Old December 7, 2002, 03:23   #61
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 14:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Seneca
When Americans appear in large numbers on Finnish forums, displaying a wit and command of language in a foreign language that puts the natives to shame, then you can start boasting.

I'm well impressed with Finland.

And you know who was responsible for that.
Attached Images:

Old December 7, 2002, 17:39   #62
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 04:10
Quote:
originally posted by Evil Knevil:
Anyway its fun laughing at America's hubris. I suspect that within my lifetime America will suffer the consequences she deserves.
Yeah, we suffered consequences. 9/11. I think thousads of innocent people dying is enough punishiment, you should be satisfied. And I wouldn't be talking, because for a long time the British were no less arrogant. They believed (and they were for a long time) they were the best in the world, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just because we think we're the best (and not everyone does think we are the best in America, in fact, many really hate the government. They always complain about taxes, how Bush is a moron, and they think everything is a government conspiracy.), doesn't mean we're going to say Americans are better than everyone else Europeans are subhuman and then start attacking people. There are way to many people that know better than that.

Even if we are arrogant, who cares? I've never met a person who thinks Americans are better than everyone else.

I hoped I wasn't offensive by saying Euros. It's just an abbreviation.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old December 7, 2002, 17:46   #63
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 15:10
paiktis: I wonder what would happen if some finnish geek will incidentally meet the REAL Ron Jeremy, will come up to him and say:

Finnish Nerdy Kid: Hey, I know you.
Ron Jeremy : (tired) yes, yes that's me.
Kid: you're the guy I saw on the web.
Ron: yep, that's me, what do you want an autograph.
Kid: No, but I really liked that thread you posted on that website about us Finns, made me laugh. you're one cool guy.
Ron:
Old December 9, 2002, 06:01   #64
aaglo
King

Re: Sorry, no hard feelings Euros
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
(snip) who went in space first, Finland or America? (snip)
1# - Finns never went to space.
2# - It propably would be best if you dollars would stay there.

Old December 9, 2002, 18:00   #65
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 13:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
Incidentally, Finns invented capitalism.
No they didn't! Adam Smith was Scottish!

I must admit though, I have enjoyed my visits to Finland much more than my visits to the US.

Finland
Old December 10, 2002, 05:02   #66
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogan Josh

No they didn't! Adam Smith was Scottish!
Did Adam Smith invent capitalism, or did he just describe it.
Old December 10, 2002, 06:40   #67
Hurricane
Warlord

The point is that Adam Smith was not the first. The Finn
Anders Chydenius wrote "The National Gain" already in 1765, that is, 11 years before Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations". The reason Adam Smith now is the more famous guy is of course that his book was published in English in contrary to Chydenius' Swedish.

Link: http://www.chydenius.net/historia/te...n_johdanto.asp
Old December 10, 2002, 06:45   #68
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane
Just for the record, Finland has been surpassed by quite a few countries in number of mobile phones/person. I can't recollect the list right now (read it in the newspaper some 6 months ago), but I think there were about 5 countries with higher penetration than us.
I think Israel is now #1.
Old December 10, 2002, 11:04   #69
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 07:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane
The point is that Adam Smith was not the first.
The person who brings it to the world, rather than his own little corner of it, is the person that gets the credit. Which is why Anders Chydenius has faded into general obscurity.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 10, 2002, 11:18   #70
Pekka
Emperor

No. Chydenius is a legend and pioneer. It has faded only in the minds of ignorant and uneducated .
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old December 10, 2002, 12:13   #71
Flandrien1
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 12:10
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
I hoped I wasn't offensive by saying Euros. It's just an abbreviation.
No offense taken.
You may need a new abbreviation.
What about Yuri's ?
Old December 10, 2002, 16:12   #72
Anodyne
Prince

Quote:
Finland = cold.
Quote:
Just a yet another stereotype that it's cold here and polar bears walk in the streets, etc. Actually it's frequently +25-30 degrees Celsius warm during the summer here, so I wouldn't call that cold.
Ha, don't try to embroider the truth. It IS really DAMN cold here... so what if we get some 4 months of heat, but it's quite effectively balanced with 4 months of semi-warm to quite cold and 4 months of helluva cold temperatures. I mean, every time I look at the central European temperatures at the weather forecast, for example, I just can't help thinking something like "+10ºC in November... those bastards!
But yeah, summers are nice.

Oh, and even in the southest part of Finland, days are only ~3-5 hours long at the heart of the deepest winter. So it's almost (although you could never compare it to the real kaamos) darkness, or at least not-much-sunlight 24/7.

