Old December 17, 2002, 12:18   #301
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 08:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Great week of football and after realizing that Baltimore is 7-7 and COULD STILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS
You gotta love the thrilling and important NFL regular season. I hope college football becomes just like it.
Old December 17, 2002, 12:42   #302
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 07:09
What do you do if you're running the Zoo that is Bengal football?

Two words. Herschel Walker. No, no. Not talking him out of retirement, trading Dillon for draft picks.
But to who? Texas, maybe ? They seem to have a decent defense in the works. A young QB.
So maybe Cincinnati trades their 2nd for Texas' 1st, their 3rd for Texas 2nd, and so on as far as they can take it ?
Old December 17, 2002, 14:18   #303
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:09
They should win with Dillon. Would it kill them to draft an offensive line worth a ****? Dillon is their best hope. Just concentrate on an Offensive line, a good tight end, recievers, and a good QB (with all new coaches as well) and then at least they can put up some points. Defense can wait till later.
Old December 17, 2002, 14:37   #304
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

The Bengals have too many holes. Dillon is good, but he can't be the sole horse, just as Walker couldn't be.
Defense? Defense can't wait. That's what happened to them so far, and wasted Dillon.
Nope. Only choice. Trade him, gather picks, improve the whole team, as able.
Old December 17, 2002, 17:04   #305
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

The Braves retool:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1217/1478382.html

They trade Damian Moss and minor leaguer Manuel Mateo for Russ Ortiz of the Giants. And sign Paul Byrd.

I think trading Moss is a major mistake. He's the next Maddux in my mind. Ortiz is good, but Moss will be great.

I wonder if Paul Byrd is going to be as good as he was last year. I'm not sure if he is.

So the Braves rotation is NOW:
Maddux
Hampton
Ortiz
Millwood
Byrd

Not bad, but not Glavine and Maddux .

---

Quote:
You gotta love the thrilling and important NFL regular season. I hope college football becomes just like it.
I know you are being sarcastic, but I have to agree with the statement! 14 out of the 16 teams in the AFC can get a playoff spot!! Only Houston and Cincy are out of it! And over in the NFC you have 3 teams fighting for home field advantage, which will determine who probably goes to the SuperBowl. How much more exciting can it get?!

I'll take this over college football anyday!

---

Quote:
They should win with Dillon. Would it kill them to draft an offensive line worth a ****? Dillon is their best hope. Just concentrate on an Offensive line, a good tight end, recievers, and a good QB (with all new coaches as well) and then at least they can put up some points. Defense can wait till later.
Exactly!! Forget about Defense or even drafting Palmer this year. Trade the 1st pick down (like San Diego did a few years back) and keep trading down. Get a bunch of GOOD offensive linemen. A good OL can cure a lot of things.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 17, 2002, 17:12   #306
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Trade down. You watch too much Jerry Jones.

Who do you think is the leading rusher over the last 3 years, cumulative?
Old December 17, 2002, 17:23   #307
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Trade down. You watch too much Jerry Jones.
No, I watch too much Bill Walsh .

That's how the 49ers got that dynasty. Walsh traded down about 4 times and got something like 13 picks in 7 rounds in 1979 and picked a LOT of great players in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

The Bengals need to do that with the pick. I'm sure the Bears would like to pick Palmer with the first pick .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 17, 2002, 17:43   #308
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Well. since you want to argue opinions instead of answering question...

Curtis Martin
Old December 17, 2002, 18:12   #309
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 12:09
Imran,

Did you hear something I didn't. Maddux is still up in the air at present, no? Lot of talk that his game may be dropping off at a more precipitous rate than Glavine's due to his relatively poor conditioing efforts combined with aging process.

True Glavine stunk up the joint in the last part of the season and post season but..... the knock is out 'gainst Maddux.

Great point on the excitement of the regular NFL season and how it means nothing in comparison to the all important NCAA regular season.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old December 17, 2002, 18:39   #310
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Both pitchers are getting on in years, and it is likely that neither can last a full season anymore. I truly hope that Smoltz understands that his ticket to the Hall of Fame lies with him remaining a closer - 4 or 5 more years of 40+ saves (and maybe one more Cy Young) gives him quite a career: 163 wins, 118 loss, and 265 saves.

I want Glavine to reach 300, but I hope he does so just over the length of his contract - he needs 56, so give him 14 wins a year and that'll do it.

I think Maddux is already in the Hall, especially with only 27 wins needed for 300. His season W-L record hasn't been below .500 since 1987 - a span of 15 straight years! By the way, he is in arbitration with the Braves along with a number of players.

