Old January 17, 2003, 06:06   #31
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 13:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Did I say West of course I meant East
Old January 17, 2003, 09:12   #32
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 12:09
Opps. Sorry. The provisional orders are overwhelmingly winning at the moment. However, when the probe foil gets back from The Labourers Throng, I will have send it back, via the islands. I think that is the quickest way to explore them.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old January 17, 2003, 12:56   #33
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 14:09
TKG, any idea yet what hurry orders you are gonna allow? Or did you already say it somewhere and did I miss it?
Old January 17, 2003, 19:55   #34
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 09:09
i *thought* i put it somewhere...let me look for it
Old January 19, 2003, 11:57   #35
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
for now, just work all new bases to the north. i'll check the save later, and we can hold a poll sooner if you feel overworked
Well it's not that I feel overworked. I just presumed four was, except for temporary newly founded bases, the maximum allowed bases in one region. So I presumed, after some more northern bases were built, I would be forced to give up a base. If so, I would rather prefer to loose Sheathed Sword than Terminal Dogma because in Sheathed Sword there are currently living no VIPs (Very Important Peacekeepers), while in Terminal Dogma Archaic and Comrade Chris live. But if it is allowed to permanently have 5 bases in a region, like Akiria and Twin Sea have if I'm not mistaken, I'd love to keep Sheathed Sword under Jedinican jurisdiction.

Quote:
however, once the 2 bases have been built to the north, i intend to put them in a region with sheathed sword. maybe terminal dogma too if we ever get a base on that little peninsula-thingy northeast of TBIBTU
I believe that little peninsula lies geographically closer to Centralis. Personally I'd give such a base to Centralis. That would also bring Centralis up to controlling 5 bases, just as some of the other regions.

So what is the ideal # of bases in a region? Four or five?
Old January 19, 2003, 12:15   #36
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

TKG: Can I formally request 10 ec to change the Scout Patrol in New Tassagrad to a Police Scout Patrol? We currently have grown from 3 to 7 citizens in the last turnchat, and this has caused drone riots. A police unit would be much help.

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Well it's not that I feel overworked. I just presumed four was, except for temporary newly founded bases, the maximum allowed bases in one region. So I presumed, after some more northern bases were built, I would be forced to give up a base. If so, I would rather prefer to loose Sheathed Sword than Terminal Dogma because in Sheathed Sword there are currently living no VIPs (Very Important Peacekeepers), while in Terminal Dogma Archaic and Comrade Chris live. But if it is allowed to permanently have 5 bases in a region, like Akiria and Twin Sea have if I'm not mistaken, I'd love to keep Sheathed Sword under Jedinican jurisdiction.
Akiria will have 6, but I believe both (or hopefully only 1) of the Freshwater Sea bases will become owned by a different region. Also, Akirian bases are much smaller than those of other regions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
I believe that little peninsula lies geographically closer to Centralis. Personally I'd give such a base to Centralis. That would also bring Centralis up to controlling 5 bases, just as some of the other regions.

So what is the ideal # of bases in a region? Four or five?
I agree, give the new base on the peninsular to Centralis, and I would say 5 bases is the optimum for a Governor.

Old January 19, 2003, 13:08   #37
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

as i didn't previously realise that there would be 2 FWC bases, i'm prepared to give 1 to DBTS.

and go ahead with the upgrade, drug
Old January 19, 2003, 13:33   #38
Drogue
staff

Give UNMI to Aurillion, or Centralis or whoever. I want the Southern one though, as it's nearest to Akiria, and it is my party island

What will it be called. If we don't have a name, can I recommend Azibi?

Old January 19, 2003, 13:44   #39
Maniac

I'm afraid Espirito del Aqua is second in line, just like your capital Aurora a name proposed by me.
Old January 19, 2003, 14:19   #40
Drogue
staff

That sounds cool. I like it

TKG: Can you retify a rush for a Children's Creche in Twin Peaks in 1 turn? It will cost 58ec (I think, hard to know for sure, but somewhere between 55 and 60ec). Twin Peaks has only 2 people and needs to grow.

Old January 19, 2003, 17:20   #41
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

So we get a party island. My travel agents are already promoting it
Espirito del Aqua is fine
Old January 23, 2003, 15:47   #42
Maniac

Hurry requests to the DIA

-[High Priority - social analysts predict drone riots in MY 2231] a hurry of the network node (in MY 2229!) being constructed at Terminal Dogma. It would cost around 100 ec.
-[Low Priority] a hurry of the rec tanks being constructed at Valhalla. It would cost 34 ec.
-I am currently building a third colony pod at Sheathed Sword (base location needs to be polled). That makes three new northern bases in the end. I was wondering, could these three be made into a new region the next term, leaving Sheathed Sword in Jedinica Vrijstaat?
Old January 23, 2003, 17:39   #43
Method
Emperor

i'll check that later, when i can *see* the bases. it's kinda hard to imagine them

and go ahead with the rushes
Old January 31, 2003, 23:27   #44
Hercules
Deity

Right. I have forwarded requests to the various regional governors re prototypes of AAA units and needlejets and interceptors.

