View Poll Results: How should the President play the game?
During a turn-Chat (or thread) 7 41.18%
Play on its own 10 58.82%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 2, 2002, 19:44   #1
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How should the President play the game?
This discussion is probably the last big change in the constitution so that we can finalize the the constitution and start playing the game.

And it is exacly how should the President play the game. So I will try to explain the two ways to play the game we have already debated so much about it:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During a Turn-Chat or Turn-Thread

This option will only allow President to play during a open chat. Therefore the President will set a day and hour to meet the DG community and the ministers (he can send a substitute to play in its place otherwise the President will assume his functions) in a apolyton chat-room or in a thread in this forum. In his chat/thread he will report the event that happens after every action he or the AI makes to the community so that the present citizen can talk about it opinate or in case of ministers (and substitutes) re-think his orders.

Play on its own

This option will allow more freedom for president to play. He will receive guidelines from the ministers and from these guidelines the President will play the game on it own. Once something unexpected that needs the community hearing happens he will report the evolution and the current stage of the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been discussed that the biggest advantage of the first option (During a Turn-Chat or Turn-Thread) is that it makes the citizens more aware of what happens in the game and participate of it.
While the biggest advantage of the second option (Play on its own) is more dynamic game since the other way will probably take couple of hours in the chat-room to play half dozen of turns in late ages.

So how should the President play the game?
-Jean Rostand
Old December 3, 2002, 00:15   #2
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:57
During a turn chat is obviously the best option and itll feel more like a community game but it could be dodgy for the President to constantly alt-tab out of the game, i get crashes after about 8 or 9 times or it freezes.

I vote in Turn Chat/Thread still though.
Old December 3, 2002, 01:22   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 06:57
while turn chat would be nice, it would be difficult to do. and besides i think that well written orders by the ministers would be able to prvent the need for the turn chat
Old December 3, 2002, 03:08   #4
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

I admit, I voted: play on its own.

My reason behind:

1.) Some people have only limited online time.
2.) different time zones (could be fairly hard to get it under one hat) (like those funny Americans +6, and the Aussies -9 and above)
3.) and couple of other ones..........

If the orders are clear, also in general terms, we shouldn't need a chat while playing. This would defently make life easier for the Pres.
Old December 3, 2002, 03:51   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

if the pres wants to hold a turn chat, its fine by me, but i don't want him to be limited to a turn chat.

a detailed blow-by-blow account for each turn should keep the citizenry sufficiently updated on what happs int he game
Old December 3, 2002, 04:29   #6
Devil of Truth
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 13:57
Gilg and H Tower make convincing arguments. So convincing they changed my mind . The Pres should play on his own.
Old December 3, 2002, 04:30   #7
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

H Tower,

That's kind of what I wanted to say, just more clear
Old December 3, 2002, 04:41   #8
Gilgamensch
King

Let's hope we will get a decent majority
Old December 3, 2002, 05:28   #9
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

How about BOTH?
Let the president decide when to have a turnchat, and when to play on his own. A turnchat is obviously desirable, but it won't be always possible as pointed out above.

I'm not voting in this poll, because none of the choices suit me. I think the president should first try to organize a turnchat, if that isn't possible within a certain amount of time, he should play on his own.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old December 3, 2002, 09:02   #10
Gilgamensch
King

Lemmy,

doesn't sound to bad, but let's apply WCS again:

What do you want to do if the Pres. is choosing the worst option for us, the citizens?
Old December 3, 2002, 09:52   #11
mapfi
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

As I've stated before I don't want to make the pres hold a turnchat - play on specific orders works just as well. He can always hold a turnchat if he wants to, and we might only elect a pres that promises to do so but no need to fix it in the constitution.
Old December 3, 2002, 10:18   #12
Gilgamensch
King

That's kind of what I had in mind......

Follow the normal orders and in case needed set up a chat, like with 1-2 days notice.

And no, we should have it in the connie, that we could nail somebody to it, WCS!!!!!!
Old December 3, 2002, 11:57   #13
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilgamensch
Lemmy,

/me figures out after a few minutes of pondering that WCS==Worst Case Scenario

Quote:
What do you want to do if the Pres. is choosing the worst option for us, the citizens?
blame the ministers for bad orders
Seriously though, I don't think playing the game poorly is a good reason to impeach the pres, the minister's orders, as expressed through the people should provide ample support to the president. If the pres plays poorly for a round, the people are responsible for giving constructive criticism (not the other kind fo criticism) and telling the pres how to fix the mistakes.

If the President makes bad decisions after not following orders, I still don't think that is enough reason to impeach, I believe that if the President can offer a good reason for disobeying orders, (like an order to shrink the military if the largest nation which is right next door to us declares war upon us). I'm not huge fan of removing people from office easily, I think that at heart, every member of the government will want to make the right decision, but there are grey areas, afterall, computer games are not well defined math formulas
Old December 3, 2002, 12:28   #14
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Quote:
* H Tower figures out after a few minutes of pondering that WCS==Worst Case Scenario
Thanks, i wondered what that was

Quote:

WCS how? That he never does a turnchat, or that he doesn't follow orders?
In both cases we can try to impeach him, or just don't elect him if he doesn't want to hold turnchats.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old December 4, 2002, 02:46   #15
Gilgamensch
King

Sorry gent's,

I saw it somewhere and thought: let's make it easy for myself and use it as well. Normally I am not a fan of abbreviations, but I couldn't resist

H Tower

I also don't like to throw people out of the office, at least not directly. And Yes, I am also more a fan of positive feedback.
For the impeachement: It would depend on his reasoning, if he has a good one, OK, it not

(Sorry to say, but computer games ARE math formulas )

General:

I still hope to get as a result: play on his own.
And as already stated in the connie, the Pres. has all means to distribute/collect information. I just don't want to press anyone to hold turnchats, even if it is not needed. We could add that on the request of a resolution poll, 50% of ministers agreeing on or a court request, the Pres. has to hold a turnchat, what about this?

As already said: Some people might not want to spend 3 hours a day chatting about one turn..... but still want to see it passed via normal polls........
Old December 5, 2002, 07:32   #16
Pedrunn
King

Local Time: 08:57
C'mon people we need more votes. I want to close this poll tomorrow
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; December 5, 2002 at 07:52.
Old December 5, 2002, 08:25   #17
Gilgamensch
King

We said 1/3 of the citizens, would make 10 votes needed,as we have 11 we 'could' close it anyway...........

But let's hope more people will participate.
Old December 7, 2002, 13:36   #18
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy
In both cases we can try to impeach him, or just don't elect him if he doesn't want to hold turnchats.
I think the president should be able to decide on his own if he can and if he need to hold a turnchat. Threatening him to not elect him again if he don't hold a turn chat is not a got idea. But the problem that someone could do this is always there. As I think the president should be free of pressure, I must say the president has to play the game on his own without the possibility to hold turn chats.

-Martin
Old December 18, 2002, 10:18   #19
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

on his own, reasons see a lot of above posts