Old December 5, 2002, 19:48   #1
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
American Sports Discussion (ie, Apolyton US Sports Bar)
I figured it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to discussing sports in the US. A lot of stuff gets undiscussed because there isn't enough for just a thread.

Anyway, I was watching Around the Horn and PTI on ESPN, and the NFL is discussing changing it's overtime format. One suggestion is the college football overtime (give it to each team at the 30 allowing them a chance to score). Another one was advanced by Tony Kornheiser of PTI. Give each team at least one possession and then (if tied) make it sudden death after that.

I prefer the second suggestion. Each team should at least have one possession. Games shouldn't be decided by a coin flip.

Second on the agenda. It is being reported that Glavine is close to signing with the Mets. Will the addition of Glavine (which itself is wierd, seeing the Braves-Mets animosity) be enough to right the Mets ship?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 5, 2002, 19:55   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Actually Glavine JUST signed with the Mets.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1204/1471165.html

What does this mean for the NL East?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 5, 2002, 20:23   #3
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 07:09
I agree with you the 2nd option being better.

Basketball related, how about those Dallas Mavericks?
Old December 5, 2002, 20:25   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff

They seem to be good early on. Can it last?

Going with baseball (again ), what do the Rangers plan on doing to get out of the celler? Or are you an Astros fan?
Old December 5, 2002, 20:31   #5
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

I'm a Ranger fan, and I have no idea what they're doing.
I'm up to speed with management though.
Let's see, Pudge is about to go. They'll probably run Palmeiro off for the 2nd time. Trade whatever excellent young pitching prospects they have. Bring back the guys they traded previously, and are now my age.
Let's see, what else are they in the habit of doing....
Old December 5, 2002, 20:34   #6
jdd2007
NationStates
King

In Cincinnati, there are rumors that Griffey might be traded to Sand Diego. What do you think about this? Its too bad that he loves our crappy city so much, but he plays so badly for the Reds. He needs to be traded, for the good of the team.
Old December 5, 2002, 20:36   #7
Tuberski

Re: American Sports Discussion (ie, Apolyton US Sports Bar)
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
I figured it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to discussing sports in the US. A lot of stuff gets undiscussed because there isn't enough for just a thread.

Anyway, I was watching Around the Horn and PTI on ESPN, and the NFL is discussing changing it's overtime format. One suggestion is the college football overtime (give it to each team at the 30 allowing them a chance to score). Another one was advanced by Tony Kornheiser of PTI. Give each team at least one possession and then (if tied) make it sudden death after that.

I prefer the second suggestion. Each team should at least have one possession. Games shouldn't be decided by a coin flip.

Second on the agenda. It is being reported that Glavine is close to signing with the Mets. Will the addition of Glavine (which itself is wierd, seeing the Braves-Mets animosity) be enough to right the Mets ship?
1. College overtime.

2. Glavine will have his worst season ever.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old December 5, 2002, 20:37   #8
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
In Cincinnati, there are rumors that Griffey might be traded to Sand Diego. What do you think about this? Its too bad that he loves our crappy city so much, but he plays so badly for the Reds. He needs to be traded, for the good of the team.
If he doesn't have a no-trade clause, I'd be suprised.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old December 5, 2002, 20:56   #9
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I've heard that the Reds "don't do" no-trade clauses.

Apparently Nevin nixed the deal for personal reasons.

Poor Grif, I had a poster of him on my wall as a kid. Granted, he does bring a lot of it on himself with his media relations...just needs to stay healthy.
Old December 5, 2002, 21:05   #10
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I like the college overtime, but think they should start at the 40--i.e., outside of field goal range.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 5, 2002, 21:09   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
I like the college overtime, but think they should start at the 40--i.e., outside of field goal range.
I agree, the 40 would help things out.

I wasn't at the Ole Miss-Arkansas game that went the 7 ots last year, but my fiance was (she was the baton twirler in the OM band) and evidently it was excrutiating for all involved, from the fans to the players. Whereas I watched comfortably from my sofa.

Increasing the length would make things more interesting and hopefully prevent such long games, the 7 ot or the 6 ot Tenn-Ark game from this year.

Plus, its more strategic, have to get that 1st 1st down for fieldgoal range. More fun, I would say.
Old December 5, 2002, 21:15   #12
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I guess what they're trying to avoid w/the 20 yard line is people always going for the field goal.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 5, 2002, 21:19   #13
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
If it was the 40... lets say Detroit and Chicago finish at a tie after 4 quarters. The overtime period could last several hours

That sort of thing is avoided with the 25 yd line start. Makes for a shorter OT, perhaps? Then again, a 42 yd FG is less of a gimme in college than it is in the pros.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old December 6, 2002, 03:26   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:09
college overtime sucks.

