Old December 3, 2002, 09:47   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Who Has the Game Save?
Would each team post in this thread when they past the game to the next team. This will make it much easier for us to track whose turn it is and how long it will be before each team's turn.

Thread for posting when Save is transferred between teams.

ORDER OF PLAY (Team Names Link to their Private Forums)
Gathering Storm
Neu Demogyptica
Glory of War
Roleplay
Vox Controli
Lux Invicta
Legoland

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; January 2, 2003 at 08:02.
Old December 3, 2002, 10:35   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 12:58
Legoland has sent their the 4000BC savegame to Gathering Storm (nye) today at about 9:00am GMT.
Old December 3, 2002, 11:44   #3
Borc
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

and until now nye did not send the file to me!
Old December 3, 2002, 12:34   #4
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:58
Well right now you guys can send the save to me. It was just that by the time it was to play the Legoland turn I could not do it, so had the back up play it for me. So the next turn you can send to me. I just hope we can get this game moving as the next 10 turns would just me watching the worker build a road or mine.
Old December 3, 2002, 12:42   #5
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:58
NYE said he will not be available to play when Legoland is done with the save (either he's at work or asleep, I don't remember which).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 3, 2002, 12:47   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

So who has it? Legoland, Borc, or nye?

This is why I wanted a thread for saves so we can track the game. We have no way of knowing where this game is. Supposedly Legoland redid their turn over 24 hours ago, what's going on?
Old December 3, 2002, 12:49   #7
Borc
Warlord

it would be enough if the sender a) sends the file to the next one b) make a post here that the file is sended
Old December 3, 2002, 12:52   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Borc
it would be enough if the sender a) sends the file to the next one b) make a post here that the file is sended
I would be fine with that, but NO ONE has posted they have sent the files in the save tracking thread.
Old December 3, 2002, 12:56   #9
Borc
Warlord

so i will be the first who will post it there :-))
Old December 3, 2002, 13:06   #10
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

If there are passwords for each of the teams, why don't we POST the sav here, or in another thread, then ANY MEMBER of the next team can (according to their team rules) play out the teams turn and post the sav for the next team.

No confusion as to what team member you are supposed to send the sav to...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old December 3, 2002, 13:08   #11
Borc
Warlord

with a password it would be ok!
Old December 3, 2002, 13:15   #12
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

I think that we should turn this thread into a tracking thread so that everyone knows were the game is at all times. Also if we post every turn on a thread, you know how much space that will take up over time?? I dont think that the mods here will be to happy with that. Besides some teams have certain people they want playing the game, not the whole team. Also someone can still hack into the PBEM game even with passwords. I dont know how it can be done, but I know that it is possible.

This is what we can do.
First send pm to all team leaders and the vp with the email of everyone.
Then when you send the game off send it too both.
Then when you send it post it here.
I would also repost the order in here as well, and I would not post the emails in here etheir, I already got spamed once with 500 emails I dont want it to happen again.
Old December 3, 2002, 13:21   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
If there are passwords for each of the teams, why don't we POST the sav here, or in another thread, then ANY MEMBER of the next team can (according to their team rules) play out the teams turn and post the sav for the next team.

No confusion as to what team member you are supposed to send the sav to...
That was the original plan but Borc said he would quit the game if we posted password protected saves.
Save Game Thread
Old December 3, 2002, 13:25   #14
Borc
Warlord

i would accept password protected saves in a password protected thread! (because the passwords of the saves are worthless :-/ )
Old December 3, 2002, 13:36   #15
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

How exactly are the passwords useless? Are you saying that I can load your sav without knowing the password?

Sorry if that is a stupid question, but computers and hacking are not my area of expertise.

Even if that is the case, what is to stop such an unscrupulous person/team from doing it anyway? We have A save, why couldn't they just continue playing out the other teams turns with it? I really don't understand the objection, can you clarify it for me a bit, please?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old December 3, 2002, 13:40   #16
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:58
Unorthodox: Isn't it the case that you can load a PBEM game up as if it were a normal SP game and bypass all the passwords and see the whole map?

Obviously for this to happen somebody who have to be 1) A cheater or 2) Very stupid. Hopefully we have none of the first group in this game, but I fear we have some of the second group.

Or have I have misunderstood something somewhere? I could easily be wrong because i don't have PTW, but this was the impression I got from other threads I've read.
Old December 3, 2002, 13:42   #17
Jack_www
King

Quote:
How exactly are the passwords useless? Are you saying that I can load your sav without knowing the password?

Sorry if that is a stupid question, but computers and hacking are not my area of expertise.

