Old December 4, 2002, 14:55   #1
JonahFalcon
Prince

Local Time: 12:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My beta better than the released version?
My beta of Civilization III: Play The World runs perfectly - yet my editor tells me the released version is buggier than hell and virtually unplayable?

Bizarre.
Old December 4, 2002, 16:26   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:04
:: insert your standard rant here ::

also note you were playing mostly firaxians / selected people, not random ones or ones from vast distances.
Old December 4, 2002, 16:37   #3
JonahFalcon
Prince

Multiplayer is fine, but I'm more attracted to the new civs and editors.
Old December 4, 2002, 17:12   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

oh, your one of those people
Old December 4, 2002, 17:52   #5
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Well your editor is right, assuming he/she has never played PtW and only listend to vague rants from various people. Since you're not interested in MP and just SP, you're pretty much fine. Slim to none bugs in PtW SP and certainly no game crashing ones. Just look around on the forum. While opinions on MP differ most people say SP works fine. But anyway, look around, you'll see SP is fine. Wouldn't even needed to post this if you'd bothered to do so, because all this looks like right now is a troll post.
Old December 4, 2002, 18:30   #6
JonahFalcon
Prince

Who are you? I played multi with Firaxites and enjoyed myself. However, Ill more often play single player.

Two words: Bite me.
Old December 4, 2002, 18:53   #7
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

"Firaxites"? Sounds more like you leeched the alpha off some file sharing proggy, but thats another story. The point of my post was that SP in the retail game works fine, and that you wouldn't have needed to post had you looked around the forum first. It wasn't really meant to be rude, I just don't see why you felt the need to start a new thread while not reading anything on the forum to see if it answered your question.
Old December 4, 2002, 19:12   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:04
Many people are finding it difficult to find players with whom they can have good games. There are a few people who cannot really get going at all no matter who they try with (I've seen 1).

There were improvements from version to version through the betas to release and right up to 1.14. I think there will be more.

Certainly, the game was and is playable for most. If you know what to do and if you have people close enough to you Net wise.
Old December 4, 2002, 19:15   #9
JimMac
Prince

Local Time: 13:04
(Er ChaotikVisions,>>Jonah did one of those on-line re/previews of PTW on some fantastic website (whose name I cant remember) and reported that everything was simply super . So I guess he is entitled to come along here and attempt to justify his article)

Actually I had wondered how so many people were reporting so many complaints yet such respected reviewers ... didnt find them?
Old December 4, 2002, 19:22   #10
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:04
Jonah is real and high in the "most times mentioned in the apolyton news" list
http://apolyton.net/news/search.php?...ndOr=or&Find2=
Old December 4, 2002, 19:28   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Yea CV: i was pumping jonah for info before PTW was released
Old December 4, 2002, 19:55   #12
Huzurdaddi
Settler

Quote:
Certainly, the game was and is playable for most.
Was? Is? Are you some visitor from a future time?

Why do attempt to keep the lie alive that 1.14f even worked at all across the internet? It did not.

Why do you even attempt to say that the newest version is playable, the consensus is that it is horribly laggy even when playing with people with pings in the neighborhood of 100 ms.

The truth of the matter is that the game is very laggy, even when playing against one person with an (internet best possible) ping of 70 milliseconds.

As you add people and ping time the problems get worse.
Old December 4, 2002, 19:58   #13
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Anybody with a brain, the US version, and an ounce of sense can get 1.14 working. What's your problem?

/Typos

Last edited by notyoueither; December 4, 2002 at 21:11.
Old December 4, 2002, 20:35   #14
ACooper
Prince

I seem to remember Mr. Falcon in relation to another game. Sierra's Football 99. He quickly has gone on my ignore list. I do know how proud he is of a certain "endowment" as he liked to mention on his web page at the time.
Old December 4, 2002, 20:41   #15
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Heh, alright so hes real and not a troll. I was just annoyed at what looked be another troll post, this time harrasing the SP game. Really just look around Jonah or buy it, SP is working great.
Old December 4, 2002, 21:09   #16
notyoueither
Deity

I think he knows that CV. I think he is commenting that to him, someone who has it and has played it, it works. However to another, who likely has never tried it, it is broken. That seems to be a trend noticeable around here too.
Old December 4, 2002, 21:36   #17
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Bah, after some of these people we've had lately sarcasm is just lost on me I guess. Still say this post has no point though.
Old December 4, 2002, 21:58   #18
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Huzurdaddi
Why do you even attempt to say that the newest version is playable, the consensus is that it is horribly laggy even when playing with people with pings in the neighborhood of 100 ms.

