Old December 5, 2002, 14:13   #1
woody
Warlord

Local Time: 12:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Dealing with global warming effects
I haven't seen this mentioned before, so I'll post what I do...

I hate the fact that global warming eventually turns all your nice land into deserts. You can turn this off in the editor, but I still want some global warming impact. I just don't want to see mostly deserts; it's boring.

So, I added one more type of terraforming ability for global warming. I made it so that deserts can "deterraform" into junges. The jungles are still rather useless until your settlers convert them to grassland (or they're hit by GW), but that takes awhile. So, global warming doesn't directly benefit me, but it does allow me to irrigate the jungle back to grassland, and allow the global warming cycle to continue.

However, now I get more interesting and varied landscapes, and I don't end up with mostly desert.
Old December 5, 2002, 14:40   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:08
Just give us back the means to terraform all tiles to grasslands, like civ2. Now the warming can be offset.
Old December 5, 2002, 15:46   #3
woody
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Just give us back the means to terraform all tiles to grasslands, like civ2. Now the warming can be offset.
Well, yes, as long as the AI can terraform. In Civ2, the AI never did, so once you got engineers you could double your land value over the AI.

Even in Civ3, I don't think the AI railroads fast enough. Terraforming takes so long (and it has to for play-balance), that the AI would probably lose their workers before they finished.
Old December 5, 2002, 16:27   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 05:08
Turns all your nice land into deserts?
Who's been throwing nucs around in your neighborhood? Such desertification doesn't happen to me, otherwise. A few here and there, of course, but quite manageable.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 6, 2002, 12:56   #5
woody
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Turns all your nice land into deserts?
Who's been throwing nucs around in your neighborhood? Such desertification doesn't happen to me, otherwise. A few here and there, of course, but quite manageable.
Well, I've also modded the game to slow it down. It's much longer between techs, so games last into the 2200's or 2300's. There's more cumulative effects of global warming.
Old December 8, 2002, 19:27   #6
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 13:08
King of the deserts
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom