Old December 10, 2002, 16:03   #31
Shnozwangler
Settler

Local Time: 12:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
FYI, Game spot web site has been updated in the last few hours to show that MoO3 will be out 1/16/2003...

excuse me while i go and sink into a deep dispair in some corner... It is borderline stupid that I would get so worked over the release of a vidio game - but damn! I have been following this for over 2 years now, dreaming of the day i could continue the MoO saga.

In the end, we should all give the MoO team some thanks. By releasing the game after xmas, we can all enrich our lives by actually spending some time with our families this holiday season; rather than hunched over our PCs with dried egg-nog on our unwashed cloathes and turkey sandwich crumbs floating in the cold and stale coffee mugs

IMHO
Shnozwangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2002, 16:45   #32
booje
Chieftain

While jimmytrick may certainly be talking out of this ass i had a conversation about the delay of the game with my boyfriend who worked at Disney for quite some time. There are some parallels here since games are also entertainment. In any case, he was surprised the release had been so sloppy and that if it were a movie, the suits and execs would have fired all the people and finished production to rush it out if they had missed as many dates as MOO3 has. As incentive they might've refused to cut checks before firing them.
Sorry to say but the current scenario makes sense even if jimmytrick is making it up. Hence also the massive leaks about the game since it really is code complete and it also explains a lead developer leaving before publishing. While I do respect the developers, it's hard to believe the investors would let Xmas sales slip by. The developers probably won't care to miss Xmas sales since they've already been paid (mostly under this scenario). In the end, QSI can scrape together cash and release it anyway leaving Infrogrames out in the cold.
This is the current state of the gaming industry. Crap.
booje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2002, 16:52   #33
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Local Time: 07:02
For frap's sake, folks, there isn't some nutty conspiracy to keep the game out of IG's hands. Rantz is the creative director for the game. The art assets have been locked down for weeks. There's not much left for him to do, apart from lending his efforts as a tester. He doesn't write code, he doesn't fix bugs. I don't read anything sinister into his taking a vacation now... and neither should you.
Lee Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2002, 21:05   #34
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

My source is a network engineer employed by the US government and a beta tester for the Starfleet Command series (Interplay, Activision). It's not unlikely that he was feeding me a line of bull, but Mark, that was no troll. I sent him an email, maybe he will contact Mark and get me off the hook.

Anyway, Mark is always looking for an excuse to ban me AND to slander me. Nothing new there.

We shall see what we shall see.
Capt Dizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 00:02   #35
canimoo2
Settler

Wether or not jimmy is a troll, I do not know. However, there are some rather thought provoking articles to be found on the news wires.

The attached are interesting reads. Make special note of the second article, second paragraph. Although I do not have any confirmation, it does give one pause for thought.

http://www.gamers.com/news/1216038

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=1747923

And just as a way of showing balance. The attached article pretty much says the opposite of the other two.
Draw your own conclusions.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021126/nytu141_1.html
canimoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 02:57   #36
Sammual
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by canimoo2

Wether or not jimmy is a troll, I do not know. However, there are some rather thought provoking articles to be found on the news wires.

The attached are interesting reads. Make special note of the second article, second paragraph. Although I do not have any confirmation, it does give one pause for thought.

http://www.gamers.com/news/1216038

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=1747923

And just as a way of showing balance. The attached article pretty much says the opposite of the other two.
Draw your own conclusions.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021126/nytu141_1.html
Read them again.

The Parent Infogames (Europe) is in BIG financial trouble.

The US Infogames is doing rather well.

There is also a BIT of tension between the two (I am not going to create any more rumors about why. The news sites are where I get my info).

My best guesses are;

Infogames US wants to hold the game up until 2003 to spead the tax write offs around.

Infogames Europe needs cash ASAP and wants it out the door.

QS doesn't care one way or another. Infogames US pays them and they want a shot at Master of Magic II so they will side with Infogames US.

Sammual - Whatever, just make sure the game rocks when I get it.
Sammual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 04:45   #37
Gooberman32
Warlord

Local Time: 20:02
I understand that Jimmytrick may have a good reason to believe his source, the source being in the industry but that does not make the source reliable. A government network engineer and beta tester may be privy to certain information but the corporate stuff he is talking about, wouldnt that be limited to producers and corporate bigwigs? the flimsiness of this info is leading me to believe what he saying is has very little concrete backing.
Old December 11, 2002, 10:07   #38
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 13:02
It's just another rumour. Financially unstable companies are rife with them. Not quite sure how we get from rumour to flaming bannable troll-post though?
Old December 11, 2002, 17:34   #39
Kc7mxo
King

Can you imagine the rioting if infogrames went under and moo3 was dumped? I suppose QS could try and bring back sharware game distribution. Heh heh.
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 17:56   #40
yoda
Prince

Local Time: 04:02
Financial trouble
Speculation is interesting. Infogrames stock price suggests it has serious problems. The 50M shot in the arm has stabalized the situation for the short term.

So, as QS, how do you proceed? If you have an agreement where profits are shared through some sort of royalty once the game is released, how can you protect that royalty? If Infogrames goes under, creditors seize assets. That means QS may be out a great deal of potential revenue!

Of course, this is all speculation. However, if I was QS and was in a situation where my distributor (or publisher) was in trouble, and my profits could be in jepardy, I would sit on the game citing "late game crashes" that need to be fixed. Question is, which "game" is being talked about?
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 23:10   #41
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I personally find the attacks on JT's character out of order.

