Old January 2, 2003, 18:44   #301
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
And off to Tegotand...
Sent to Wegowand...
Old January 2, 2003, 18:46   #302
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 07:59
It's a habit.
Old January 3, 2003, 16:05   #303
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:59
Okay, I have to go to a prior engagement so someone else from my team will have to play our turn as I am out of the loop for the next 9 hours.

Send the game save to me and Donegeal and I should be able to access my email and forward it to someone later.

Also Panzer32, Hot_Enamel, and Aro should be able to play the turn if they are available. They are all aware of the instructions for this turn.
Old January 3, 2003, 16:10   #304
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:59
Come on GoW. Togas, Trip and myself are all online, so play your turn and 3 teams will be able to play quickly.
Old January 3, 2003, 16:14   #305
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Just in time for Lego to delay us another 12 hours.
Old January 3, 2003, 16:31   #306
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 12:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
You have no idea how much we have to manage within that thin 24 hour frame... so many cities, so many units... And yet, we still manage to forward the savegame before 24 hours run out. ALWAYS.

Now, seriously. I assure everybody that we are well aware of the fact our turns take most time and we are currently discussing ways to improve our response time considerably. Hopefully, we should be faster in the near future.
Old January 3, 2003, 16:56   #307
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

To be honest, I'm quite impressed at which the speed of this game is going, I expected it to be much slower.
Old January 3, 2003, 16:58   #308
alva
Deity

I know of a PBEM game that started way before this and is nowhere near the turn total of this one, and is in fact running behind all the time.
Old January 3, 2003, 17:37   #309
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I wonder which game are you talking about
--Woody Allen
Old January 3, 2003, 18:07   #310
Jon Shafer

I know a PBEM game that started before PTW was out, and still hasn't played the 1st turn.
Old January 3, 2003, 18:17   #311
alva
Deity

allmost,...allmost....
halfway through the first..

Guess what, we waiting for CALC !!!
Old January 3, 2003, 18:28   #312
Jon Shafer

He just posted in our forum a few minutes ago.
Old January 3, 2003, 22:59   #313
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:59
This is the fastest I have ever seen a PBEM game go. Seems like when there is a whole team involved in playing turn you can move it much faster.
Old January 3, 2003, 23:46   #314
alva
Deity

Still early days too, let's see what happens in 5 or 6 months...
Old January 4, 2003, 06:18   #315
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
let's see what happens in 5 or 6 months...
It will be summer
--Woody Allen
Old January 4, 2003, 13:43   #316
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Well, I would just like to let everybody know we are 100% ready to take over delaying the game from Luxes...
Old January 4, 2003, 13:58   #317
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

Well, I would just like to let everybody know we are 100% ready to take over delaying the game from Luxes...
Old January 4, 2003, 15:39   #318
Jon Shafer

This looks like a good time to remind everyone that BFM's been out for a while, and won't be returning until the 13th.
Old January 5, 2003, 08:48   #319
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I won't be available for the next 9 hours so donegeal can hopefully play the turn.
Old January 7, 2003, 05:07   #320
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:59
so what's the deal? Do we load in single player or multiplayer host mode?

damn those bloody Firaxians for not fixing this.
Old January 7, 2003, 09:09   #321
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
Don't you have some naming convention like "PTWDG_2750BC_to_Vox" or "..._to_GS"? If so you would have known that it wasn't your save, if not you should start (and I withdrawal my immoral comment).

[edit] we shouldn't spam this thread, any more on this should be somewhere else.
The save I send is always the default game naming (i.e. Isabella of the Spanish, 2750 BC.SAV). I also make a pre-end turn save for record-keeping (which I suffix with "Pre-end"), and in this instance, I forgot and it overwrote the original.
Old January 7, 2003, 09:31   #322
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Dejon: If you save a PBEM game and reload it, you get another turn of production. This is another bug that has to be fixed. So while keeping a pre-end save for the records is ok, you under no circumstances should reload such a save again and send it as turn. That would be another possible cheat.
Old January 7, 2003, 09:52   #323
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

In all of the PBEM games I have been playing, if you load it through SP you will see your predessor's screen.

If you load it through MP you will the current player's screen behind the prompt asking for the password.

Because Eli loaded up Roleplay's turn he would have glimpsed Roleplay's screen if he had loaded it through MP or GoW's screen if he had loaded it through SP.

