Old December 5, 2002, 05:44   #1
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Area 25: What to Research Next?
We're at another scientific crossroad. We can begin research on either:
  • The corporation (7 turns) - gives nothing but opens the way to steel and more important, refining (which gives us oil).
  • Electricity (10 turns) - allows our workers to irrigate without fresh water, but more important opens the way to Scientific Method, which allows the construction of the great wonder Theory of Evolution.
  • Espionage (6 turns) - allows the construction of the Intelligence Agency, but is a dead-end tech.

What should we choose? Do we want to use and trade oil, research towards Theory of Evolution or choose Espionage, which is a tech that we can almost certainly get first (the chances that one of the other tech leaders will research it are minimal) and then techwhore it for another tech and gold?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 5, 2002, 08:15   #2
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:07
All things considered, I think that Theory of Evolution is a very useful Wonder. Give us two free techs, if I'm not wrong, and this worth each shield invested...
I support Eletricity.
Old December 5, 2002, 09:56   #3
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Local Time: 08:07
Definitely Electricity.
Old December 5, 2002, 10:09   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 06:07
beeline to ToE!!!

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old December 5, 2002, 11:44   #5
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 07:07
At least 1 AI is porbably well on the way to discovering Electricity already.

In addition, we will need some more cash for rushing pre-builds of the Iron Works.

So I'd vote for Espionage. This is a low prirotiy for the AI discovering, so even if it takes more than 6 turns, we'll still get it first and can sell it to raise the cash needed for Electrictiy.
Old December 5, 2002, 11:51   #6
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:07
True.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 5, 2002, 12:58   #7
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

After the Chat was Officially over, we had a Cabinate meeting. After the events of the chat, the President decided, pending full approval from the Senate, that we would:

1) Work at getting Electricity. It was discussed that Germany might again get it again at the same time. So what we figured, We are starting to work on selling the techs to others, we will get a fairly good sum from England and some Ivory from Greece. Also, It would be the LAST tech that Germany will be tying with us ever again, because we will have started to dismantel their Nation by the time the tech after next comes around.

2) That we will go at 80% to get the tech in 6 turns. This will put us breifly at a negative income again, but with the impending Tech sale with England, we will be very close to Zero. In the last gameplay, we were able to tweek the slider back down, not just once, but twice, so quickly after just one turn and having a fairly decent Income afterwards that we will do the same this upcoming gameplay.

3) We have a strong suspician that Germany is running at 100% science and running on just income from the other nations. With our impending tech sale to Greece and England, that takes some future money potenial away from Germany. If we are successful, and are able to get most, if not all of the other Big 4 Nations to be at war with germany, this will completely criple his economy and allow us to make the next set of tech sales to them at a later date.

4) If Germany Is running at 100% and tieing us while we can start at 80% and tweek ours down to 60%, this lets us know that we are succeeding in the Science Research arena. With a few more Universities and Libraries that are soon to be completed, we should be able to compete with anyone for the tech very soon. We are now able to keep pace, we can work on jumping ahead if we go for Theory of Evolution shortly afterwards (requires researching Sci Method after Electricity).

E_T
Old December 5, 2002, 19:09   #8
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Electricity.
Old December 5, 2002, 19:32   #9
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 06:07
Electricity, you gotta love that Tech.
Old December 6, 2002, 02:10   #10
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Electricity
Old December 6, 2002, 08:24   #11
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

And what to research after Electricity?

I say, go for Electronics ASAP, then Replaceable Parts.

E_T
Old December 6, 2002, 10:01   #12
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:07
Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
And what to research after Electricity?

I say, go for Electronics ASAP, then Replaceable Parts.

E_T
Agreed. We'll have Hoover Dam (well, possibly), infantry and will double worker's velocity.
Old December 7, 2002, 19:30   #13
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:07
Electricty. The war against the Huns must be fought on the economic front, too. If waiting one prebuilding the IW gets us Electricity one turn sooner, let's do it, to screw Germany out of techwhoring it. Those Panzers, and the possible loss of Hoover are still our biggest threat.
Old December 8, 2002, 02:23   #14
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

What I'd do in order...

electricity, Hoover, Sci method (ToE, Replaceable Parts (maybe with ToE), Corporation (ToE)
Old December 8, 2002, 02:31   #15
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

It is obvious we should go for Electricity now.

Not sure what to do after that though.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old December 8, 2002, 03:17   #16
E_T
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
What I'd do in order...

electricity, Hoover, Sci method (ToE, Replaceable Parts (maybe with ToE), Corporation (ToE)
You have a few things out of order here.

Electricity leads to Scientific Method (which allows building of ToE) and/or Replaceable Parts (Infantry, Artillary & faster workers).

Scientific Method leads to Atomic Theory, which then leads to Electronics (which allows you to build Hoover).

So, The Forbidden City will be building US after a Factory, total time to complete both - 19-20 turns. After, It will either work towards getting ready to build Hoover, or start the builds to have a size increase, then Hoover.

We should get Electricity in 6 turns. If we go for Sci Meth afterwards, it will take Approx 5-8 turns. During this timeframe, it will be two turns to finish the Cavalry in Ghengistown. Then, it should take about 10 turns (hopefully less) to build the Factory. If the Factory Is done before we get Sci Meth, It will work on the Palace as a Sheild storer and then switch to ToE. It will take about 15 turns to get ToE. So, total time to get ToE will be about 27 turns.

We should Beeline straight for Electronics, to get both of those Wonders started. But, because the wonder races have started, we need to try to keep the other civs from getting the required techs for as long as we can. At least, until we have completed US.

After that, we can get Replaceable parts, we'll have the factory base to build Infantry quickly.

E_T
Old December 8, 2002, 10:01   #17
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Electricity! There is no immediate reason to research the corporation and we can get Espionage from Theory of Evolution.

Sell your photos
Old December 8, 2002, 18:07   #18
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheik
Electricity! There is no immediate reason to research the corporation and we can get Espionage from Theory of Evolution.
I think a Hoover rush with ToE (getting Atomic Theory and then Electronics) would be better than espionage + some other tech.
Old December 9, 2002, 17:41   #19
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Forget espionage.... It is a cheapie, dead end and not required for age advancment.

Getting Scientific Method is good then we can get ToE.

We should then go for Replacable parts (and guard it jealously)

Then get atomic theory and electronics.

If all goes well, we can begin building hoovers dam in 15-20 turns.

We will have double speed workers, artiliary and infantry.

With any luck, we will be able to get The Corporation and Refining from ToE. If not, at least electronics and the Corporation.

Atomic theroy shoulld follow scientific method.

I typically go

Steam Power>Medicine>
Electricity>Replacable parts>SciMethod>Atomic Theory>Electronics

If I avoid espiponage, I can get all the way to refining or refining+ steel (with ToE) by the time Hoovers is long underway.

Get Espionage by trade. maybe even corporation as well.

Using this method, I typically leave the AI well in the dust techwise.

Mss
Old December 9, 2002, 18:01   #20
E_T
Emperor

Some of the other Civ's already have Corporation, so we should be able to trade Electricity (if we get it first) for Corporation.

I don't mind going for Replaceable parts after getting Sci Method, only if we are certain of getting the required techs (and the AI isn't) for Hoovers after both of the US & ToE wonders are built. If the AI gets electronics before ToE is built, they can switch to it and get it before us.

This will be a delicate time for the Wonders and the Techs that they require, to Insure that we get all of the Wonders. It's no good if we get US & ToE. and loose Hoover.

With PW & WF changes in The Forbidden City, We will have US in 14 turns (baring any pollution that might occure). I might be able to shave off one additional turn with the cutting of the one Forest Tile that is at that City.

