Old December 19, 2002, 23:01   #241
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 07:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
LI = luxurious invitation

LI = long intermission

LI = longevity insecure
Old December 19, 2002, 23:08   #242
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
turn sent to Lux Invicta 3350BC

3 minutes- beat that!!! I dare ya
So you have tied my 3-minute record. No one has broken the 3-minute barrier yet.
Old December 20, 2002, 09:52   #243
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Dissident -

VC = very conscientious

VC = viciously cwik

VC = vite comme (GoW)
Old December 20, 2002, 12:01   #244
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

After all this difficulty with corruption and stuff I'm definitely leaning towards the idea that we should have 2-4 human civ games in some sort of Tournement style.

Then the set of games would pit the higher scoring teams against one another until we had a reigning champion.
Old December 20, 2002, 12:12   #245
Borc
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Local Time: 12:59
no ... i like this with 7 teams and we still have the chance to make one turn the day (which would be great for this game)...

i would prefer the idea that every civ gets 100 hours now and for every new turn 4 more hours, so if somebody can do the next turn in 3 minutes then he will have 103 hours 57 minutes left and if you need 20 hours for the next turn? ok! then you have 84 hours left only --- and if a civ has no time at all anymore than they are dead :-) or they have to pay a compensation or we all kill them or ... i dint know :-)))

the only thing is that you have to send the file cc to somebody who makes the game admin! and who tells us how much time is left!

and if a save is corrupted?
then you have to say it within 4 hours... or something
Old December 20, 2002, 12:47   #246
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:59

God save us from German 'efficency'.
Old December 20, 2002, 12:55   #247
Borc
Warlord

its not german ... civ is like chess and if you play it professional as we all try to do then lets take a chess clock! just an idea... btw. if you play slow you will see a yellow card even in the british premier league... and this was not a german game (at least in the beginning
Old December 20, 2002, 14:05   #248
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:59
Who had the corrupted save? Lux? Let me know if you want me to resend. I wasn't sure.
Old December 20, 2002, 14:06   #249
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:59
Would it be possible to set up a bot for something like that??

Could be a great innovation for Apo
Old December 20, 2002, 15:31   #250
Beta
lifer
Deity

Borc - very interesting idea.
Old December 20, 2002, 15:35   #251
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
Who had the corrupted save? Lux? Let me know if you want me to resend. I wasn't sure.
Lux definitely needs you to send it a second time if you haven't already.
Old December 21, 2002, 01:07   #252
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I think its an individual problem not a save problem as while nye's PTW said the file was corrupted Sir Ralph could still play it and while Trip's PTW says the same thing BFM doesn't have any problems playing the save.
Old December 21, 2002, 02:56   #253
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think hotmail is having some problems.

If you use hotmail and get this error, try registering at yahoo and forwarding the save there. That is what I did to resolve it.
Old December 21, 2002, 03:36   #254
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:59
OK I'll post in this thread.

Apparantly he gave the go ahead for BFM to play the save. His copy is alright. I did resend the other one, but the file is the same.
Old December 21, 2002, 04:18   #255
Borc
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
Borc - very interesting idea.
and so easy to do!!! Thanx Betahound for the feedback

at the moment we make a turn every 3 days and that will kill the game - not now but later :-/
so all should think about my idea please... or tell me a better one!
Old December 21, 2002, 05:38   #256
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I think hotmail is having some problems.

If you use hotmail and get this error, try registering at yahoo and forwarding the save there. That is what I did to resolve it.
Good suggestion NYE. I hope Trip will read it (and all other players under Hotmail) It will speed up the game definitely
Old December 21, 2002, 05:39   #257
Zayxus
PtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Idea
What about to send each save to two different email-addresses of each receiver.
Old December 21, 2002, 10:37   #258
Beta
lifer
Deity

Zayxus- yes! Or better yet, 3 players as was suggested by Shiber in an earlier thread.

But at a minimum, yes, two. And if possible, covering different time zones, or at least available during different times of day.

This combined with Borc's idea of a chess-like time limit would be great.
Old December 21, 2002, 10:42   #259
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

The chess like time limit isn't a good idea. It will be unfair and allow teams to send the save at SPECIFIC times they know other teams won't be available to make them lose turns later.

Currently, my team receives the save at 1:00 to 5:00 am and that would force us to stay up all night to get the game turned around within the time limit.
Old December 21, 2002, 10:59   #260
Beta
lifer
Deity

No it isn't and no they won't. What is a team going to do - hah- if I sit on it for 12 hours I can burn the next team who won't be available. I doubt it. Wouldn't be worth it.

And not in keeping with the spirit and intent of the game.

For the specific situation of accomodating the time you get the save from Neu D., let's build in an allowance for time zone. Say an extra 6 hour buffer or something like that.

One of the purposes of this game was to experiment with the new format, and Pbem. I'm sure the intelligent and creative forces of Apolyton can come up with ways of improving the game flow.

Or, hey, maybe most folks are happy with the pace of play (poll time ) and we leave it as it is.

But being members of Apolyton, I would suggest that it behooves us to try and improve the game.

(and no reindeer jokes, please )
Old December 21, 2002, 11:23   #261
Borc
Warlord

lets discuss more about it... for example i have to send the file to ghengis+donegeal... please ghengis+donegeal what would be the best time for you to get the file from us?

our german time window would be 7am - 12pm (we have GMT+1)

i worked out a timetable... its just an example... but maybe we all together can find a way how to make the game faster... please take a look at table.html

Last edited by Borc; December 21, 2002 at 19:07.
Old December 22, 2002, 00:24   #262
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Where's Legoland? It's been 8 hours and not a peep.
Old December 22, 2002, 00:33   #263
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Things are slowing down now. More teams have more things to discuss maybe.
Old December 22, 2002, 00:39   #264
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Things are slowing down now. More teams have more things to discuss maybe.
I don't mind teams discussing things I'd just like a heads up so we know if they are having troubles recieving the game save or not.
Old December 22, 2002, 00:42   #265
notyoueither
Deity

I imagine they would mention it if they had a problem. If they didn't... got any sharp knives?
Old December 22, 2002, 02:08   #266
Spiffor

Jack_www is busy at the moment with university stuff, and asked Vondrack to play all turns for him, and Vondrack seems to be offline since more than a day. We're discussing things, but the polls re upcoming turns are settled IIRC. I'll mail them both to ask them to play the turn
Old December 22, 2002, 02:11   #267
notyoueither
Deity

Thank you.
Old December 22, 2002, 02:22   #268
Spiffor

Well, I've just seen Vondrack was here yesterday about 7 hours after the save was sent... I assume he wasn't aware he got the save, or he didn't have the time
Old December 22, 2002, 03:10   #269
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Well, I've just seen Vondrack was here yesterday about 7 hours after the save was sent... I assume he wasn't aware he got the save, or he didn't have the time
Well, sorry everybody, I did have the save and I did have the time to play the turn. But Jack_www expressly said in our forum he would be assuming his presidential duties (i.e. playing turns) starting from Dec 20. As I did see him online yesterday, I assumed he would play the turn and went to bed without playing our turn.

I have just woken up and seeing the turn was still not played, I played it immediately. I am authorized to do so no earlier than 18 hours since receiving the savegame...

I deeply apologize to everybody for delaying the game unnecessarily (even though still within the allowed time frame). We will have to discuss this in our forum and perhaps make some adjustments to our internal rules. See, it is not easy... Jack_www is our President and as such, is supposed to play the turns (read: make certain decisions, not expressly set by the will of Senate or Ministers). It is both his right and responsibility. I, as the VP, should be only a backup and play the turns only if Jack is unavailable for one reason on another... we do need some sort of an internal rule saying when it's time for me to play, since if we agreed on simply "whoever gets to the save first, plays it", I would effectively become the president - I am working with my comp for 12+ (sometimes that "+" is as much as 6... ) hours a day and my mail is being checked automatically every ten minutes. There is no way Jack_www could match my response time...

Thus, I strictly stick to the 18-hour rule, unless we play a turn where there is actually nothing to decide on the player's own - just carrying orders set by the team.

We may consider changing the limit from 18 hours to something less or... dunno... but I promise we will talk about it.

At least, our saves are never corrupt...
Old December 22, 2002, 03:16   #270
notyoueither
Deity

np Lego.

I too will wait till morning to play the turn. Only because I have had a really cr*p week and am in no condition to play the turn right now...