My Georgia Southern Eagles lost their game. The Falcons are sucking it up. Miami beat Va-Tech, leaving my Dawgs to play for #2. God must be displeased with me.

FSU just sacked Chris Rix for the Sugar Bowl for curfew violations, meaning that they are starting their #3 quarterback. I think he is gone for the game.
Old December 17, 2002, 22:47   #311
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
FSU just sacked Chris Rix for the Sugar Bowl for curfew violations
Actually it was for missing a final. I wonder how you do that?

Quote:
Great point on the excitement of the regular NFL season and how it means nothing in comparison to the all important NCAA regular season.
I was saying the NFL regular season was better than the NCAA regular season this year. The season obviously means something when there are only 6 spots and 13 teams vying for those spots this late in the year (in the AFC).

Quote:
Did you hear something I didn't. Maddux is still up in the air at present, no?
Apparently it seems Maddux is very close to re-signing with Atlanta.

---

WSU'S PRICE IS GOING TO 'BAMA

http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls02/s/ros...takesbama.html

WSU's coach is taking the vacant spot at Alabama. Good choice? Bad choice? Obviously both are good teams, but WSU is his team, while 'Bama is still Franchione's team.
Old December 17, 2002, 23:04   #312
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

WSU'S PRICE IS GOING TO 'BAMA

WSU's coach is taking the vacant spot at Alabama. Good choice? Bad choice? Obviously both are good teams, but WSU is his team, while 'Bama is still Franchione's team.
Funny you should mention that, Mike price used to coach football a Weber State University in my hometown of Ogden, Utah.

Everytime I see WSU and Mike Price, it time warps me to the '80's.

(Of course, Back then it was Weber State College)

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old December 17, 2002, 23:25   #313
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:09
Speaking of the Hall, here's the Veterans' Committee ballot for this year:

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ho...candidates.htm

I'd vote for Minnie Minoso, Ron Santo, and Joe Torre for players, and Whitey Herzog for non-players.

As for Greg Maddux, he's a lock for a first-ballot induction (unless he has the horrible bad luck of being eligible the same year as Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens).

I'm rooting for Clemens to notch #300, preferably AGAINST the Yankees.
Old December 17, 2002, 23:44   #314
Imran Siddiqui
staff

In the Vet's ballot:

Thurman Munson
Don Newcombe
Joe Torre
Bobby Bonds
(Mickey Lolich just misses out)

NON-PLAYERS:

August Busch, Jr.
Whitey Herzog
Marvin Miller
Walter O'Malley
Old December 18, 2002, 00:19   #315
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
I was saying the NFL regular season was better than the NCAA regular season this year. The season obviously means something when there are only 6 spots and 13 teams vying for those spots this late in the year (in the AFC).
Sorry my sarcasm doesn't translate well.
I of course knew that you meant the NFL has a meaningful regular season and agree whole heartedly. My position is the same as yours, Ming, etal (with only a handful of diehard traditionalists not seeing the light) on the whole NCAA playoff issues if you recall.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old December 18, 2002, 00:21   #316
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
FSU just sacked Chris Rix for the Sugar Bowl for curfew violations
Actually it was for missing a final. I wonder how you do that?
Apparently his grad student was sick that day.

Old December 18, 2002, 00:25   #317
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Sorry my sarcasm doesn't translate well.
Ah, the problems of the web . No harm, no foul.

Quote:
Apparently his grad student was sick that day.

Isn't Rix a senior too? What the Hell was he thinking? I mean, he knows that he's the starter now!
Old December 18, 2002, 00:31   #318
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Players:

Curt Flood
Bobby Bonds
Gil Hodges

Composite:

Marvin Miller
Whitey Herzog
Walter O'Malley
Old December 18, 2002, 00:43   #319
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Miller has to go in, doesn't he? Whether good or bad he made the MLBPA as strong as it is.
Old December 18, 2002, 01:58   #320
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Rix missed his exam because he overslept!

LOLOL
Old December 18, 2002, 22:29   #321
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I haven't been keeping up so this may have been mentioned.

I think Philadelphia has a QB controversy. If I were coach I wouldn't put Donavan McNabb back in. They are doing better without him.
Old December 18, 2002, 22:41   #322
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Naw, I think McNabb will start when he comes back.

--

Oh, so the trial for Bonds' 73rd HR is over and the judge said sell the ball and split the proceeds among both of them. Wow... a good trial result!
Old December 18, 2002, 22:48   #323
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I haven't been keeping up so this may have been mentioned.