The Factory in Ghengistown will be built in 3 turns. With all things being currently equil (i.e. pop & PW), we should get ToE in 15 turns afterwards. So Approx 18 turns from now (hopefully less) that the AI might get teh required techs for Hoover.

We might want to explore hording the next several techs from the AI, to help Insure this.

E_T
Old December 9, 2002, 18:42   #21
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I think we should stop duplicating the AIs reserach plan, reaching it 1/2 a turn after they do (too late to sell) and reserach thing they are slower to get so we can tech-whore again.

The AI already has the Coopration, so we shouldn't reserach that.

We also don't want the AI to get Replaceable Parts and can't keep a tech monopoloy up long enough, so that's out as well, given that any tech reserached lowers the price for others to reserach it.

This leaves 2 choices: Espiosage and Scientfic Method.

If we luck out and get Electrecy first, then go for the Scientific Method otherwise pick Espoisage which the AI is very slow getting around to.

(Esiposiage has a lot of use for an optional tech

1. Potiential storage for shields (even in the capital)

2. Once actually built, attempting to plant spies in countries that we want to declare war on us.

3. Taking spy actions that will probably be caught in order to induce them to declare war on us.

4. Investigaing cities while at war.
Old December 9, 2002, 19:42   #22
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

We should dry up on the tech trading untill we are completely finished with hoovers.

We might trade electricity for corporation only if we are 4-5 turns from ToE

Trade Atomic tTeroy only if we are 3-4 turns from Hoovers.

Following that plan, we can have Refining, Steel and Electronics to trade AFTER hovers is built.

The AI will be hard pressed to catch up.

Space the tech sales out so that we sell techs only when the AI can afford an exhorberant price.

Mss
Old December 10, 2002, 11:41   #23
joncnunn
Emperor

Actually, the AI is currently having an easy time keeping up with the techs, they are in fact slightly beating us.

If we actually get Electrecy first, we need to sell it for Corporation + cash that same turn, otherwise it will proably be common knowledge the following turn.
Old December 10, 2002, 18:37   #24
ManicStarSeed
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Actually, the AI is currently having an easy time keeping up with the techs, they are in fact slightly beating us.

If we actually get Electrecy first, we need to sell it for Corporation + cash that same turn, otherwise it will proably be common knowledge the following turn.
All the more reason to wipe germany out.

Mss
Old December 11, 2002, 16:25   #25
joncnunn
Emperor

I agree.

Quote:
Originally posted by ManicStarSeed

All the more reason to wipe germany out.

Mss
Old December 11, 2002, 16:42   #26
joncnunn
Emperor

As to what to reserach starting next turn when we have Electricity:

Theory of Evolution. Regardless of weather we are the first to Electricity. Hopefully we can keep enough reserach on to keep this at 6 turns or less even with the war effort. (Note that if we are beat out to Electricity by 1/2 turn again, there's a significant chance of being beat out to this by the same 1/2 turn margin. Forunteately, the AI often picks cities that don't have a Factory for wonder building.

Atomic Theory. Hopefully ,we can keep enough reserach to keep this under 12 turns even with the war effort. We are less likely to be competing with the AI on this unless the AIs have efficently split up research of the top portion of the tree and thus is on Combustion.

The next tech to research after Atomic Theory should be Electronics for the Hoovers Dam. (I'm hoping for an under 12 turns for this tech as well.)

The next tech to research after that is up in the air at this point. (Depends upon how close Theory of Evolution is too completion, and what additional techs the AI has discovered while we're beeling to Electronics.)

The key city imporvement that needs built the most to boost science is Hospitals in size 10 1/2 + cities.
(10 1/2 = size 10 city with the food basket 1/2 full.) By starting the Hospitals that early we can ensure their completion before the city stops abruptly at 12.99 (size 12 + full basket.) This will also boost taxes, and the completion of the 5th will allow us to build Battlefield Medicine, which in turns allows healing in enemy territory.

Last edited by joncnunn; December 11, 2002 at 18:44.