks with a login impersonating somebody else?

Old April 9, 2000, 03:07   #16
Vi Vicdi
Prince

Local Time: 19:43
I understand all your complaints about CtP: Civ 1 had the same problem!

I attacked a Knight with a Fighter and the Knight shot it down! What is a guy on a horse with a lance going to do against a .50 caliber machine gun? I guess the ricochet of all those bullets off of his helmet get caught up in the propeller and sends the plane spiralling to its flaming death?

"Thou hast slain the dragon," indeed. Safety tip: when you see a Knight with "kill" flags painted on the flanks of his horse, BREAK OFF AND RETURN TO BASE!
Old April 9, 2000, 04:36   #17
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Christmann on 04-08-2000 08:16 PM
MarkG, just curious: why only a 2 week ban, why not indefinitely? How can that person possibly make any "good" posts in 2 weeks with a login impersonating somebody else?

the fake login is indeed permanently disabled. it was his own login that was disabled for two weeks...

Old April 9, 2000, 06:10   #18
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 21:43
I remember my battleship being sunk by a load of Phalanxeers in a Civ1 defending Roman city. Presumably they threw so many spears on deck of the HMS AllieCove that she sank beneath the waves.

------------------
"In all creation, there can be no task more onerous or tedious than that of playing God." - Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.
Old April 9, 2000, 13:50   #19
mikejohnson1

I remember those problems from Civ1. I remember when I got gunpowder and thought to myself that I would slaughter all my enemies that were still using swords. Didn't work out as I planned.

Then Civ2 comes along and fixes the problem. I was so happy.

It baffles me why CTP didn't fix the problem. Even without Civ2's code available for use, they should've been able to implement a decent HP system.

------------------
MJ's Web Empire
MJ's Home Page.
Reviews site
Discussion Forum for Civ, college talk and general discussion.
Civilization Empire SMAC, Civ2, CTP.

Old April 9, 2000, 17:04   #20
C M Castleton
Chieftain

Alpha Centauri has to be one of the best games of all time, a worthy successor to Civ II.

The graphics are well, adequate, but it really is like living your own Sci-fi novel. So much thought has been put into the game. I find myself, away from the game, planning strategy and when I am playing, the time just seems to fly!

I bought CTP because I was disappointed with the graphics of Civ II and also Test of Time. Now a really good game would be Civ II or Test of Time with CTP's admittedly excellant graphics!

The main problem with CTP was that it too so incredibly long to build anything!

With Alpha Centauri, and Alien Crossfire, the balance feels just right!

Live long and prosper.
Old April 11, 2000, 04:50   #21
Vi Vicdi
Prince

Local Time: 19:43
Maybe your battleship was destroyed special-ops-style by the Phalanxeers: they used their hollow spears to breathe underwater, then, taking one last deep breath, affixed their spearpoints back onto their spears and jabbed upward, puncturing the hull.

Presumably at that point they surfaced and swam to shore, mission accomplished ... and they all got Bronze medals (well bronze working is their top-secret technology, right?)
Old April 19, 2000, 15:11   #22
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

A terrible thing to admit, I nearly bought CtP - I was saved only by a special offer.

Pc Gamer reviewed both games side-by-side when they were due to come out, and gave CtP 92% to SMAC's 91%, so I was all set to by CtP. Thankfully, they were also running a £5 off the top 10 games at PC World deal, and AC made it there first, so I bought it.
Point of fact, I didn't use my money off, instead getting the Prima Strategy guide free. Still, close run thing...
Old April 19, 2000, 16:40   #23
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Chowlett on 04-19-2000 03:11 PM
A terrible thing to admit, I nearly bought CtP - I was saved only by a special offer.

Pc Gamer reviewed both games side-by-side when they were due to come out, and gave CtP 92% to SMAC's 91%, so I was all set to by CtP. Thankfully, they were also running a £5 off the top 10 games at PC World deal, and AC made it there first, so I bought it.
Point of fact, I didn't use my money off, instead getting the Prima Strategy guide free. Still, close run thing...
of the many posts on ctp this is probably the most amazing of all.

1) you first decided to buy ctp cause 1(one) magazine gave it a 1(one)% higher rating than smac
2) you changed your mind because of
a) £5 rebate
b) smac happened to be there
3) you say that you were "saved" from buying ctp based on an negative image you have probably percieved from comments of others(correct me if I'm wrong), and not by your own judgement

simply amazing....

Old April 20, 2000, 06:52   #24
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Sounds a good reason to me
Old April 20, 2000, 13:56   #25
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Yeah, well... I actually bought CTP. I was practically drooling as I took the game home and banged it onto my computer. I then booted up the entire game and played through the tutorial.

I couldn't believe how tedious it was. I thought "Maybe I'll get into it more with some practice" and stuck at it. I played it most evenings for the next week.

I had not improved my liking for it. I took it back and exchanged it for SMAC.

And I've never looked back.

FIN.
Old April 20, 2000, 14:58   #26
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Hey MarkG! I'm only getting into the spirit of the thread! Anyways...

1) Agreed. Magazine reviews are often way off, but if they compare like with like and there wasn't much to choose between, you always go for the one that's better marked.
2) a) Ok, £5 ain't much. But I'm a penny-pinching non-earner teenager, so it means slightly more to me.
b) I live a good hour from the nearest PC World (and anyway, 's not my favourite computer store on earth )
3) No-one on these forums (except the infamous "l"mran) seems to like CtP. If I had it, I would judge it on it's own merits - I don't, so I judge it on other's opinions.

I now freely apologise for the tone of this message, I'm not very good at non-aggressive explanations.
Old April 20, 2000, 18:30   #27
Lord Sigma

Hmm, i guess i'll bite.

1. Stealth Bombers being shot down by Pikemen happens occaisonally but only if you ASSUALT rather than BOMBARD. Think of it this way; bombarding is flying thousands of feet high and dropping bombs with impunity while assualting is getting up close and personal with machine guns until one side is destroyed. However stealth bombers don't have machine guns and since one unit must be destroyed in an assualt they cannot retreat and eventually run out of fuel.

2. Tanks losing to horses rarely if ever happens. Musketeers backed by cannon can destroyed takes if they have numbers though. Tanks are 16 16 10 so ,as long as you don't send 2 against a size 9 stack, you should have no problems vs earlier troop types.

3. Musketeers vs Spaceship. Again it can happen if you assualt instead of bombard. This must have been a space fighter which is not a good ground attacker as other spaceships can not assualt land but only bombard.

4. Time to build things depends on where you place a city. A city by the sea and mountains by teh diamond age could be building leviathans in one turn. Go for mountains, forests, and jungles for production and build mines.

5. Mods mods mods! If you want to have ANY fun with ctp then you must modify it. Even the most ardent supporters of CTP admit that ,out of the box, it's incomplete and unbalanced. I had CDs mod from the first time i played it and so never had much problems with most of your issues(game balance.) Get the medieval mod 3.0 which is in the beta stages for optimal gameplay. It includes CDs mod 4.0 which fixes all of the combat, government, and wonder imbalances.

Anyway, thats just my 2.5 cents. Hopefully you will install some mods and let CTP redeem itself.

Old April 20, 2000, 18:47   #28
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Lord Sigma:

In a mood of general jocundity, I will refute your statements with my cheesecake-sharp wit.

1. Stealth bombers being shot down by pikemen. I would assume that you were talking about medieval pikemen, but since I'm feeling pedantic I will refer instead to some other pikemen that you might have seen on TV. Namely, the Imperial Guard from Star Wars. You know, those red-cloaked guys who hang around the Emperor's Throne Room not saying much. I don't know how powerful their Force Pikes are, but I doubt that any nonshielded starfighter craft could stand up to them well. The Force Pike is capable of unleashing an Everest (unit of mountainmoving capability) of Force powers per index of mental corruption squared of its user, and given that most Imperials are powerful (and in the words of Lord Acton, corrupt) this can be quite a kick for the Stealth bomber. Although the USAF is currently at the forefront of aviation technology, we have yet to encounter any hints of ray shielding or particle deflection.

2. Tanks losing to horses. This can happen quite frequently. I have a cousin who practically wet herself every time she saw Harrison Ford on screen. One afternoon I had the tedium of watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade five times in a row. Each time, the Nazi tank still lost to Indiana Jones, and he was on horseback.

3. Musketeer vs spaceship. Easy on... I know it's logically heavy going for the poor musketeer man, but remember that a lot of computer games out there are based on precisely this sort of situation. Don't want to put our titled friend Duke of Nukem out of business, do we?

4. Can't refute this one.

5. I might just try that one of these days. But not today, because there's only about 15 minutes of today left over here in UK.

Good night sleep tight.
Old April 20, 2000, 18:57   #29
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Chowlett on 04-20-2000 02:58 PM
3) No-one on these forums (except the infamous "l"mran) seems to like CtP. If I had it, I would judge it on it's own merits - I don't, so I judge it on other's opinions.
dont expect to find many ctp lovers in the smac forums. go to the ctp ones

Old April 21, 2000, 18:29   #30
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

I suppose I can't argue with that...