The truth of the matter is that the game is very laggy, even when playing against one person with an (internet best possible) ping of 70 milliseconds.
I've played numerous games with pings higher than this that were not laggy. How are you not getting good performance with 100 ping games?
Old December 5, 2002, 18:46   #19
Huzurdaddi
Settler

Quote:
I've played numerous games with pings higher than this that were not laggy. How are you not getting good performance with 100 ping games?
How are you getting low lag games working at all? With 2 people playing across a 70 ms link the mag is somewhere is the neghborhood of 500 ms.

Perhaps the explination is that your sensitivity to the lag is decreasing? I know that it did for me. When I 1st played the game multiplayer I kept on making mistakes due to the lag and generally getting fustrated.

Then I just slowed down and had to accept it (much like development on a mac, inside joke), it's not as much fun but you just accept it.

When I played with a friend over the internet he was like "wtf! this is horrible" and I was like "what do you mean this is 100% lag free!" Of course he was right when we really looked at it, it was almost 500ms.

I'm will to try it out with you and we can attempt to measure the "laggyness" we can report our findings.

Quote:
Anybody with a brain, the US version, and an ounce of sense can get 1.14 working. What's your problem?
Why do I even both responding to such fanboy scum? I made a typo, my message should have read 1.04f. Which you said worked. It did not. And now the newest version has insane lag, and here you are saying that it does not. Amazing.
Old December 5, 2002, 19:19   #20
ACooper
Prince

1.04f worked - just not very well. 1.14f works well and I have played several games with very good results.

If you are experiencing lags it could very well be your computer or your opponents.

Tune your computer and try again.
Old December 5, 2002, 21:05   #21
WarpStorm
King

Of course there is lag on a 100 ms connection game. About 1/10 of a second delay on actions. I find that on 1.14f though, I'm not waiting due to lag or connectivity issues, just slow opponents.
Old December 5, 2002, 21:41   #22
Huzurdaddi
Settler

Quote:
Of course there is lag on a 100 ms connection game. About 1/10 of a second delay on actions.
My mistake. I thought you wanted to actually test. You just wanted to spout garbage. Kewl.

I said before that the lag is more like 500 ms, but you want to maintain it's 100 ms. Whatever. My god.

I said if you want to measure with me I would be for it. But instead you just want to assert that it works fine an con more people into buying the game. I understand.
Old December 5, 2002, 22:51   #23
notyoueither
Deity

Who in their right mind would want to connect their computer to the machine of a foul mouthed gutter-snipe like you?

Yes, I remember you and your infantile behaviour from the MP lobby. After that I would really like nothing much to do with you, except to point out how idiotic some of the things you say are.

I will say one thing though. 2 computers, 2 broadband connections, 1 house. From 1 computer I get laggless performance. From the other there is noticible lag. The connection matters, and the machine matters.
Old December 5, 2002, 23:07   #24
Huzurdaddi
Settler

Quote:
Yes, I remember you and your infantile behaviour from the MP lobby.
Yes, yes, and I remember you as well the Fraxis sycophant who was saying "all is well, all is well. The problems are with hacked games ... yes, yes." When everyone was trying to get a game going and could not.

Quote:
After that I would really like nothing much to do with you
Boohoo. Did I hurt your poor little feelings by telling people in game what was going on? I'm SO sorry. Please accept my apologies. The last thing I would want to do is to hurt the feelings of someone who was blatantly attempting to deceive people.

Quote:
I will say one thing though. 2 computers, 2 broadband connections, 1 house. From 1 computer I get laggless performance. From the other there is noticible lag. The connection matters, and the machine matters.
Are both computers the same? Is one a PII300 and one a PIV 2.4 GHz? Is one using wireless and one using a direct connection? Is one using a *very* old network card and one a somewhat modern card? I hope that you understand that unless there is something quite different about the two computers then what you are saying is non-sense. These computers are not run by little elves you know. There are reasons why things happen.

And what do you mean that you experience lag? Aren't you the one that constantly asserts that the game is perfect and if someone has a sub-par experience then it is their problem? Hmmm? Come on man stand by your (lame and false) convictions.

Perhaps the problem is that the program is using UDP (I have not checked) and has amazingly bad resend logic. Maybe.
Old December 5, 2002, 23:56   #25
WarpStorm
King

Dad, I wasn't really trying to pick a fight.

