Old December 4, 2002, 02:06   #1
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 12:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nuclear War Stratagy+Help
Alright folks, In my current game I think that this time i've gone and bitten off a little more than i can chew.

Basically, late into the Modern age, I'm the biggest power, by a reasnable margin from India and Greece. China,Japan and Germany are the 2nd Rate powers, with America and France making up numbers.

Every war i've had so far in this game i've won, but now i'm in unfamiliar ground. 1-1, i could take on any civ in the game, but after nuking the Germans i now have the WHOLE world against me .

The Nuclear arms race had never really got going in this game, most countries on the other continent (France,India,China and India btw) were techinally behind, and i had carefully moitered resources on my own Continent, the greeks thank god were not able to get nukes before the war, and the Germans had just one to tactical nuke (which they used to good effect).

I'm now in the following posistion, convientially, my army is very limited, it's depleted and cannot stand up to any campaign, my main cities have enought to defend themselves for a short time. I'm in Anarchy for the next 5 turns,so no production.

At the start of the war, I had 5 ICBM's, and 5 Tactical nukes. I used them in the following ways

Tactically nuked a random german city
ICBM'ed another random german city (cutting off any hope of aliminium in near future)

ICBM'ed the Greek Capital, no trade for now Greece
Tactically nuked 2 other Greek cities, to cut off railway access to my mainland while i prepare.

ICBM'ed the chinese capital - No trade = no nukes for them too, again, i need to prepare

ICBM'ed the Indian Capital, see above

Left the Japanse and americans alone for now

I have 2 tactical nukes left, and 1 ICBM, and 5 turns of Anarchy

My 'stratagy' depends on several points, listed below

1. I have furked up enemy capitals, and in cases where civ's have both Aliminium and the Uranium, cut off a resource, This more or less stops thier ability to build nukes no??

2. I have hit my nearest (and most dangerous!) opponent Greece the hardest, they are the ones who can (and will!) hurt me. I'm lining up defences , and I'm wondering whether to go in with Another ICBM

3. When I get Government back, i will start nuking Enemy cities which have plains instead of grassland, for maxium effect.

4. I have an army of workers at the ready, if worst comes to worse, i should be able to clean up fast, and forest in order to stop losing plains to desert.

5. I have a 'colder' empire than anyone else, i figure this means i'll suffer less from global warming than my equatar neighbours

5. I have put convential weapons on the backburner , and will focus on nukes, but MA do seem very stong tho....

6. I will use my reasnable naval power to play 'spot the sub with the sub on, just in case.

However i'm left wondering some other points

1. Everyone declared war on me when i nuked Germany, but no-one declared war on them, if i was to make peace during the war but continue to use nukes, would they re-declare war?? When does it become 'ok' for me to use nukes, and 'bad' for the AI?!?!

2. THere is no way i can realistically take on the world, soldier for soldier, but my theory is that if by continually nuking thier capitals and resources, i can stop thier nuclear capabilities and hence put them into the dark ages, will this work? , what are the possible flaws to that plan??

3. How quick does the Ai build back roads to thier capital and resources?

Also, are there any other effective stratagies for nuclear war?

Cheers
Matt
Old December 4, 2002, 03:12   #2
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 06:02
I think you got a little nuke happy.

I don't have much experience with this, but I think you should have waited to nuke until you had mop up forces in place to attack. But, what's done is done.

I'd try to get out of war with the most threatening civs. The ones with ICBM's and lots of MA.

Quote:
1. I have furked up enemy capitals, and in cases where civ's have both Aliminium and the Uranium, cut off a resource, This more or less stops thier ability to build nukes no??
After a couple of turns, their workers could reconnect the capital and resources. This was a good idea, but I think you needed to have attack troops standing by.

That's about all that I can offer. Sorry. Haven't yet had a nuclear war (with another civ that had nukes).
Old December 4, 2002, 04:20   #3
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 08:02
Surviving in the Nuclear Age:
At the stage when Nukes become prevelent things can get complicated in a hurry, however it is still possible to wage war in the nuclear age, here are a few tips.

