Old December 3, 2002, 06:55   #1
JimJack
Settler

Local Time: 11:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
hehe, one more basic question
and it is....
how can i upgrade obsolete units. i have so many hoplites and now i got into a war against the romans. i my hoplites to be musket men.
is there a button for this? i also got leonardos workshop

Greetz,

JimJack
Old December 3, 2002, 07:22   #2
john20bsn
Settler

Local Time: 12:58
Some units such as Hoplites and swordsmen you cannot upgrade. I generaly try not to build too many swordsmen as they become obsolete quickly. Hoplites are an excellent unit up until musketeers.
Old December 3, 2002, 07:37   #3
JimJack
Settler

but how can i upgrade? in civ2 i just clicked on the unit and then said update.....
is there a button?
i really can´t update hoplites? in the civilepedia (or however this is spelled) it says they upgrade to musket men.
Old December 3, 2002, 07:43   #4
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 07:58
First off, remember you can only upgrade land unite from a city with a barracks (sea units need harbors, air units need airports).

If you activate an individual hoplite, you can
1) Upgrade him by clicking on the lightning-bolt button
2) Upgrade him by pressing "u"
3) Upgrade all your hoplites at one by pressing Shift-U...but this will take a boatload of money, and only work on hoplites in cities with barracks.

If you go to the military advisors screen and choose to sort your military by units (the default is by city), you can upgrade all units of a particular type by right-clicking on them one by one.

Edit - I thought you could upgrade any UU that replaces an upgradeable unit. For example, you can upgrade War Elephants because they replace knights, which are upgrageable, but you can't upgrade Immortals, since they replace Swordsmen, who are not ungradeable. Since hoplites replace spearmen, I would have thought they could be upgraded. But then I'm a newbie...
Old December 3, 2002, 07:47   #5
JimJack
Settler

thanks man.
now i will go on and kick the ceasar balls.......
Old December 3, 2002, 08:18   #6
theNiceOne
Warlord

Local Time: 12:58
Rufus: You were correct in the first place. UU's can generally be upgraded (from and to), but only if the unit they replaces can be similarly upgraded.

So since a swordman cannot be upgraded, a unit that replaces the swordman (immortal, legionary) cannot be upgraded either. (Until PTW that is, when you have medielval infantry).

The Hoplite can indeed be upgraded as it replaces the spearman. However, it is a special case. Normally it would be upgraded to pikemen, but that makes little sense, since it has identical stats. Therefore, the hoplite upgrades directly to musketman.

So put a hoplite in a city with barracks and access to saltpeter and you will see the upgrade button (a flash). Push on it, or press U and you'll get a musletman (and lose some money).
Old December 3, 2002, 08:33   #7
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 07:58
Nice to know I'm slowly getting a handle on things.

One more thing, JimJack: upgrading counts as a turn, so you can't upgrade a unit and use it that same turn. (although I have read here that, apparently, you can if you do the upgrade from the military advisor's screen; I haven't done it this way, so I'm not sure).
Old December 3, 2002, 09:49   #8
Laertes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
upgrading counts as a turn, so you can't upgrade a unit and use it that same turn.
But you can do it the other way around - move a unit into a barracks, and then shift-u on another unit of the same type upgrades it, along with all the others.
Old December 3, 2002, 10:14   #9
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 06:58
If the city does not have any barracks, the units in this city can't be upgraded. You also need to have the ressources required for the upgrade (i.e. if you upgrade horsemen to knight, you need iron).

Originally, you could not upgrade UU's, but that was a bug which was fixed in the first Civ3 patch...

--Kon--