Old December 3, 2002, 19:10   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Windowed?
checking this screenshot: http://moo3.quicksilver.com/cool/oct...relations.html

it looks as if the game is in a windowed mode. is this just for development or are there plans to have it windowed? i loved civ2 for that
Old December 4, 2002, 06:57   #2
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 14:01
yeess, windowed would be nice..

Just noticed something wrong with that pic, the Casus Belli slider is all the way to -190, but it say -10
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2002, 20:39   #3
rob.derosa
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:01
During the development stage games are mostly in windows, so the code can be viewed and edited while the game is running.
rob.derosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2002, 13:30   #4
Trifna
King

Local Time: 20:01
May I just ask what's the Casus Belli? I saw it, heard it... but don't remember or it's just never been in my mind... My latin is bad
Old December 5, 2002, 23:13   #5
Gooberman32
Warlord

I think its some form of diplomatic realtions meter
Old December 6, 2002, 03:34   #6
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:01
IIRC, it's an attempt to make the AI less quixotic. Rather than having a single relations bar that can go from "we love you, we're glad to have this allinace" to "grr, you were framed, war time!", you have the actual state of relations, and you have Casus Belli. Only Casus Belli is affected by diplomatic actions, spy actions, etc; each turn, Casus Belli pulls your actual relations closer toward its own state.

This way, while it may (or may not; I'm not a beta tester, so I can't tell you) be easy to get really bad cassus belli all of a sudden, you'll still get a chance to make it up to close allies, and you'll have a while before relations with allies actually start to sour.
Old December 6, 2002, 07:46   #7
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

I thought "casus belli" means loosely translated "reason for war", or "reason to declare war".
Then a high casus belli rating with another empire would mean you could declare war, without taking a big reputation hit among the other empires, since you have a valid reason to declare war.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2002, 09:10   #8
player1
Emperor

It's more like:

Out people love you, or our our people hate you.

While official diplom. relations are something dictated by leade, casus belli is more like people feeling about other empire.

For example it would be bad to declare war on race which was very good to your people for centureies.

P.S.
Of course I'm just guessing.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2002, 11:13   #9
Trifna
King

I know "belli" is a word that's to fight: belli-gerant, "belliqueux" in French... so has to do with war.
Old December 6, 2002, 12:04   #10
MariOne
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy
I thought "casus belli" means loosely translated "reason for war", or "reason to declare war".
Then a high casus belli rating with another empire would mean you could declare war, without taking a big reputation hit among the other empires, since you have a valid reason to declare war.
Exactly.

'Casus' is one of those multipurpose words.
While it could be loosely translated with 'case', actually in Latin it has indeed more the shade of 'reason', 'motive', ore more generally 'occasion', 'event'.

Indeed, the locution 'casus belli' *definitely* refers to a SINGLE event, the one which caused the war itself to break out, even if eventually a pretext.
Like the murder of Franz Ferdinand was for WWI, for instance (while the real motives were more widely and significantly rooted in the economic and political scenario in whole Europe, dating back and building up since sometimes and not related to the single accidental event).

'bellum' means plainly 'war' in Latin, where 'belli' is the genitive: 'of the war'.
See Caesar's "De bello gallico" or "About the Gaul war".

This is why the term 'Casus Belli', to someone who understands a minumum of Latin, really STRIDES with the concept of a *stance*, or of a "meter"...

Lemmy's interpretation makes sense, stressing the fact that a build up of tension and hostility motives is NOT a 'Casus Belli', where a single offending action is: "THIS means war!"

(EDIT: I had confused the name of the assassinated archduke with Franz Josef, his uncle the emperor...)

Last edited by MariOne; December 10, 2002 at 07:28.
MariOne is offline   Reply With Quote