Even if that is the case, what is to stop such an unscrupulous person/team from doing it anyway? We have A save, why couldn't they just continue playing out the other teams turns with it? I really don't understand the objection, can you clarify it for me a bit, please?
Well he stated before that he trusts the team leaders and no one else, that they would be honest enough not to hack into the game. But if we post savs on a thread in here were anyone can get to it they can hack into game. Passwords are only make it a little hard for them, but you can do it if you know what to do, and I would imagine that it is not so hard to find out etheir. Just because it has a password means it is safe. I too dont want them posted in open thread like that so anyone who wants and pick into the save game.
Old December 3, 2002, 13:42   #18
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

If that is so, how is NOT posting the sav really helping to stop an unscrupulous team from taking advantage of that fact, anyway? If this will speed up the game in any way, is it not worth the 'risk'? Let's say NYE can't play, instead of us waiting for him to get online and forward the sav to his backup, his backup could load it and pass it on much quicker this way...

Another question, how would making that a passworded thread solve anything? If each member of each team has the password to access the thread, what difference would it make if the thread was passworded?

If people are going to cheat, not posting the sav is not really going to stop them from cheating, that is what I am getting at. I can't really see any of the teams wanting to win so badly that they would cheat in such a manner.

Then, maybe I am just a trusting fool.

Again, how is limiting the sav, in any manner, really preventing cheating?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; December 3, 2002 at 13:47.
Old December 3, 2002, 13:43   #19
Borc
Warlord

everybody can reveal the map very easy... its a simple trick... such simple that people said to me i better should stop to describe it here...

fact is that i will trust every team member of every team... but i dont want the saves to be downloadable for everybody else...

if i would want (and i dont have to be a hacker genious!) then i would need only 5 minutes to post a picture of your start position right here... :-/
Old December 3, 2002, 13:44   #20
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www

Well he stated before that he trusts the team leaders and no one else, that they would be honest enough not to hack into the game. But if we post savs on a thread in here were anyone can get to it they can hack into game. Passwords are only make it a little hard for them, but you can do it if you know what to do, and I would imagine that it is not so hard to find out etheir. Just because it has a password means it is safe. I too dont want them posted in open thread like that so anyone who wants and pick into the save game.
This problem would be completely solved if we could attach the saves to posts in our private forums. We really need to shout loudly at Mark and Dan to let us do that! We need to attach badly.
Old December 3, 2002, 13:48   #21
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
If that is so, how is NOT posting the sav really helping to stop an unscrupulous team from taking advantage of that fact, anyway? If people are going to cheat, not posting the sav is not really going to stop them from cheating, that is what I am getting at.
Actually I agree with you on this one, if people want to cheat they will - there is a million and one ways to do it whether we post the saves or not.

All we need to keep track of the save files is the ability to attach them in our private forums (if teams want to) and a tracking thread here for all the usual PBEM posts such as "Save sent to Legos" and "GS received the save, we'll play it soon and send it on".
Old December 3, 2002, 14:03   #22
Borc
Warlord

FILE ON THE WAS
3950 save on the way to GhengisFarb now :-)
Old December 3, 2002, 14:18   #23
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:58
I'm here for Vox, if needed.
Old December 3, 2002, 14:20   #24
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I assume that NYE just sent you our new 3950 turn Borc?

In that case, good work on getting yours done quickly.
Old December 3, 2002, 15:35   #25
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Please post your team name when reporting a sent file.

BFM
Lux Invicta
Old December 3, 2002, 18:01   #26
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:58
Important note concerning Vox Controli -

At this very early stage we saw no point in having a constant player who plays the turns.
The little decisions were made in our forum, so when it's our turn to play just check which of our members are online and PM one of them(or use this forum) to get an email address.
Old December 3, 2002, 18:07   #27
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:58
I assume that GhengisFarb has the save file right now... but I have no idea whether he knows Togas' e-mail address (he certainly doesn't know mine) and whether to send it to him
Old December 3, 2002, 18:33   #28
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

GF is not on line right now (yes there is a first for everything), but I have Togas's e-mail address. I'll give it to him...
Old December 3, 2002, 19:17   #29
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:58
I'll be online a lot today/tommorrow. I can play Vox Controlli. You can e mail my profile address or Krusher3X@yahoo.com
Old December 3, 2002, 23:58   #30
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
I assume that GhengisFarb has the save file right now... but I have no idea whether he knows Togas' e-mail address (he certainly doesn't know mine) and whether to send it to him
Nope, no one has sent me the game. Borc sent it during the first turn to both of my email addresses but I haven't received anything today.