Old January 20, 2001, 06:30   #1
bubbaB4U
Settler

Local Time: 22:51
Local Date: October 30, 2010
New to Civ II
Hi everyone. I travel extensively and was looking for a game to keep me busy while flying and when stuck in my hotel room. Someone told me that CIV II works on Windows NT, so I bought it.

I've never played this game before. I've tried to get into it, but so far, to me it seems to lack the excitment of real time stratagy games like command and conquer.

There were no instructions with the game. I bought it for 10 bucks at Walmart, and so decided to look for a website that might help me out. I was shocked to see the extent to which this game facinates people.

Can anyone give me just some basic instructions? Is the game intuitive, or are there a lot of things to remember (in other words, do I need to get a manual?)

Is it similar in any way to command and conquor? I will be playing by myself. Is the AI good? If anyone has played both, and can tell me why they like CIV II better, I would appreciate knowing.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by bubbaB4U (edited January 20, 2001).]
Old January 20, 2001, 06:54   #2
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 17:51
Civ2 is a good game and the fact that the game contains a module for scenario production has extended its longevity. It is fairly simple. You get a unit at the strart; a settler. He can make cities and other settlers, who can then make more cities. If you click on the cities, a new screen comes up and details what that city is doing. There should be a "civilopedia" in the program--take a look at that. Access the in-game "advisors," who can tell you succinctly about units, technology, diplomacy. Conquer the world or launch a space ship to win. The AI, (Automated Intelligence) is dogged, but single-minded. There are many scenarios on scenario sites all over the web and there are still lots of people who play multi-player online games. Apolyton is THE site for Civ2, primarily because it acts as a nexus for all the various other sites and also because it contains a vibrant off-topic community.

Salutations,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
"a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
"or a very good liar." --Stefu
[This message has been edited by Exile (edited January 20, 2001).]
Old January 20, 2001, 07:16   #3
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 23:51
quote:

Originally posted by Exile on 01-20-2001 05:54 AM
The AI, (Automated Intelligence)

Actually AI means Arificial Inteligence
[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited January 20, 2001).]
Old January 20, 2001, 08:07   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Hi BubbaB4U!

There is a tutorial in the game which is a handy means of grasping the basics.

From the initial menu - Load Game - then look for the tutorial file and open.

-------------

SG (2)
Old January 20, 2001, 10:01   #5
Builder

Yes, the tutorial game can really help.

Warning: Civ is a very addictive game. We take no responsibility on what may happen to you because of too many playing hours.
Old January 20, 2001, 10:09   #6
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 23:51
Hy Bubba... a warning about scens. Scenario creators have to modify game parameters ( stored in *.txt files ), and sometimes scens and games can crash when you're playing... so don't think the whole game is going to Pallino town, it's just an internal code problem.
Old January 20, 2001, 11:29   #7
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Henrik, we both know how the AI performs. It has the strategic capabilities of a turnip. I think we should call it Antiquated.

Yes, you're right. It's artificial,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
"a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
"or a very good liar." --Stefu
Old January 20, 2001, 12:23   #8
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

quote:

Can anyone give me just some basic instructions? Is the game intuitive, or are there a lot of things to remember (in other words, do I need to get a manual?)

No, the manual located in the box is good enough. I would say it's very easy to get in to, but even playing for five years isn't enough to master it.
quote:

Is it similar in any way to command and conquor? I will be playing by myself. Is the AI good? If anyone has played both, and can tell me why they like CIV II better, I would appreciate knowing.

Well, it's turn based, meaning it isn't as frantic. The AI, while not a genius, isn't really that stupid either. I have fun playing 6 hour games with the AI and I really get sucked into them. The AI is NOT BAD, although some veterans disagree. I like Civ2 better because it makes command and conquer seem very very bad. When you'd be landing a Tanya in c&c to bomb a few houses, in civ2 you're switching to democracy, bad-mouthing the Zulus, and forming alliances with France. No question, civ2 is DEEP.

Anyway, go get it bubba. At first it seems boring, but (especially if you like chess, etc) you'll get hooked in no time.

Have fun!
[This message has been edited by SMACed (edited January 20, 2001).]
Old January 20, 2001, 20:24   #9
bubbaB4U
Settler

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along. I've been reading some of the comments about deployment of different forces. I noticed that some recommend stacking. How is that done?
Old January 20, 2001, 20:39   #10
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stacking is just the act of putting two or more of your units in the same square.

It is very useful to stack a diplomat or spy with another unit because this way the AI cannot expel the diplomat or spy. AI can expel your diplo with one of there military units when he is closer to their cities than to yours.

Of course, if you are at war with that civ (country) they can attack and destroy your units. NOte that if the enemy attacks and destroys a unit, all other units that are stacked with it are destroyed too. Only exception to this is if the stacked units are inside a city or in a fortress (that you can built withj a settler when you discover masonry).

