Old December 3, 2002, 20:34   #1
bigfree1

Is "Abandon City" gone for PTW?
I try right clicking and there is no option to abandon city; How are you supposed to get rid of a city now?

Old December 3, 2002, 20:54   #2
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 07:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's there. At least it is for me. Is the city empty? Maybe you need a unit to do it, a la SMAC.
Old December 3, 2002, 21:44   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

yea, but it takes a turn in MP now.

Old December 3, 2002, 22:46   #4
Shr3dZ
Warlord

Local Time: 12:01
Last night during a MP game I noticed it say that it would take 2 turns to abandon a city directly after aquiring it. Wuts the deal with that? Is it suppose to give the person a chance to get it back? Is it to see if it will culture flip before it is destroyed? Is it to show that it takes awhile to burn the city to the ground?
Old December 3, 2002, 22:57   #5
bigfree1

In a SP game (Don't know about MP) there IS no longer an option where you can right click on a city and choose "Abandon City."

In order to get rid of the city I had to limit food production so that a settler was produced when the population reached two.

I hate having to do this why cant you just choose to abandon the city, with no settler appearing?

Old December 3, 2002, 23:24   #6
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:01
Were you playing with elimination on? I haven't tried it, but that's a possibility.
Old December 4, 2002, 13:34   #7
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 04:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Shr3dZ
Last night during a MP game I noticed it say that it would take 2 turns to abandon a city directly after aquiring it. Wuts the deal with that? Is it suppose to give the person a chance to get it back? Is it to see if it will culture flip before it is destroyed? Is it to show that it takes awhile to burn the city to the ground?
I'd like an explaination of this, too. I started a thread earlier complaining about the fact that you no longer have the option to raze the city upon capture in MP mode... and now, as Shr3dZ reports, it can take several turns to abandon a city (this seems to be a factor of the city's size - but I could be mistaken - might have something to do with it's cultural value, too).

If I'm at war, I'd rather burn the city if I think one of the following could happen:

a.) I don't have enough military present to defend it, making it likely that it'll be re-captured, and I'll lose the city (along with a percentage of my treasury - another 'feature' I've always hated)

b.) I have all kinds of military present to defend it, but the city will 'flip' back to the other side, absorbing all of said military with it.

Situation 'a' is a calculated risk in real-life warfare - counter attacks are a reasonable thing to deal with, although I don't think it realistic to have an equal portion of my treasury transferred to a captured city in a time of war. I could almost live with this.

Situation 'b' on the other hand, is absurd, and not at all realistic. Even if the city does 'flip', your military should be returned to you (perhaps automatically moved to the nearest friendly city, or at least outside the enemy's cultural border, like when you're asked to 'leave or declare war.'
Old December 4, 2002, 13:43   #8
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

In SP, I abandon cities all of the time...haven't been involved in MP much yet...
Old December 4, 2002, 14:33   #9
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 05:01
Quote:
Originally posted by bigfree1
In a SP game (Don't know about MP) there IS no longer an option where you can right click on a city and choose "Abandon City."
Yes there is, I just looked. The very bottom of the second section, just below "Set Rally Point".
Old December 4, 2002, 21:14   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:01
There are cities it will not allow you to abandon. Your capitol, and cities with Wonders in them (I think). This is in MP, and it does take a while sometimes.
Old December 4, 2002, 21:56   #11
Brutus66
Prince

Give me the Raze option back, Firaxis- it's only historically accurate after all.
Old December 10, 2002, 06:22   #12
bigfree1

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay
Were you playing with elimination on? I haven't tried it, but that's a possibility.
It WAS an elimination game. I was trying to get rid of a city I had captured. I didn't realize at first it was an elimination game because the civilization (for the city that I captured) was found to have another city.

Upon completion of the game a replay showed that while all cities were destroyed when I captured that city, the civ was allowed to re-start in a different location; which was in fact pretty close to me.

This shouldn't have happened in an elimination game; civ's should not be re-started by default regardless of what is or what is not checked at game start-up.

Old December 10, 2002, 23:36   #13
Pyrkaige
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:01
Quote:
Originally posted by bigfree1

It WAS an elimination game. I was trying to get rid of a city I had captured. I didn't realize at first it was an elimination game because the civilization (for the city that I captured) was found to have another city.
You can never abandon a city in an elimination game, which makes sense as the entire point of that sort of game is that losing a city for any reason means that you lose the game. I've never had a problem with abandoning cities (not that I do it much) in any other single-player PTW games; it appears that there are some restrictions on it that didn't used to be there. Personally, this sounds like a good thing; the whole idea of abandoning your capitol just to get it your palace to automatically pop up elsewhere always seemed like it was bordering on cheating.

Quote:
This shouldn't have happened in an elimination game; civ's should not be re-started by default regardless of what is or what is not checked at game start-up.
That's why there's an option there, so you can turn that off if you want to. It's a bit silly to have a civilization reappear after being wiped out in an elimination game, but it would be far worse to not have the option mean anything. OTOH, it would be helpful if you could get a brief review of the options selected for the game while you're playing it; if you jump between different games like I do, it can occasionally be hard to remember exactly which game had what option.
Old December 11, 2002, 16:37   #14
piratebrun
Chieftain

Quote:
OTOH, it would be helpful if you could get a brief review of the options selected for the game while you're playing it; if you jump between different games like I do, it can occasionally be hard to remember exactly which game had what option.
YEAH! Exactly... would be REALLY nice!
Old December 12, 2002, 17:24   #15
Rahotep
Settler

i just build settlers when the city is a level 2 city or below when the settler is built it asks me whether i want abandon city
Old December 12, 2002, 18:08   #16
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 08:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrkaige
You can never abandon a city in an elimination game, which makes sense as the entire point of that sort of game is that losing a city for any reason means that you lose the game.
That's the root cause exactly, Pyrkaige. In fact, it's a darn good thing that the 'abandon city' option is disabled during elimination because it would be suicidal.

Another thing one has to watch out for during elimination is culture flips. All it takes is for you to lose one city and BAM, game over.