While droll and humorous and in the past known to troll, the continuos inference that he is full of sh1t somehow bothers me.

Despite his trolling I have found many of his posts amusing, thought provoking, and well downright enlightening at times.

Cut the guy some slack.

If he says he has a source and he tells what that source is wihtout giving away the identity that shoudl be enough and no I don't think he was trolling in this situation.

Personally I hope for IG's sake they aren't in financial troubles as since it looks like they've missed the Xmas window.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Ogie Oglethorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 04:42   #42
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:02
ok Ogie, i have a source telling me that Sid has been actually left the industry(keeping his shares in firaxis) to live in a island on the pacific and (what else?) play civ.

if you saw some photos of him in public, they are all fake.
i'll try to get my source to post here, but it's all true, i tell you!

MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 06:24   #43
ikilledmybroker
Chieftain

Update from a Pacific Island

Sid took the cabin next to mine. He borrowed some sugar yesterday, and mumbled something abot 110v converters for his PC

The rumours MUST be true
ikilledmybroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 07:21   #44
Gooberman32
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
ok Ogie, i have a source telling me that Sid has been actually left the industry(keeping his shares in firaxis) to live in a island on the pacific and (what else?) play civ.

if you saw some photos of him in public, they are all fake.
i'll try to get my source to post here, but it's all true, i tell you!

LOL!!!
Old December 12, 2002, 10:17   #45
Shnozwangler
Settler

Sid is not in the pacific!!!

He took a cabin on the Alaska-British Columbia border and spends all of his time playing pre beta releases of Dionsaurs

Dont you guys know anything?!

I know this cuz a bud of mine told me Sid borrowed form his hermit uncle a cup of fish sticks from for his sled dogs
Old December 12, 2002, 12:01   #46
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

For real fun, check out usenet. The rumours are flying over there. Oh my.
Old December 12, 2002, 12:50   #47
Shnozwangler
Settler

For what its worth the MoO3 official site has been down for better than an hour now.... and no its not my net connection, I got here and also tested to IG's site.

I know, I know... More BS rumor mill shtuff... but with no info form IG or QS when I fully expected to have the game by now, how else am i to spend my pathetic time.

Old December 12, 2002, 13:24   #48
booje
Chieftain

Hmmm...seems to add more legitimacy to the idea that there is something up between the developer and Infogrames...
Old December 12, 2002, 14:00   #49
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

/me thinks we should all stick to the classic sources of information(chantz, quicksilver), who actually deal with the issue on a daily basis...
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 14:24   #50
Shnozwangler
Settler

{authoratative voice}
Move along! Nothing to see here
Movoe along!
{/authoratatative voice}
Old December 12, 2002, 14:56   #51
Shnozwangler
Settler

As of approx 2pm EST, the MoO3 official site is back up...

Call off the rumor mongers!!!!
Old December 13, 2002, 01:33   #52
Gooberman32
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
* MarkG thinks we should all stick to the classic sources of information(chantz, quicksilver), who actually deal with the issue on a daily basis...
IF only they would say something...
Old December 13, 2002, 12:13   #53
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gooberman32

IF only they would say something...
I agree. Their silence in deafening.
Old December 13, 2002, 12:21   #54
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

They've said they are working on it and will release as soon as they can. What else do you really need to know?
Old December 13, 2002, 13:16   #55
Saber Cherry
Settler

There's a new update from Chantz (12/13) on the official MOO3 forums. He says, basically, that the game is not ready to release yet, and offers no indications about dates. It will probably be stickied soon.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2002, 13:59   #56
booje
Chieftain

Rats. That means it probably won't be out until Jan. or Feb.
Old December 13, 2002, 22:56   #57
Gooberman32
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by booje
Rats. That means it probably won't be out until Jan. or Feb.
Possibly,maybe it wont, it might make it before xmas. but im deluding myself, ive got exams up to the first two weeks of jan, i could'nt play anyway. Chantz's update left me wanting to know more what kind of crash bugs are these? maybe the beta testers could tell us.
Old December 13, 2002, 23:12   #58
Demosthenes1234
Chieftain

Hey guys, I know I've been constantly going to Electronics Boutique (in OZ) and they are saying the release date is the 19th of December! So who knows, that was a few days ago i asked but hey its all good. Im checking again soon so I shall keep u informed.
The only thing that is keeping me from going over the edge and into insanity when I keep on finding out the moo3 release date is pushed back is the thought of "well imagine how awesome this game is going to be!"...only problem is the more I think how awesome it is the more frustrated I get..damN! Well, its going to come out eventually. Even if IG is having economic problems, I don't think they will dump moo3, so if ur getting frustrated just chill. Those guys are working their arses off to get the game out, they need encouragment not slander. Oh bytheway MERRY CHRISTMAS!
-Demosthones1234
Demosthenes1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2002, 03:38   #59
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:02
Are how many times have you run inot them being wrong or not even knowing what you are talking about. Too man to count in the 8-10 EB's I have frequented.
I sent my ex out to pick up the guide and the guy at EB said the game was old and not very popular????
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2002, 06:00   #60
Proteus_MST
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I sent my ex out to pick up the guide and the guy at EB said the game was old and not very popular????

But maybe at the Time they find the showstopping bug the game already is old

But no, I donīt hope so.
Letīs hope they find it this week and go gold before xmas
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote