Old December 6, 2002, 14:05   #31
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 05:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Let's tally Finland's contributions to world culture, science, and history shall we? MY! That was quick!

The winner by default is AMERICA!
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 6, 2002, 14:13   #32
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 12:10
Quote:
America does'nt have to worry, Finland is going to the Moose, and the Finns won't reintroduce wolves.
Americans know what to do with an excessive moose
population
A Moose once bit my sister... No realli!!! She was Karving her initals on the moose with the sharpened end of an interspace toothbrush given by Svenge - her brother-in-law- an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian movies: "The Hot Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "the Huge Molars of Horst Nordfink."

Mynd you, moose bites Kan be pretty nasti...

(Just kidding)

Who cares about Finland? They may like those cell phones, but one day, when it is proven that cell phones cause cancer of the head, the Finns will feel pretty dumb. Besides, why does having a cell phone make you better?

America is better than Finland. In many, many, many ways to numerous to number. Yet, I think the most important reason that America is better than Finland is that America is not named Finland. It makes me think of a giant amusement park for some reason.

Also, who cares if Finns have a higher chance of speaking a foreign language. They are all learning English anyway.

A big army is definitly a reason why America is better. If you don't think so, tell them... Go on, I dare you.

Demiliterized Zone? Ha! It is just a way of saying that you are to scared to fight, or to stand up to the bullies of the world. A big army, no army, what does it matter? What needs to be realized is that in the world you sometimes have to fight for freedom. Perhaps the Finns may be smarter in that they get others to fight their wars for them these days. Yet, having a strong economy and a pleasant way of life is nothing if you can't protect it.

Call me a Dollar... Euros!
Old December 6, 2002, 14:27   #33
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 14:10
Well, USA might be greater, but no country in the world is alone the greatest. No one can be that. Especially calling your own country the greatest is selfish. I never claimed anything about Finland being the greatest. I'm only defending that we're not a bad country.
Old December 6, 2002, 14:30   #34
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Yes, but he claimed that all Finland would be. That's the lie.
No I didn't.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 6, 2002, 14:34   #35
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Nope,
Yes, you were. Don't make me dig through my Poli Sci texts.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 6, 2002, 14:42   #36
Rasbelin
Emperor

*BIG SIGH*

Old December 6, 2002, 14:50   #37
Japher
Emperor

I am don't know if Finland is all that bad or not, even with the Majestic Moose.

Yet, better or worse, none or the Greatest. You are correct Ras.

Without multiple countries the economies would have issues. It always nice to have a country with a good economy around.

It is also nice to have countries around that know how to govern and manage those economies. Finland is definitly not a 3rd world country with tons of problems, but Finland is also no economical, political, or sociological powerhouse. It is hard to rank any of the European/Scandanavian countries as being better than one or the other mainly because of the concentration of the countries and the relatively similar social structures.

In my opinion what we have are regions, not so much countries. Also, I devide these regions differently than would a geographical map. It is these regions that reflect "betterness" or "worseness" for the countries within that region. It is like a neighborhood, and your property values are only as high as whatever your neighbor sold his house for.

Scandanavian countries tend to fall in the European Region, and as a region the Euro is very powerful and influential. Mainly due to centuries of established policy, which can also be seen as a downfall.

America is linked with Canada and Mexico. While Mexico is the "worse" neighbor, they are attempting political and economical reform. The influence of Mexico's northern neighbors will eventually infiltrate their boarders.

Thus, while America has a "bad" neighbor, as far as "property values" go, Americas influence is so great that it tends to impede on other countries and civilzations. This, I feel, makes America "better" than Finland (whatever that means). Yet, in comparing regions, we are equals.
Old December 6, 2002, 15:15   #38
Rasbelin
Emperor

Japher, good to see that you don't overestimate too greatly the greatness of USA. Comparing countries is IMO very stupid and childish. It's like a waste of time. Why not just say we have countries?
Old December 6, 2002, 15:18   #39
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 15:10
But if we really think about it, we do have a huge army. Almost every man is in it . Unofficial numbers are closer to one million.. for those who are fit to do it if mobilization is needed.. so small army is only to fool our enemies to think that .

Besides, true power is to choose your battles, and true victory is NOT to fight.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old December 6, 2002, 15:24   #40
Pekka
Emperor

Besides, don't mock us today, it's our independece day. Save it for tomorrow.

Comparing countries 'who is better' is just stupid. How do you measure it? There are many things in here that are better than in the US, and there are things in the US that are better there than here.
One thing is for sure, Finland is the best country.. for Finnish people to live in. And that what counts.

