Old December 2, 2002, 20:24   #1
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PLEASE Give info to those of us gone for holiday...
Hey all,

I JUST (about half an hour ago) got online for the first time since last Wednesday, November 27th. There seems to have been WAAAAYYY too much that has happened since then for me to possibly spend the time to read all of the threads and go through everything.

Could people just fill myself (and other Americans) in on a summary of everything decided and took place regarding the PTW game over our holiday? I find myself rather confused, seeing as I don't even know what civs everyone has chosen, I still haven't found the savegame yet, and I'm not sure what even has happened regarding my own team (though I suppose I'll find that on our internal forum once I get in there).

THANK YOU to whomever provides such a summary
Old December 2, 2002, 20:41   #2
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Welcome back, Arnelos. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

Things got off to a hectic start. Each team has played their first turn, but it turned out not only are we on Regent instead of Monarch, but Accelerated Production got turned on somehow halfway through. We're currently repeating the turns starting from the last save without AC; I think that process is almost over, with only the last team (mine, Legoland) needing to repeat their turn.

There hasn't been much discussion about our being on Regent, don't really know what's going on there.
Old December 2, 2002, 20:51   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:57
I'd also like such a summary because I have been offline Sunday and Monday

What I have collected is :
NYE started the game Sunday, but there has been a problem when the turns were passed : the game became accelerated production ! So we came back a few turns, and AFAIK, it's Legoland's turn now

Civs are :
Gathering Storm : Egypt
Lux Invicta : Ottomans
Legoland : Carthage
Glory of War : China
Roleplay Team : Spain
Vox Controli (Jon Miller's Team) : Persia
Neu Demogyptica (Civ3.de's team) : Arabia
Old December 2, 2002, 20:59   #4
Sharpe
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:57
Another piece of useful information might be the order that the teams will play which is:

1) Gathering Storm - Egypt
2) NeuDemogyptica - Arabia
3) Glory of War - China
4) Roleplay - Spain
5) Vox Controli - Persia
6) Lux Invicta - Ottomans
7) Legoland - Carthage

Kloreep pretty much summed up what happened and the fun with accelerated production and the unexpected change in level.

Sorry, Spiffor, I know that we don't have a lot of info re: Legoland in our forum yet - but we took our original turn very late (and of course now we will have to replay it again).
Old December 2, 2002, 21:59   #5
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Thanks
Old December 2, 2002, 22:27   #6
Arnelos
Emperor

btw... who has the save now and what's the generally accepted notion for how long a team should be allowed to hold on to the save for???
Old December 2, 2002, 22:35   #7
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Legoland has it; or, more specifically, a European member of our team who is probably sleeping now has it. Once he replays our turn, we'll have redone the first turn.

There is no current limit to how long a team can hold the save, but considering what bad PR it would be to take forever, I think we can count on it going pretty quickly; at least, during the early game.
Old December 2, 2002, 23:13   #8
Arnelos
Emperor

Well, once the first turn is over, I'd expect that most civs would have a very easy time turning around the save very quickly.... the sequence being little more than -end turn-, -end turn-, -end turn-, etc. while their worker is busy and the only thing they have to move is a scout unit (if expansionistic) and/or a warrior (or a worker if they want to scout with that as well).

So perhaps we should schedule a chat for sometime in the rather immediate future? (as in the next 2 days??). I honestly can't see why any team would need longer than a few SECONDS to decide what to do for turns 2-5 of the game (if not 10-20 turns or so afterward as well...).
Old December 3, 2002, 00:01   #9
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 07:57
I'm not sure we need an immediate chat, just a thread saying 'im done my turn, I emailed you the save, do it ASAP', or something like that. As for the chat, weekdays are bad to do it, since there is work/school in one time zone, and sleep/stayupallnightplayingCivIII in another.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old December 3, 2002, 00:13   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
So perhaps we should schedule a chat for sometime in the rather immediate future? (as in the next 2 days??). I honestly can't see why any team would need longer than a few SECONDS to decide what to do for turns 2-5 of the game (if not 10-20 turns or so afterward as well...).
Sorry. Those were not the terms set down some time ago. I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but some of us have many obligations.

Some time ago the consensus was each team would have 24 hours per turn. In another thread it seemed to be welcomed that we would meet this upcoming Sunday for an accelerated session. That is fine, as it has been planed for by myself and others. This past Sunday just sort of happened. Very productive, but not to be expected more than once a week (at most).

And yes, some teams do like to discuss things more thoroughly than a few seconds, or minutes, will allow.
Old December 3, 2002, 01:53   #11
Arnelos
Emperor

If the only thing happening in your turn (as in turns 2-5) is to hit the end turn button, what exactly are you spending 24 hours discussing before passing on the save file???
Old December 3, 2002, 02:22   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Some time ago the consensus was each team would have 24 hours per turn. In another thread it seemed to be welcomed that we would meet this upcoming Sunday for an accelerated session. That is fine, as it has been planed for by myself and others. This past Sunday just sort of happened. Very productive, but not to be expected more than once a week (at most).
Not this weekend, it is the only weekend I can't make it.
Old December 3, 2002, 02:36   #13
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
If the only thing happening in your turn (as in turns 2-5) is to hit the end turn button, what exactly are you spending 24 hours discussing before passing on the save file???
The problem Arnelos, is that on any given turn there may be a major decision needing at least some discussion for any given team. There are 7 of us, therefore 7 times the likelihood that such a situation will happen and bog all other 6 teams in attendance.

That being said, yes. It is not too difficult to be prepared for the next turn (or two) at this point. I will be able to quickly turn around the turn when I receive it, because of all divergent plans the things particular to turn 2 are common to all (lucky maybe). Probably the same for turn 3, maybe 4. However, it should not be assumed that that is the same for all, or shall not change for us. If a scout should top the nearest rise I will be taking 24 hours, rest assured.
Old December 3, 2002, 03:00   #14
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Not this weekend, it is the only weekend I can't make it.
Both Togas and I (the leaders of our team) were absent for the first turn of the game because we were both gone for the weekend.... yet our team, despite taking a little longer (2-3 hours, if I heard right), still managed to turn around the save file to the next team.

I will be gone again this coming weekend (thankfully, that should be the last one I miss for at least the next 2 months) and I'm unsure if Togas will be around this time either, but I'm not complaining about a chat this weekend.

YOU are not YOUR TEAM. There are 12 people on your team if the civgroup count is accurate... So if our team managed to find someone else to handle the save, so can yours.
Old December 3, 2002, 03:53   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:57
I can say that Vox is in the lead and will win the game.
Old December 3, 2002, 04:57   #16
lmtoops
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

In the early game, we can do the turns quickly. But eventually we will have to settle into the 24 hour routine. The leader gets the save. He schedules a chat for the team(if thats how they decide to handle it). The team does their turn and forwards the save.

I don't see a need for an overall turn chat. Each team does their turn as they see fit and forwards as soon as they are done. The chat we had on Sunday was not useful. It was trash talking, speculation on who was where doing what, and thats about it. The real strategy and thinking was done in team chats.

I say dump the overall chats and give teams 24 hours. When a team is finished, forward ASAP
Old December 3, 2002, 12:39   #17
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:57
Quote:
Arnelos, Thank-you. You gave me my first good laugh of the day!
Old December 3, 2002, 13:10   #18
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:57
Well, it does take 12 hours to load it up correctly