Old December 10, 2002, 19:05   #181
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
LOL!

Miami has a great opening .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 10, 2002, 19:13   #182
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 07:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
But we don't know who he was betting on, you know?
Oh come on... We are talking Pete Rose here... there is NO way he would bet against himself, or his team. That's just not his style.
Old December 10, 2002, 19:23   #183
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

I wouldn't think so either. Cocky isn't something you turn on and off.
Old December 10, 2002, 19:24   #184
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Just because you think that he may not be betting against his own team means he probably didn't? Come on.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 10, 2002, 19:28   #185
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Too much of a competitor. The very reason you want him in the Hall.
Old December 10, 2002, 19:39   #186
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Exactly...
Old December 10, 2002, 19:55   #187
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 12:09
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
That makes no sense, if I understand you.
Ban, unban, then ban again ? Is that what you're saying?
And what difference does his position make, as far as making bets ?
I'm just trying to understand. In this you're saying ok to bet as player, not as manager?
Actually it was a bit of a joke.

I think he shouldbe in the HoF for his accomplishmens as a player.

[sarcasm]
I also think it not unreasonable to have him banned at every baseball event for his shame on baseball. (yeah right. They have known drug addicts in the league but gambling is forbidden LOL....) {/sarcasm]

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old December 10, 2002, 23:23   #188
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
As long as he wasn't betting on his team to lose, than frankly, I don't give a damn. Point shaving and throwing/fixing games is one thing, betting on yourself to win is something entirely different.
Ming, all betting on your sport should be prohibited regardless of the type of bet. Modern day atheletics has enough problems without formally associating with gambling!

About Pete Rose. There is a concept known as penance, and part of that belief is that it doesn't last forever. Imho Pete Rose has paid his, and I think he should be unconditionally be allowed back into baseball, provided that he follows the rules, of course.

My reason for the unconditional acceptance is a radio interview I heard this past October between former MLB Commisioner Fay Vincent and somebody I don't remember (Charlie Rose?) In this interview, Fay claimed that Rose can not ever admit that he bet on baseball for to do so would then open himself up to further federal and civil penalties and suits. Pete has always maintained that he never bet on baseball, even in court and in depositions.

I don't know... the man is aging, screwed, and desperate. If I think of somebody who must be going through Hell on Earth, it has to be Pete Rose - to be so close but yet so far from the only thing that you have ever loved. Tragic, really.

Anyway, baseball needs to proclaim his "sentence" served and install him in the next HoF round.
Old December 10, 2002, 23:29   #189
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

My opinion on Pete Rose has always been this: As long as the guy doesn't want to admit his wrongs, his ban from active participation should stand, but either way, give the man his damn well-deserved Hall of Fame plaque already.

Guy: Texas Christian better be saying some prayers
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old December 10, 2002, 23:38   #190
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

On second thought the only way he can be allowed into the HoF (in order to get the Og vote at least) is he has to go in as a Philly.

LOL...

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old December 10, 2002, 23:43   #191
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Funny you should mention that.

In a very rainy Gator Bowl today, Texas Christian jumped out to a 14-0 lead early in the first quarter. However, rioting nearly broke out after the ensuing 50 minutes, as a strange, ne'er-before-seen force manifested itself on the muddy field; some experts are calling it the "Ohio State offense". Whatever it was, it led to a 63-21 Buckeye victory. In the panic that ensued from this strange phenomenon, several fires were set in Jacksonville; luckily the rain prevented any serious damage.

Following the game, Ohio State's coach, OSU COACH, was feeling cocky at the press conference: "63-21? Ha! Where's your 'God' now, Texas Christian?" He then sacrificed a virgin (reports indicate it was a TCU cheerleader) and bathed in her blood.

Meanwhile, over in the Peach Bowl, the Big Ten suffered the first upset of the inaugural GGNCAACFT--with the lowest-ranked wildcard beating the highest-ranked wildcard--as Arkansas overcame a 10-0 halftime deficit to beat Iowa, 27-10. Iowa QB #10 was the latest bit by the interception bug, tossing five picks--all in the second half--including one returned for a TD that put the Razorbacks up 20-10 in the third quarter. The despondent QB #10 was only able to sob "Heisman... Heisman..." following his performance.

So, recapping first round action thus far:

Holiday Bowl: #1 Miami 92, #16 North Texas 3. Miami advances to the Rose Bowl, playing the winner of Notre Dame-Florida State.

Gator Bowl: #2 Ohio State 63, #15 TCU 21. Ohio State advances to the CapitalOne Bowl, playing the winner of Oklahoma-Boise State.

