Old December 3, 2002, 02:46   #1
dfredc
Settler

Local Time: 03:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Too many cities?
I got this message after trying to build a city. Is there a limit to how many cities can be built in PTW?
Old December 3, 2002, 03:02   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 04:58
Yes, 512. It's been that way pretty much since Civ III came out. I think they raised it in the very first patch. Hopefully now that they have really humungous maps, they'll think of raising it again.
Old December 3, 2002, 03:04   #3
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 07:58
yes there a city limit that you can reach in Civ3!!
Dont know how many you can build so... and I dont know if they count all the city from all the openents, or just your city.

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old December 3, 2002, 03:48   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:58
512 for all civs.
Old December 3, 2002, 10:17   #5
dfredc
Settler

Local Time: 03:58
Thank you all for your response.

512 cities may seem like a lot, but playing on a huge map with many Civ's... I pity the Civ that is slow city-building.

At least it is a comfort to know that the other Civ's can't build cities either.
Old December 3, 2002, 11:26   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

If you play a giga map pangea or continents, the limit will leave vast tracks of unclaimed territory, the computer will likely avoid the desert/tundra/jungle (unless there is a (future) resource there) What sucks is when there is great city spots that can't be filled, do you abandon your not so great cities? do you raze enemies cities?

I wish the limit was raised.

It also is kind of an expolit-31 civs, thats what, less than 20 cities each. If I can make 20 quickly and keep going, I am crippling some civ someplace. Also, after that early war when I double my size, all the other civs can't expand to fill their land.
Old December 3, 2002, 15:34   #7
Skeeve
Prince

Even more fun on Elimination
It's really fun when you're playing Elimination.

Once you reach the max of 512 cities on the map (If you get that far), then you can do this:
  • Build about a Dozen Settlers
  • Declare war on some neighbor and take his weakest city.
  • Since his whole empire lies in ruins now, you can populate the territory with your settlers! Instant Imperialism!
If you and the former enemy have railroads, the process is all the more faster.

I probably wouldn't try this on MP due to the dangers of someone doing the same thing to you.
Old December 3, 2002, 15:43   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: Even more fun on Elimination
Quote:
Originally posted by Skeeve
It's really fun when you're playing Elimination.

Once you reach the max of 512 cities on the map (If you get that far), then you can do this:
  • Build about a Dozen Settlers
  • Declare war on some neighbor and take his weakest city.
  • Since his whole empire lies in ruins now, you can populate the territory with your settlers! Instant Imperialism!
If you and the former enemy have railroads, the process is all the more faster.

I probably wouldn't try this on MP due to the dangers of someone doing the same thing to you.
sounds dangerous. sounds fun, but I doubt I could make it to 512 cities that way, the civs would just perish too quickly, and too much temptation to take out a civ. but sounds interesting.
Old December 5, 2002, 14:26   #9
Skeeve
Prince

As it turns out, I've played a few games on Elimination now - none on huge maps so the total cities never approached 512, but I noticed a few interesting things:
  • The AI is not as quick to settle previously owned land as it is in the beginning of the game when claiming neutral territory. You can therefore take your time settling the area - making sure you are well defended.
  • The AI has no clue how to effectively play on Elimination. I suspect - but haven't tried yet - that victory on Deity may actually be easily achievable. For example, the AI places cities anywhere and everywhere with no 'Elimination' protective strategy.
  • I have been able to eliminate entire civilizations by simply being dragged into war by mutual protection pacts. All I did was take the weakest city and *POOF* they're gone. Not very realistic, but fun factor is very high!
  • Conquest victory is rather too easy (again, haven't played Deity yet), so I recommend disabling it. Same for Domination.
While elimination may lack realism, it sure makes up for it in being real fun to have that "instant Justice" when a nation provokes you! (No Nukes Required!)