I really don't want to change it, but because there are problems this year I say that each team should have their offense (or special teams-returning) touch the ball once. So if someone scores that other team can get a chance to score with either a kickoff return or with their offense. But only once. After each teams offense/return team touches the ball regular sudden death rules apply.
Old December 6, 2002, 03:29   #15
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
In Cincinnati, there are rumors that Griffey might be traded to Sand Diego.
Yeah, the rumored deal was for Nevin, which would be a steal for the Reds and a 'what are you thinking' for the Padres.

--

The college overtime is good, but there is a (valid) arguement that it isn't 'real' football. A better system is having the team march down the field. And then give the other team a chance to do the same.

Quote:
2. Glavine will have his worst season ever.
Any reason for that assertion?
Old December 6, 2002, 03:37   #16
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
college overtime sucks.
I agree... if they started on their own 40... then it might be interesting.
Old December 6, 2002, 03:39   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I don't pay attention to college much. I'm assuming they don't kick off.

Special teams are an important part of the game. You can't take that out.

If the kick return team scores that should count as the offense scoring. Basically I'm agreeing with #2 in the original post. Each team should have ONE chance to score with either their offense or kick return team.
Old December 6, 2002, 03:41   #18
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

The coin flip in the pros is almost an automatic winner... unless the Lions coach is making the decision

Let both team try from at least the 50, but their own 40 sounds like more fun... then do an overtime if needed.
Old December 6, 2002, 03:41   #19
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Here's a question for y'all. ESPN had a thing where the college football guys on Sportscenter discussed whether USC would give Miami a better game than OSU (USC being the hottest team in the country according to the 'experts').

Here is the question:

USC plays OSU next weekend (hypothetically, of course). The spread is 'pick em'. Who do you bet on (you have to bet )?

I bet on USC. Two words: Carson Palmer.
Old December 6, 2002, 03:55   #20
Ming
lifer
Retired

I bet on Ohio's Defense... but I think Iowa is still the best team in the Big Ten right now. OSU can't come back if they get down early... their defense really is what keeps them in the game. Their offense is only good enough to win close games...
Old December 6, 2002, 03:58   #21
Imran Siddiqui
staff

They are like the Buccanears of College Football .
Old December 6, 2002, 03:58   #22
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

the big ten needs a championship game. Too bad Iowa and OSU didn't play each other.
Old December 6, 2002, 04:01   #23
Ming
lifer
Retired

A rare event... it's just strange that it happened this year. If we could suck more team into the Big 10 (11), then we could do what the Big 12 does, and have two divisions and a true championship... The are still going after Pitt and ND. But ND would be stupid to give up their freedom in football.
Old December 6, 2002, 04:06   #24
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Pitt will probably stay in the Big East. The 11 teams is going to screw the Big 10 totally in situations like this.
Old December 6, 2002, 04:16   #25
Ming
lifer
Retired

Pitt has shown some interest ever since Penn St. joined.

They can get killed in either conference, and the Big 10 could provide them with more money in the long run.
Old December 6, 2002, 04:19   #26
Imran Siddiqui
staff

They are doing pretty well in the Big East right now.

The longer Pitt stays in the Big East the more likely they are to stay.
Old December 6, 2002, 04:40   #27
Ming
lifer
Retired

Hard to say... for Football, they would gain. And Basketball is shifting back to the Big 10 vs the Big East.

It could happen. Money is the big issue, and they would do far better in the Big 10.
Old December 6, 2002, 04:42   #28
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

So what do you all think about L.A. getting a pro football team? Will it happen?

I just read espn.com that the Supreme court in Arizona approved construction of a stadium in Arizona. I was thinking they might move to L.A. They probalby should move to LA. . They suck. They are my closest home team, and I rooted for them when they beat Dallas several years ago in the playoffs. But the ownership is terrible. Even if they did move to LA they would still suck.

Could the Colts move? Possibly.

I kind of think it would be cool to get a team to LA. Maybe the locals there will have learned their lessong. But LA is kind of a pansy city . I'm not sure manly sports can succeed there. . I just want a team to root for.

For now I root for the Chargers in the AFC and the Bucs in the NFC.
Old December 6, 2002, 04:44   #29
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yeah, but it ain't as easy to switch conferences as we've been saying. There is a lot of planning involved and everything (especially because schedules are done so far in advance).

And who wants to play teams in Chicago anyway .
Old December 6, 2002, 04:47   #30
Ming
lifer
Retired

LA doesn't seem able to support a team. Weird as it may sound. But somebody will probably move there with the promise of sweat heart deal... I don't think it will be Arizona....