Old December 3, 2002, 22:26   #61
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 07:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871
I heard this before, but on what grounds could one possibly sue? Slander?
Sure slander or false pretenses, it is I agree a stretch but then we have a lot of lawyers always looking for employment..........
Old December 4, 2002, 00:07   #62
klesh
King

Jeez, now this thread belongs to me??

-FMK.
Old December 4, 2002, 00:21   #63
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:57
Choke, I was joking
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old December 4, 2002, 02:20   #64
Choke
Prince

Local Time: 03:57
I figured you were but Darius wasn't.
Old December 4, 2002, 03:03   #65
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871
I heard this before, but on what grounds could one possibly sue? Slander?
Defamation in written form is libel.
Old December 4, 2002, 03:04   #66
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
So legally that can qualify as defamation?
Old December 4, 2002, 03:34   #67
techumseh
Emperor

Well, I don't know much about American law, but in Common Law (British system incl. Canada, Australia, etc.) slander is verbal defamation and libel is written defamation. Truth is a defense, but the burden of proof is on the person accused of defamation, ie. they must prove what they said or wrote about the other person. So you can call someone a cheater provided you can prove it. Otherwise, it's libel.
Old December 4, 2002, 03:36   #68
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Well, fortunately everyone on the list has been proven to have done so. In America truth/proof is the defense as well, and the claims are true, hence no libel.
Old December 4, 2002, 03:42   #69
Choke
Prince

Pfaw! There's no such thing as libel on the internet...everyone knows that!
Old December 4, 2002, 03:43   #70
techumseh
Emperor

Quote:
Well, fortunately everyone on the list has been proven to have done so. In America truth/proof is the defense as well, and the claims are true, hence no libel.

Up to now, you're probably right.
Old December 4, 2002, 09:32   #71
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

And the key is who is going to prove truth? Who is going to make that effort and take the time. And Im not talking about catching cheaters. Im talking about defending what you wrote in a court of law. That can take time, effort and a lot of money. And sometimes it doesn't matter who is right. What matters is who has more stamina.

Again just a thought and the possibilities are remote but I am too old and too jaded to believe in a black and white system of law. Too experienced I might add as well.

Oh my gosh the smileys have Santa Hats! How festive!

Old December 4, 2002, 12:22   #72
Choke
Prince

No one is EVER going to be able to be sued for stuff said on forums.
Old December 4, 2002, 14:28   #73
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Choke
No one is EVER going to be able to be sued for stuff said on forums.
Probally not, but is Choke ready to put up his bank account to guarentee that? How about your car? At CIVFAN they almost got sued for having the "Third Reich Team". Which was basically a bunch of guys who loved doing graphics for the world war II era. Someone didn' t like the NAME they used that is all. So Like I said put up or shut up. Let us know when you send the Website Administrator the account number for your bank.
Old December 4, 2002, 14:29   #74
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

This whole witch hunt sh!t is REALLY starting to erk me.
Old December 4, 2002, 14:49   #75
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris 62
Yes but Chris the smileys have Santa hats! Feel better?
Old December 4, 2002, 18:12   #76
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris 62
WHAT witch hunt? A witch hunt implies guilt by accusation, and NOTHING like that has taken place here, nor will it.

Last edited by Darius871; December 4, 2002 at 18:30.
Old December 4, 2002, 21:34   #77
Choke
Prince

Uh Con, you CAN'T be sued for saying stuff on forums for the same reason you can't be sued for stuff you say in your living room. There's no law suit and BTW I'm in Canada so if any of you Americans want to sue me you'd have to come here to do it...a waste of time if you ask me .
Old December 4, 2002, 21:37   #78
techumseh
Emperor

Burn them!

Burn them!