Old January 20, 2001, 20:41   #11
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Yup, it IS a complicated game

At least that what it seemed like when I started playing it. The thing with Civilization is the more you learn about it the more you enjoy it HAve fun
Old January 20, 2001, 21:17   #12
popcornvendor
Chieftain

uh, if im not mistaken, u have to have construction to build a fortress, not masonry

------------------
Enjoy the war while you can, the peace will be terrible
Old January 20, 2001, 22:06   #13
Bereta_Eder
Settler

(I was thinking of city walls)
Construction of course...
Old January 21, 2001, 07:05   #14
Mr Bunny
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:51
Hey folks, i've just bought Civ2 MP and wondering where to go to get in a multiplayer game. How long do the games take? I'm thinking, like , days?
And to that bubba guy: dude, you've GOT to get your hands on a manual, and also that nifty little poster thing, or you will go nuts trying to figure this game out. Am I not right? It is indeed deep. Any tips on multiplayering are welcome.
Old January 21, 2001, 17:04   #15
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Sorry bubba, bunny's right - I didn't read your post well enough to know you didn't get a manual with the game - you NEED one !

And MB, I don't have MPGE, but I'm sure everyone else on the forums does...
Old January 21, 2001, 17:12   #16
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 16:51
The game is pretty simple. Maybe a manual is needed if you don't get it in at least the first ten games. The basics are easy, mastery is difficult. And good luck. BTW, you might want to get prescription sleep pills, since you'll be thinking about your games night after night.

------------------
If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

She turned me into a newt...well I got better- Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
Old January 21, 2001, 18:16   #17
Bereta_Eder
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by jcarkey on 01-21-2001 04:12 PM
you might want to get prescription sleep pills, since you'll be thinking about your games night after night.

Forget sleeping at least in the early days

Old January 21, 2001, 19:08   #18
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

quote:

The game is pretty simple. Maybe a manual is needed if you don't get it in at least the first ten games.

Yeah, that's probably better. But I'd buy one anyway, it rounds out your understanding of the game.
Old January 22, 2001, 14:24   #19
kcbob
King

I agree with Sieve Too. The game is so complex that once you've mastered the basics, there are strategies to consider. ICS, OCC, perfection, succession, MP... and once you think you decide which aspect you like, you always seem to switch to another for grins and get submerged in it. What a game!

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old January 22, 2001, 19:31   #20
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

...and if you like it, you can always get AC !
Old January 22, 2001, 19:36   #21
jcarkey
Warlord

What I meant to say was the game basics are pretty simple. I think the Surgeon General should have a warning on Civ2's box. "Warning: Excessive use of the contents of this box are harmful. The contents can form a dependance, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and the lack of a normal life. Beware, have caution using this product. Do not try to sue the manufacturers/ publishers of this program. Caution is advised."

------------------
If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

She turned me into a newt...well I got better- Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
Old January 22, 2001, 20:35   #22
bubbaB4U
Settler

Well, the concensus seems to be that I should get a manual. Is there one availble on line, or at this site somewhere? (sorry, I'm not being lazy, it's just that I'm at work right now and can't spend the time to browse that I would like. But I can check this book mark occasionally)

Thanks again for everyones input

Bubba
Old January 22, 2001, 20:52   #23
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

There are a lot of good strategy guides, sadly I don't really own one. Prima probably made a good book, though...

Can anyone think of a good strat guide that beats out the manual ?
Old January 23, 2001, 01:05   #24
Sieve Too
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by jcarkey on 01-21-2001 04:12 PM
The game is pretty simple. Maybe a manual is needed if you don't get it in at least the first ten games. The basics are easy, mastery is difficult.

Actually, I'd say that the game is not at all simple. There are so many concepts to learn: cities, unit, trade, gold, shields, food, happiness, reputation, governments, alliances, improvements, wonders, science, taxes, luxuries, WLT_D, hitpoints, firepower, terrain, movement, attack/defense, caravans, roads/rail, diplomats, tech tree, corruption, bribery, etc. Quite a lot there for a new player and much of it is interrelated. I can't imagine a beginner not having the manual and still understanding what's going on.
Old January 23, 2001, 18:58   #25
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

I'm sure you people bought some strat guide?
Old January 23, 2001, 21:27   #26
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Scouse- There's a tutorial! I never knew this and I have had CivII since 1996!!!!

About strategy guides- you do not really need one if you play on the easiest difficulty level... If you want to play on harder levels, just ask the question on Apolyton and we will be glad to help you get started on your conquest of the world.

... Oh, and while you are at it, buy Alpha Centauri (Think CIV in space)

W*E*L*C*O*M*E

------------------
Apolyton- The Book (Webpage and Topic Thread)
http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum23/HTML/018747

Visit the Civgaming Network Forums:
http://www.civgaming.net

Visit Apolyton- The Book (The Website for the people of Apolyton)
http://home.att.net/~sjcfg/main.html
Old January 23, 2001, 23:12   #27
The Mad Monk
Emperor

If the game didn't come with a manual, check the CD to see if it wasn't included there, possibly in a directory labeled, 'documentation'. Most games that wind up in the $10 rack include the manual as a .pdf on the CD.

Hope this helps!

------------------
The Mad Monk

"The capacity of a grass leaf to grow from the sheath
at its base is a useful adaptation to herbivore grazing.
It has also resulted, over the eons, in the piteous
spectacle of thousands of hominids vibrating behind
their lawnmowers from spring to fall."

-Someone's AP Biology Textbook