Old December 4, 2002, 03:25   #1
Basilisk
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tech for Resources?
In my current game I've found that my territory is rather sparse resource-wise, and often find myself negotiating with other Civs for the ones I need - like Coal and Rubber. They usually want exhorbitant prices, but will settle for a tech. I usually trade one that has no major qualities about it, just leading down the tree. I can usually squeeze payments of gold out of them too.
What does everyone else think of this? Should I be trading my tech for resources?
Old December 4, 2002, 05:58   #2
theNiceOne
Warlord

Local Time: 13:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If you need the resources (which you often do), then buying it by selling techs may be a good tactic.

The downside is of course that the AI will get it cheaper and faster from you than if they researched it themselves, especially since they mostly pay with resources and not gold.

But if there is one or two civs that are behind everyone else in the tech race, and have resources for sale, then this is an excelllent opportunity. You get resources, and the backwater civs won't pay the better civs for these techs, since they get them from you.
Old December 4, 2002, 10:36   #3
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 13:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Think about the fact that you're giving them something which is permanent (technology) while they're giving you something that might, on a good day, last the 20 turns of the deal (resources).

The problem is that you're in a no-win situation. There's nothing to stop the AI from agreeing to an embargo against you the next turn and then you've given up your tech AND get nothing in return (OK they lose a bit of face but since when do they care about that???).

Having said that, if it's the only way to get your goods, then it's a wise thing to immediately sell the same tech to all the civs that don't have it and try to recoup your inevitable losses.