The partial glimpse of the current player's screen behind the password prompt is the only bug/oversight I have ever seen or heard of with loading a game through MP mode. Most of the cheats/bugs happen when loading the game through SP mode.

If what Sir Ralph is saying is true, that would mean that the game may have become unbalanced for Roleplay if it has been getting additional turns of production. I always load through MP, play the game, allow Civ3 to use it's own naming convention for the save, then forward it to the next player.

Then I go back and "play" the save again and THAT is where I save for my records, take screenshots, etc.
Old January 7, 2003, 09:57   #324
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Dejon: If you save a PBEM game and reload it, you get another turn of production. This is another bug that has to be fixed. So while keeping a pre-end save for the records is ok, you under no circumstances should reload such a save again and send it as turn. That would be another possible cheat.
Whoa! This explains why I always need to replay the whole turn from the received savegame to be able to take correct screenshots for our chronicle...
Old January 7, 2003, 09:58   #325
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

A reply to someone in the other thread :
[q]
Quote:
Don't you have some naming convention like "PTWDG_2750BC_to_Vox" or "..._to_GS"? If so you would have known that it wasn't your save, if not you should start (and I withdrawal my immoral comment).
We have a naming convention, and the name was correct.

Back to this thread :
Quote:
In all of the PBEM games I have been playing, if you load it through SP you will see your predessor's screen.
Not exactly.

First, I always load from the main menu, in all my games.

The weird thing is that in some certain games, I see the password prompt and my own map in the background. In others I see a black background.
This is not random, because it always happens in some games and not in others.

When receiving correct savegames, I never saw the screen of the previous player.
Old January 7, 2003, 10:05   #326
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Quote:
Not exactly.

First, I always load from the main menu, in all my games.
Even from the main screen it creates bugs and will sometimes skip to the next player's turn.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
The weird thing is that in some certain games, I see the password prompt and my own map in the background. In others I see a black background.
This is not random, because it always happens in some games and not in others.

When receiving correct savegames, I never saw the screen of the previous player.
Okay, I hadn't planned on saying this but here is the lowdown: When you open your save through multiplayer mode the background is centered on the player prior to you's starting location. The map you see is what you have discovered so far. So if you have discovered the area of the team before you you will see that part of the map. If you haven't discovered it yet it will still be shrouded in the fog of war.
Old January 7, 2003, 10:13   #327
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 06:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
A reply to someone in the other thread :
[q]
Quote:
We have a naming convention, and the name was correct.
In this case this is no reason why dissident wouldn't have been able to determine that if he opened the save he would see RP's turn. I'm not saying that this was done intentionally, but certainly in the future people should be careful not to attempt to load a save that is not intend for them.
I'm surprised that others aren't more upset about this. Personally I would like to see this (in the future, not here) become a banable offense. The statement "If you don't want this to happen again..." I find very disturbing, being able to cheat does not make it all right to do so. This sort of cheating will truly ruin this game.
Old January 7, 2003, 10:14   #328
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 06:59
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Okay, I hadn't planned on saying this but here is the lowdown: When you open your save through multiplayer mode the background is centered on the player prior to you's starting location. The map you see is what you have discovered so far. So if you have discovered the area of the team before you you will see that part of the map. If you haven't discovered it yet it will still be shrouded in the fog of war.
Wow, Firaxis really needs to get it's ass in gear.
Old January 7, 2003, 10:19   #329
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
In this case this is no reason why dissident wouldn't have been able to determine that if he opened the save he would see RP's turn. I'm not saying that this was done intentionally, but certainly in the future people should be careful not to attempt to load a save that is not intend for them.
First, it was me who opened the save.
Second, when I said "the name was correct" I meant that the name was correct in the sense that it fit the naming convention.
Old January 7, 2003, 10:34   #330
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Quote:
First, it was me who opened the save.
Second, when I said "the name was correct" I meant that the name was correct in the sense that it fit the naming convention.
And that is what happens when you RENAME saves instead of leaving them the way Civ3 AUTOMATICALLY names them.

My saves to Roleplay are always named "Warmonger of the Warmongers" and the one time I accidentily sent them the wrong save they caught it immediately because it was named wrong.

From what I have surmised in these threads their were two mistakes in this instance:
1) Roleplay sent the wrong save.
2) Roleplay renamed the save. (This made it IMPOSSIBLE for Vox to detect the fact that they had received the wrong save until they had opened it up.)