Old December 5, 2002, 14:02   #1
ArmaGeddin
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Huge number of Barbarians.
So I create this map with the editor and give myself a continent all to myself. I put all the A/I civs on another huge continent just to see what happens. I expand almost all the way up to the middle ages and then it happens......

A huge influx of barbarians is spoted near HommieTown.

So I don't worry to much about it and continue expanding when all of the sudden I get multiple groups of 4 horsemen ALL OVER THE CONTINENT!?!? I'm talking waves of 8 to 10 groups of 4 each horsemen, and they are comming so fast I can't generate enough Spearmen in my cities to keep up with them.

I fought these guys for over two hours last night with no decrease in the number of horsemen yet. They don't take cities, but they have cleaned out my bank account and killed a number of settlers and workers and stopped my expansion. This has given the A/I a chance to expand on to my continent and I can't do a thing about it.

I'm starting to wonder if they will ever quit.
Old December 5, 2002, 14:07   #2
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 07:08
Barbarians on any level are just annoyances. Depending on your style, you can solve the Barbarian problem a number a ways.

1: Go on the attack. Send out swordsmen and Housemen and expand expand expand.

2: Play defense (my way), hunker down. This is somtimes refered to as the "Turtle" strag. in a number of other TBS/RTS games.
Old December 5, 2002, 15:10   #3
Redstar
Warlord

Local Time: 12:08
you forgot the one where you can turn OFF the barbarian option.

The most i have seen at one time (using the medium restless option) is 4 groups of 12 (horsemen) --going for 2 diff. locations.

If you have pikeman..2 in a city will usually kill off a stack of 12. If not, you can just let them run amok on the city and save your forces --make trades if you see them coming so they can't bankrupt ya.

After, you generally know the area they were spawned from so you go out and wack their village or 2.

But to be plagued for so long by barbarians ...
well, it sounds like you must be the leader of the roman empire. They love the romans afterall.
Old December 5, 2002, 15:44   #4
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 09:08
I think hordes of barbarians come when the second civ reach the middle age.

As you have a entire continent only for you, its suposed all the hordes that appered in the continent have only you as a target.

Maybe they are coming in waves because they appear in distant lands and have a long path to go until reach your civ.

Have at least one civ on the same continent is not so bad at all... They grow with you, serve as target to the barbarians hordes and you can take its cities later, without worry about produce lot of settlers.
Old December 5, 2002, 16:21   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 05:08
Ah barbarians, great fun! Nothing like barbarian uprisings to throw a wrench in the works. Lost major production on a Wonder once from that. Had to start over from scratch.

Is this a PTW game? If so, it is valuable to spend some of your workers on Outposts at key locations.

Regardless, unless you are playing on Diety level you are surely enjoying substantial combat advantages* to counterbalance their numerical superiority.

*Editor: Difficulty Levels tab: Attack Bonus Against Barbarians -- change it to ZERO to make for a "fair" fight at the level(s) you play at.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 5, 2002, 19:41   #6
solodar
Settler

Local Time: 07:08
Re: Huge number of Barbarians.
Quote:
Originally posted by ArmaGeddin

A huge influx of barbarians is spoted near HommieTown.
Sounds like a barbarian uprising ... as I understand it, whenever the second civ reaches a new age, all the barbarian camps produce massive amounts of units (always horsemen?)

So, if you have your continent to yourself and lots of barbarian camps sitting around, then they will all come to you.

Ways to deal with it:

- avoid having lots of barb camps sitting around (run them down, position your units so there isn't lots of unseen space to generate new ones)
- pay attention to when the trigger is going to hit, so you can be prepared
- work the editor ....

Word is that in PTW, barbarian uprisings are nastier than in vanilla Civ 3 ... more pillaging, more bypassing strong targets to go after weaks ones (I'm waiting for more patching before buying it myself)

Quote:
Originally posted by zeh

I think hordes of barbarians come when the second civ reach the middle age.
Actually, I think it's any age, but everything is so built up later that there aren't any camps left and we only see it in the middle age.

solodar