I think Philadelphia has a QB controversy. If I were coach I wouldn't put Donavan McNabb back in. They are doing better without him.
This isn't the same as the Warner-Bulger deal in St. Louis. It's not the backup QB that is making the difference in Philly, it's playing like a team, which will only help when McNabb returns.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old December 20, 2002, 23:51   #324
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Bump! The Border War tommorow. #12 Illinois vs. #10 Missouri in the "neutral" Kiehl center in St. Louis. One of my roommates stood in line for 6 hours to get a ticket for that game...
Old December 21, 2002, 00:03   #325
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:

Rix missed his exam because he overslept!

LOLOL
This just in from FSU.

It was two exams he "slept" through.

Allegations abound on a gambling ring being busted. Too preliminary at this point to know if players were involved but police are pressuring suspects to name names including players.......hmmmm......

Was McPherson's blank check done simply to cover his gambling debts?????

Inquiring minds want to know?

(I call for Bobby Bowden to resign immediately. This way JoePa can step down as well and retain his winningest Coach status. )

Old December 21, 2002, 17:48   #326
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Braves save $10 million by trading Millwood for some catcher. What I don't understand is, if you're going to dump him, why not dump him in the AL and not in your own division? Kelly Ligtenberg wasn't offered a contract either.

sigh

But... we did get 17 game winner Paul Byrd and Russ Ortiz, so it's not as if we've been fire-selling only. Regardless, the NL East is going to be an interesting division to watch this upcoming season - it might be the best race of the year.

But probably not, as the Mets collapse again and the Phillies hang on through August, only to slowly let it slip away.
Old December 21, 2002, 17:49   #327
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Hey guys:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=71628

And I dunno if Byrd and Ortiz are going to win as many games again .
Old December 21, 2002, 17:52   #328
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'll just cut 'n paste my comments to that thread and delete them from this one. Sorry 'bout that.

But don't open a new thread until the other is closed!!!!
Old December 22, 2002, 02:53   #329
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I want to use this space to talk about running/scrambling QB's. I'd like to hear you guy's thoughts.

Thinking back to the last few superbowls, you don't see a lot of them make it to the superbowl or win a superbowl. New England- Tom Brady, Baltimore- Trent Dilfer, St. Louis- Kurt Warner, Denver- John Elway, Green Bay- Brett Favre, San Fransisco- Steve Young, Dallas- Troy Aikman. All great passers (except maybe Trent Dilfer- I can't explain how they won the superbowl ). No doubt running/scrambling QB's lead good teams. And win a lot of games. But they are missing something. Fact is you still have to be a decent passer and have a good passing game to win a superbowl. Steve Young may have been a scrambler but he was a very, very accurate passer.

Look at Randal Cunningham. He was close being 1 field goal away from a superbowl. Gary Anderson missed after being so accurate that year (he got the game winner today though ). But I still think Denver would have stomped his team. Dante Culpepper isn't much better. Michael Vick will never go anywhere until they get some good recievers and have a strong passing game.

These thoughts came about because of Philadelphia's performance of late. They are doing better without Donavan McNabb. Now you can say the team has picked up their game to compensate for their fallen QB. But for 5 games? I have never heard of a team elevating their game for that long. Fact is I think they have a better shot of winning a superbowl with A.J. Feeley.

Of all of them Aaron Brooks is my favourite. If it weren't for the crappy New Orleans defense they might actually have a shot at a superbowl. The reason why I like Aaron Brooks is of all the runner/scrambling QB's in the game today I think he is the best passer. Passing should always be the reason to pickup a QB not running.

Last edited by Dis; December 22, 2002 at 03:01.
Old December 22, 2002, 23:30   #330
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Hmmm....

On the other side of the coin the most prolific pocket quarterback Dan Marino never had the balanced offense that allowed a run game to wear out an opposing defense. As a consequence you could see the games unfold in typical fashion. Miami defense would be on the field too long and would be tired, Opposing teams scores late causing the need for a Miami miracle led by Dan the Man.

(Ok I've really digressed)

Running quarterbacks absolutely are the thing. That means tho' that the running quarterback must first and foremost be accurate and be able to go through his read progression properly first. Pass first then run. The threat of run will normally cause D-coordinators to have a linebacker to spy him (if he is any good) thus normally allowing a dump off to a RB out of the back field.

All in all much more difficult to defense and will continue to be increasingly more and more effective.

The only thing that concerns me is the running QB has the same tendency to be injured that a pocket QB has (i.e. a blind side blitz) but then also has the chance of injury when running downfield. I worry that the trend of running QB might increase the amount of QB injuries (ala Young, McNabb, Cunnigham was never healthy, McNair was dinged up, Vick this year). it just seems to me that the running QB is much more susceptible to injury and if you have all your eggs in a Mike Vick-like basket you may be asking for trouble.