Of course a 100ms ping would mean that it would on the average take at least 1/10th of a second just for the connection. Obviously, it will not achieve this in game. Why? Well, for one thing like you allude to in your previous post, there will be lost messages, out of synch messages, and corrupt messages. I remember a period a few weeks ago when my ISP was 'upgrading' and I was getting average packet losses over 50%. Needless to say during this period my PTW MP play was very bad even if I did get a good ping. In addition to the resends, the game actually has some processing to do when it gets a message. Obviously, the more players the more messages that need sent out for every action. Will this equal 500ms? Maybe, in some cases.

Like I said earlier, when I get a decent connection, the biggest waits for me is the time when I have done everything and I'm waiting for the other players to finish their turn.

BTW, I'm not trying to con people into buying PTW. There is no incentive in it for me. I just enjoy playing it.
Old December 6, 2002, 01:37   #26
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:

Yes, yes, and I remember you as well the Fraxis sycophant who was saying "all is well, all is well. The problems are with hacked games ... yes, yes." When everyone was trying to get a game going and could not.

Boohoo. Did I hurt your poor little feelings by telling people in game what was going on? I'm SO sorry. Please accept my apologies. The last thing I would want to do is to hurt the feelings of someone who was blatantly attempting to deceive people.

Are both computers the same? Is one a PII300 and one a PIV 2.4 GHz? Is one using wireless and one using a direct connection? Is one using a *very* old network card and one a somewhat modern card? I hope that you understand that unless there is something quite different about the two computers then what you are saying is non-sense. These computers are not run by little elves you know. There are reasons why things happen.

And what do you mean that you experience lag? Aren't you the one that constantly asserts that the game is perfect and if someone has a sub-par experience then it is their problem? Hmmm? Come on man stand by your (lame and false) convictions.

Perhaps the problem is that the program is using UDP (I have not checked) and has amazingly bad resend logic. Maybe.
First, it was the spamming of the 'channel' with the 'Firaxis sucks' or something to that effect. After seeing that about 500 times while trying to talk with other people, yeah, I want nothing to do with you.

Second, you couldn't hurt my feelings if you tried. Juveniles like you do not have enough finesse to manage it.

Third, I build computers for a living, junior. I think I have an idea of what can cause differences in performance. That was my point. Different computers, different connections... different experience.

Last, I have been telling people what my experiences have been and been helping others get going for a while now. WTH are you doing? Exercising some sort of mental pathology?

Last edited by notyoueither; December 6, 2002 at 01:51.
Old December 6, 2002, 12:42   #27
Jachyra
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

First, it was the spamming of the 'channel' with the 'Firaxis sucks' or something to that effect. After seeing that about 500 times while trying to talk with other people, yeah, I want nothing to do with you.

Second, you couldn't hurt my feelings if you tried. Juveniles like you do not have enough finesse to manage it.

Third, I build computers for a living, junior. I think I have an idea of what can cause differences in performance. That was my point. Different computers, different connections... different experience.

Last, I have been telling people what my experiences have been and been helping others get going for a while now. WTH are you doing? Exercising some sort of mental pathology?
I hate to get between two people arguing like this, but I have to say this on "notyoueither"'s behalf... BURN! Very good burn ! (see "That 70's show" for details on that quote).
Old December 6, 2002, 13:32   #28
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 08:04
I remember this guy.

And then I laughed as he actually did repeat saying "FIRAXIS SUCKS!!!" numerous (20+) times in the channel. How mature.

And alas, I have yet to get a game to work at all.
Old December 6, 2002, 14:54   #29
Huzurdaddi
Settler

Quote:
Actually I was spamming THE channel (that's funny one channel) with a message something like "mutliplayer currently does not work. If you bought the game for multiplayer return it."

I spammed it in response to a number of disingenuous fraxis apologists on THE channel (lol) that continued to assert that the problems were not with the game but with the people attempting to play. Which was plainly false. It got me pretty annoyed.

Quote:
Third, I build computers for a living, junior. I think I have an idea of what can cause differences in performance.
Look, friend I really don't think that a person who assembles computers for a living is intellectually qualified, nor experienced in the matters of what causes performance differentials in networked games to make any assertion as to what is going on. So why don't you take a back seat and go do some more assembling or whatever it is you do.
Old December 6, 2002, 20:34   #30
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Look, friend I really don't think that a person who assembles computers for a living is intellectually qualified, nor experienced in the matters of what causes performance differentials in networked games to make any assertion as to what is going on. So why don't you take a back seat and go do some more assembling or whatever it is you do.
Now, that just may be the dumbest comment all year.