Peach Bowl: #14 Arkansas 27, #3 Iowa 10. Arkansas advances to the Cotton Bowl, playing the winner of Washington State-Virginia Tech.
Old December 10, 2002, 23:44   #192
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT

If I think of somebody who must be going through Hell on Earth, it has to be Pete Rose
I don't really have a strong opinion on Pete Rose's situation in general.

That aside, I have to say that it's utterly ridiculous to call his situation "Hell on Earth"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old December 11, 2002, 00:17   #193
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Ming, all betting on your sport should be prohibited regardless of the type of bet. Modern day atheletics has enough problems without formally associating with gambling!
I disagree... The leagues allow far worse... drugs, steriods, and many other forms of abuse that lead to problems. They are adults... they have the right to screw up just like you and me. Some of the players in the HOF are pure pond scum, but they are in the Hall because of their abilities... And so should Pete Rose.

I personally dislike him... I've never been a fan of his.

But if morals is a reason to exclude somebody from the HOF, it's time to start clearing out a lot of the current members.
Old December 11, 2002, 00:18   #194
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

But if morals is a reason to exclude somebody from the HOF, it's time to start clearing out a lot of the current members.
The same could be said for Apolyton......

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old December 11, 2002, 01:19   #195
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
ne'er-before-seen force manifested itself on the muddy field; some experts are calling it the "Ohio State offense".

And IOWA , we hardly knew yah!
Old December 11, 2002, 01:24   #196
David Floyd
Emperor

[quote]Holiday Bowl: #1 Miami [b]92[b/], #16 North Texas 3.

Is that 92 correct?
Old December 11, 2002, 01:28   #197
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yes, it is.
Old December 11, 2002, 01:33   #198
David Floyd
Emperor

Well holy ****.
Old December 11, 2002, 01:35   #199
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i can't wait to see OSU lose to #15 Texas Christian

I predict a 10-3 win for TC
Old December 11, 2002, 01:36   #200
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Yes, it is.

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
Well holy ****.

Old December 11, 2002, 01:45   #201
H Tower

Illinois wins against Eastern Illinois, big suprise there I'm just mad I had to miss the game because I've got so much school stuff do this week that I had to skip the game. Their next big game comes against now #10 Missouri on the 21st in another Border War game.

Anybody else going to try and watch the Tulsa/Kansas game tommorow night? It looks like it could be a decent matchup. How far will Kansas drop this year?
Old December 11, 2002, 01:50   #202
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Hmm, well I know jack about college basketball (or NBA for that matter ).
Old December 11, 2002, 02:03   #203
H Tower

I'm the same for the NBA
Old December 11, 2002, 04:56   #204
Ming
lifer
Retired

While tonights game won't move them up them polls... they are looking good.

GO ILLINI!
Old December 11, 2002, 05:06   #205
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Isn't it funny that college basketball has the best playoffs in all sport, and college football is the only American sport without a playoff?
Old December 11, 2002, 19:07   #206
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
i can't wait to see OSU lose to #15 Texas Christian

I predict a 10-3 win for TC
Too late; look up a few posts, and you'll see a final of Buckeyes 63, Horned Frogs 21.

That game is an instant finalist for the annual Lame-ass Mascots Award.
Old December 11, 2002, 20:13   #207
Imran Siddiqui
staff

HEISMAN FINALISTS ANNOUNCED:

Banks (Iowa)
Dorsey (Miami)
Johnson (Penn St.)
McGahee (Miami)
Palmer (USC)

Who's gonna win? I think McGahee will get it, especially with the 6 TDs against VTech.
Old December 11, 2002, 20:17   #208
Tuberski

Quote:
HEISMAN FINALISTS ANNOUNCED:

Banks (Iowa)
Dorsey (Miami)
Johnson (Penn St.)
McGahee (Miami)
Palmer (USC)

Who's gonna win? I think McGahee will get it, especially with the 6 TDs against VTech.
The only thing that hurts McGahee is that Dorsey is on his team also, that tends to split votes.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old December 11, 2002, 20:27   #209
Imran Siddiqui
staff

True, and maybe that would allow Palmer to win.
Old December 11, 2002, 21:12   #210
Ming
lifer
Retired

The ones that don't win should consider themselves lucky. Maybe then they can have real NFL careers

Lately, winning the HEISMAN has been the kiss of death for a successful pro career...

Oh.... and imran...

Quote:
Isn't it funny that college basketball has the best playoffs in all sport, and college football is the only American sport without a playoff?