1) Diplomacy is very important: If you havent learned your lessons with MPP's and Alliances in the industrial ages then the Nuclear age will come as a rude shock.
a) Do not use Nukes as a first strike, if you do the entire world will declare war on you EXCEPT those countires that are also at war with the Nukie. Even the CIV's who are at war with that CIV will be furious with you for the rest of the game.
b) Conventional war should still be the mode to operate in Nukes should be used only if necessary.

2) If you must use Nukes you should pick your targets carefully:
each nuke that hits will increase Global Warming so make each Nuke count!
a) First target should be the capital
b) Second should be important resources. THe most important of these are Aluminum and Uranium without these you cannot build those wonderful nukes. After that Oil, Rubber, and Iron. (horses and saltpeter are of no real consequence don't waste a nuke on these)
c) After knocking out the enemies resources you may want to target Metros, but this is not necessary. If you have any left I would rather use them against enemy SOD's or retarget the Aluminum and Uranium resources (after waiting a turn to eliminate their work force)
D) When targeting their resources, drop it right on the resource so that you destroy all of the roads and RR's leading to it, if you can get a city also then that is a bonus.

3) Do not stop building a conventional force, a nuke will never destroy a city so you must send in some troops to capture it.

Hope this helps some, Nukes sure do make the CIV 3 world more complicated, and that is the way it is in real life as well.

The answers to your questions
1. If you use nukes and they are not at war with Germany then they will declare war on you.
2. If you are the dominant power as you say you should be able tio take them on in a conventional war, esp considering that after you get the Aluminum, Oil and Rubber supplies the best unit they would be able to produce would be the rifleman. You can keep nuking them of course but you will not put them into the dark ages although their production weould be stifled and their army would be largly deminished.
3. Building roads, RR's depend upon how many workers are on the given task. of course if they have no workers to work the land.....(see tip on retargeting resources)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 4, 2002, 06:36   #4
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 15:02
Me thinks, if a civ is building nuke, and you cut their capital of, they can still finish the nuke, but not start another one. Also, you might want to save a tact, just in case your enemy mounts a powerfull attack on your soil.

Once the brits mounted and attack on me with roughly 100 MI's (!), and I had no nukes... ...for a while...
I got them into a mountainous area, and carefully placed a nuke on them, without taking out too much of my farms. They started retreating, I attacked them with everything I could spare, and only 3 of them returned home... Coastal tiles, or deserts are even better for nuking, for obvious reasons. I wonder why AI allways nukes the dead-center of my city?
Old December 4, 2002, 14:40   #5
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 12:02
That has given me an Idea Tattila, perhaps if i espionage them and find out troop locations, me can nuke thier highest concentraton of troops , and send in the few MA's i have....

and as for question number 1, what i'm saying is, that will any future use of nukes cause people to declare war on me if i now make peace?
Cheers
Matt
Old December 5, 2002, 06:14   #6
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 15:02
I'd quess that Pandora is out of her box, or how was it... It's not such a tabu to use nukes, once someone has used them, so they will not go to war solely for that. They will be pissed at you for the rest of the game, and might go to war from the smallest provocation.
Old December 5, 2002, 08:42   #7
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 08:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Rothy

and as for question number 1, what i'm saying is, that will any future use of nukes cause people to declare war on me if i now make peace?
Cheers
Matt
If you make peace and someone else uses nukes then the rest of the world will declare war against the offender unless they were at war with the civ that got nuked. So if you make peace with CIV X and CIV Y launches nukes at CIV X then any CIV that was not at war with CIV X will declare war against CIV Y. One thing that I am not sure is if you are forced to declare war against CIV Y or not.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 5, 2002, 12:19   #8
DaveMcW
Prince

Local Time: 07:02
Yes, you are automatically set to war with the AI that launches the first nuke. There isn't any message besides losing your resource deals.