Old December 3, 2002, 18:32   #1
Demerzel
Warlord

Local Time: 12:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Steal a tech and get one free bug
Not sure if this known about but I've done a quick search and couldn't see any obvious sign of it.

Playing Egyptians ( Civ3 1.29f ), I have plenty of money but little desire to give in to the extortionate demands of the AI, so I choose to steal a tech from them instead.

It's early game so I only have diplomats, so I choose to steal a tech at the cheapest and riskiest rate. I get lucky and get to choose a tech to steal. I choose that tech and then get sent back to the "choose a tech to research" dialog box. Not sure what to research what next, I choose the 2nd option of "what's the big picture?" and instead of being given a overview of techs to research, I get sent back to steal tech screen again. I choose another tech to steal and again return to "choose a tech to research" dialog box. This time it does what it's supposed to and the game carries on.

The first time it happened I wasn't really paying attention as I was partly watching the TV and playing game so I wasn't sure what happened and the steps to reproduce it. However, I later successfully reproduced the bug and stole invention and astronomy off the greeks with just one espionage attempt.

So the steps I followed are:

[ steal tech screen ] steal tech at cheapest rate
[ steal tech overview screen ] choose tech to steal
[ research dialog box ] choose "what's big picture?"
[ steal tech overview screen ] choose (2nd free ) tech to steal

note, you have to be researching the first tech you wish to steal for this to work

It was nice to steal a couple of techs off the enemy, almost makes the tech stealing cost palatable. However, it's certainly a bug, so I thought I'd post it on here.

Note, when the enemy has no techs for you to steal but you have got back to the steal tech overview screen, you get stuck on that screen and I was forced to CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out of it.

So a couple of questions...

1) is this something new to everyone or have I missed this one with my periodic absences from the forums?

2) if it's new and reproducible by other people, I'm guessing it will it be fixed for PtW but what about Civ3? ( I'm guessing not but ... )

Last edited by Demerzel; December 3, 2002 at 18:51.
Old December 3, 2002, 19:02   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:01
Re: Steal a tech and get one free bug
Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
So a couple of questions...

1) is this something new to everyone or have I missed this one with my periodic absences from the forums?

2) if it's new and reproducible by other people, I'm guessing it will it be fixed for PtW but what about Civ3? ( I'm guessing not but ... )
It is a known bug (at least known at 'Poly) so I'm guessing you missed it during one of your absences.

Haven't tried it in PTW, but I hope it's fixed.

Catt
Old December 3, 2002, 20:46   #3
Demerzel
Warlord

Local Time: 12:01
fair enough been absent a fair bit lately. too many forums and not enough me to go around

would be a bit gutting for the person who spent all their resources on techs if this existed in PtW and another used it against them.
Old December 3, 2002, 21:51   #4
Minmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 04:01
its fixed in PtW
Old December 4, 2002, 06:05   #5
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 15:01
I wonder, about techs, when I create Darwin's voyage, and get the two extra techs, it allways says something like "Sire, we learned Magnetism from the russians" What the heck? I do get the techs, usually atomic and electronics (or what the techs before hoover are...)