The US is prolly the best country for Americans to live in.
Old December 6, 2002, 15:29   #41
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
The US is prolly the best country for Americans to live in.
Not necessarily. It's really been frightening a lot of lately. Europe looks better and better.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 6, 2002, 15:32   #42
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Europe looks better and better.
Too bad the government just cut off your escape route with the "no fly lists."
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 6, 2002, 15:38   #43
Rasbelin
Emperor

Pekka, good talk from you.

Now, dear Yanks, please abstain from mocking Finland today or you will feel my anger. Maybe we should kidnap your ambassador Bonnie McElween-Carter on the Independence Day party of the president at the presidential palace, if you have more bad mouthing about us.

Err... what did I say?

Anyway, I think we have a consensus now.
Old December 6, 2002, 15:59   #44
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Sweden is off course a lot better then Finland, even a Finn admits it!
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old December 6, 2002, 17:08   #45
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Re: Re: Sorry, no hard feelings Euros
Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
Quote:
I thought I should have the last word
Good luck with that

Smileys across the board for that one.

[Serious mode]
The US is nothing more than the most powerful country in the world. It is nothing to be particularly proud of, and there is no reason for the Euros to care. [/Serious mode] That is why your thread is getting spammed.
Old December 6, 2002, 18:30   #46
tinyp3nis
Prince

Re: Re: Re: Sorry, no hard feelings Euros
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

We here at Hong Kong may be a bit higher, probably approaching 100%. When you see Fillipino mates and eighty year old women walking around with them, you know you have it in the bag
What it appears, is totally different from the statistics. I wonder how much that "probably approaching 100%" really is. For example, I don't know _anyone_ in real life who does not have a cell phone, actually I myself was the last person I know to get one, and I felt like I was the last man against stupid cell phone boom right before untill I got it, and that was _2 years_ ago...
Funny thing, Rasbelin told in Suomithreadi that he is going to get a cell phone, he does not have one now!!

P.s Actually I know people irl who do not have cell phones, but they are 6 year old children.
Old December 6, 2002, 18:32   #47
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 09:10
johncmcleod, I accept your apology. Am I the first?
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old December 6, 2002, 19:00   #48
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
johncmcleod, I accept your apology. Am I the first?
Yep, and the last.

Old December 6, 2002, 19:17   #49
Hurricane
Warlord

Just for the record, Finland has been surpassed by quite a few countries in number of mobile phones/person. I can't recollect the list right now (read it in the newspaper some 6 months ago), but I think there were about 5 countries with higher penetration than us.

Of course, it all depends on how you count.
Old December 6, 2002, 19:37   #50
Seneca
King

When Americans appear in large numbers on Finnish forums, displaying a wit and command of language in a foreign language that puts the natives to shame, then you can start boasting.

I'm well impressed with Finland.
Old December 6, 2002, 19:38   #51
Seneca
King

Of course, the saving grace of the British is that we know we're sh!t.
Old December 6, 2002, 19:51   #52
Pekka
Emperor

Ok, it's 7.12 here already. Let the beatings begin!
Old December 6, 2002, 20:04   #53
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"When Americans appear in large numbers on Finnish forums,"

Finns aren't appearing in large number on an American forun. They are appearing in large numbers on a Greco/Canadian forum.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old December 6, 2002, 20:11   #54
Seneca
King

An English-speaking forum, however.

But I bet those Finns could speak Greek and Canadian just as well!
Old December 6, 2002, 21:11   #55
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

we have to choose between USA and Finland, well didnt take me much to decide
Attached Images:

Old December 6, 2002, 21:52   #56
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 13:10
Quote:
(who went in space first, Finland or America?),
yeah but the finns came from space. that must count for something
Old December 6, 2002, 22:16   #57
Seneca
King

By the way, why hasn't Stefu put a Santa hat on my avatar?

Not the picture, any fool could do that. I mean, why hasn't he put a 100-foot Santa hat on the actual Clifton Suspension bridge? On both towers, mind.

I will hold all Finns to be a shower of shallow-talking fools until he does.
Old December 6, 2002, 22:54   #58
Evil Knevil
Prince

Local Time: 13:10
Quote:
yeah but the finns came from space
Well their language does seem to come from another planet (no offence my Finnish overlords).

Anyway its fun laughing at America's hubris. I suspect that within my lifetime America will suffer the consequences she deserves.
Old December 6, 2002, 23:09   #59
Pekka
Emperor

I can't understand what's so funny about our language.. I mean when I was in states, a woman actually interrupted me and my friend talking 'what language is that?' and after I told her 'Ok.. is it ok if I listen to a bit? Do you mind? Just think I'm not here'. And then she was next to us, listening. It was so weird and when she asked if we were feeling uncomfortable.. well I just couldn't lie .
Old December 6, 2002, 23:10   #60
Pekka
Emperor

Last time I was just listening a language I couldn't understand without reason was when there were some Ethiopian dudes in tv, and they were making all these clicking sounds etc..