I was looking for volunteer bases but none have being forthcoming ( partly as consequence of election fever.) so I am asking for the DIA and Alpha Talent to use their influence /or authority at this stage to initiate design and build Q activity instruction.
Old January 31, 2003, 23:30   #45
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 23:09
Um, Herc, as I said to you in the Centralis Governor's office, NEW APOLYTON IS ALREADY BUILDING A MISSILE TACTICAL, AND HAS BEEN SINCE THE 24TH.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:35   #46
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 05:09
To whom do I make an inquiry about possibly designing a Penetrator Colony Pod (i.e. needlejet with colony module)? I believe it would provide us with an effective, efficient, and quick means of colonizing both the northern portion of the continent we occupy, but also in establishing our presence on other landmasses.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:38   #47
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Is it actually possible to put a CP on a needlejet?
Old February 1, 2003, 02:41   #48
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
Yes, I’m surprised that not many people actually do this in their SMAC/X games. The only downside would be that the air colony pod can only construct land bases for some odd reason, nevertheless it cuts down on travel time considerably.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:43   #49
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

How much does it cost?
Old February 1, 2003, 02:46   #50
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 07:09
Quote:
To my knowledge (see edit) there are no restrictions on special "weapon" packages to certain chassis (except planet busters which act as their own chassis in a way). CP jets can be a lot of fun (if expensive), its like "bombing" your enemies with colonies... particularly fun if you can immediately drop in some garrisons and/or attack troops Probe jets, I imagine, could also be quite useful if you could reach the target in time. Former jets, on the other hand, tend to be less feasible
... Former grav-ships, on the third hand... *rambles on for hours*

edit- having checked I've discovered that neither formers nor probes can be stuck on needlejet chassis.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:48   #51
Voltaire
King

Quote:
How much does it cost?
Cost=126
Prototype=189

Just to give you an estimate on build time, our industrial centers (i.e. Tactius Academy, New Suez, and New Aployton) could construct the prototype in around 7 turns.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:52   #52
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

How many turns would be saved on travel time, given that if we built a normal one, we could probably do it in 1-2 turns?

EDIT: And would the saving in travel time really be worth the extra cost in minerals? 6-7 turns would be enough to complete a Fusion Lab, or get quite close to building a Hybrid Forest. Would founding a new base a few turns early really be worth it?

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; February 1, 2003 at 02:57.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:58   #53
Voltaire
King

Quote:
How many turns would be saved on travel time, given that if we built a normal one, we could probably do it in 1-2 turns?
I would say that given the fact that the outer lying regions of the faction are undeveloped lacking roadways or another infrastructure; an air colony pod after its construction would be able to reach its destination in the north in one or two turns. Considerably less time than it would take for a regular colony pod to reach the same destination. Granted the fact that the cost for the construction of air colony pods is steep this offsets the speed advantage, also not all of our bases could build air colony pods due to the high cost associated with them. I will run exact comparisons later when I have more time.

I think the main advantage to air colony pods would be the fact that we could establish a base on the Hiverian continent as well as elsewhere remote and inaccessible to us by any other means than sea. New landmasses which before were a considerable distance away could now be reached solving our growing demand for space.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:59   #54
Voltaire
King

Quote:
And would the saving in travel time really be worth the extra cost in minerals? 6-7 turns would be enough to complete a Fusion Lab, or get quite close to building a Hybrid Forest. Would founding a new base a few turns early really be worth it?
Yes if that base is on a different landmass and inaccessible to us by any other more efficient means.
Old February 1, 2003, 02:59   #55
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 07:09
I think it depends on where you're building the base... a few squares off our road network, for instance, would be far from worth it... but hitting the square in the dead center of the ruins without wading through all that fungus could be worth the price tag.
Old February 1, 2003, 03:05   #56
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Yeah, I agree. I was thinking you meant just to help extend our borders further north - no need to spend so much on it, when we have bases that can easily produce enough CPs and get them there at a reasonable pace.
Old February 1, 2003, 09:22   #57
Maniac

Is it cheaper when we use fusion reactors in our colonization planes?
Quote:
I was looking for volunteer bases but none have being forthcoming
I had no idea we had to volunteer building military units. I do remember asking me last session for more military units in Jedinica, so I already ordered the construction of two before you even asked them.
Also personally I think it's a waste of minerals to start building lots of military units before we have researched fusion power. With the exception of a tactical in Centralis and AAA infantry in Jedinica, I propose we wait with a further military build-up until the next session.
Old February 17, 2003, 16:43   #58
Maniac

Hi TKG, a little problem became apparent to me while I was making the missing orders for the previous turnchat. No one has been appointed governor of Circular Quay afaik. So could you please assign the base to some region?
Old February 17, 2003, 18:12   #59
Method
Emperor

eenie, meenie, myenie, moe uh, i'll poll it
Old March 6, 2003, 14:42   #60
Maniac

I just had a deeper look in the governor orders already given up until now. And as there was some discussion about those, I'd like to mention governor TKG of Aurillion Province has put a few genejack factories in his build queues. Unless there are objections, I'll of course put them in the queues. But just in the case Cedayon, our DIA, would like to organize a public gen-ethic debate about those, I'm mentioning it here.