Seriously speaking though, our climate is sub-continental, with relatively warm summers (Average temperatures being similar to the English summer, without the moist and "milding" effects of the sea) and cold winters (Hm, can't really find a parallel... Alaska perhaps?)

Hmh... I was like inches away from writing how I hated all Finns just telling fact after fact of their country whenever the subject is even potentially close to it... but instead I noticed myself doing the same
Old December 10, 2002, 18:12   #73
Pekka
Emperor

You know, we rule. Our climate sucks, but we rule. God is like drill sergeant. He pushes the best people to the limit. God knows we rule, and he pushes as all the time with the weather thing, making us even more strong.
Old December 10, 2002, 19:19   #74
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Is it true you put newborns out in the cold first night they are born, and if they can survive the cold and fight off the wolves they deserve to live?

maybe its just a roumor huh
Old December 10, 2002, 19:39   #75
Pekka
Emperor

Yes, it's true.
Old December 11, 2002, 02:36   #76
Hurricane
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
The person who brings it to the world, rather than his own little corner of it, is the person that gets the credit. Which is why Anders Chydenius has faded into general obscurity.
Depends on how you define "world". If world=England, that statement would perhaps make some sense. But we all know that in fact, world=Finland.
Old December 12, 2002, 23:15   #77
johncmcleod
Prince

The whole thng started out when a couple of Europeans in another thread a long time ago (I think one of them was Pekka actually) said the US wasn't the best country in the world, and not even second or third best. I wrote in argument to that in my "like it or not Euros we're the best" thread. And I get hell from some of the Europeans.

Then Pekka and a couple of other Finnish said they were the best. Though I disagree and would argue with them, I respect that that's their belief.

But why am I the one getting criticized by everyone?

Also, I believe Japan is second best, not a European country. The Japanese have such a strong work ethic, a great school system, are extremely advanced, have made many many cultural contrubutions to the world, and they work together very well with such precision. They also are very gallant fighters (not as much as the Finnish or the Polish though).
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old December 13, 2002, 02:36   #78
Hurricane
Warlord

Yes, Japan is not bad, but it's not so fun to talk about Japan since there aren't any Japanese members on this board. Or are there?
Old December 13, 2002, 02:44   #79
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Anodyne

Ha, don't try to embroider the truth. It IS really DAMN cold here... so what if we get some 4 months of heat, but it's quite effectively balanced with 4 months of semi-warm to quite cold and 4 months of helluva cold temperatures.
Tut, tut, tut. Not so fast, buddy. That's a biased opinion actually. There's much colder places than Finland and "4 months of helluva cold temperatures" isn't true. Occasionally we can even have up to around a few plus degress in December and e.g. now we have -8 in Tampere, which isn't "helluva cold" IMHO. If it would something like -20, then I would think it's very cold, but it still means that we don't have 4 months with extremely cold weather. The coldest days tend to be in January and February, so if we summarise them, I would say that in average we have a few weeks each year of very cold weather, not 4 months.

No, I'm not making things sound that much better, but this isn't the North pole or Verjkohansjk in Siberia.
Quote:
Seriously speaking though, our climate is sub-continental, with relatively warm summers (Average temperatures being similar to the English summer, without the moist and "milding" effects of the sea) and cold winters (Hm, can't really find a parallel... Alaska perhaps?)
Actually the parallel in North America is Canada for Finland.
Old December 13, 2002, 02:45   #80
Rasbelin
Emperor

The latest weather forecast for Finland. Just to show that how cold it's actually here.

Old December 13, 2002, 03:11   #81
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:10
When I saw that chart I first thought "damn, that's cold," then I thought, "wait, it's metric," then I couldn't figure out if it was cold or not, then I figured, "even in metric, negative is cold." So yeah, damn, that's cold.
Old December 13, 2002, 03:23   #82
Rasbelin
Emperor

-8 degrees Celsius cold? Jesus! You must live in Texas or somewhere warm.

P.S. -8 degrees Celsius is 17,6 degrees Fahrenheit, which can be calculated with the formula: (C x 9/5) + 32.
Old December 13, 2002, 03:47   #83
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 19:10
And you guys think that -20C is cold?
It's -30C, -33C during last two weeks, nice start of December this year. Hmmm...what will be here in February?
Old December 13, 2002, 04:40   #84
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I was in Novosibirsk in February, a few years ago. It was around -30C and supposed to be not very cold.
Old December 13, 2002, 04:47   #85
aaglo
King

In October it was frequently -15...-20 celsius in Helsinki... that was unusually cold start for the winter... brrr...
Old December 13, 2002, 05:13   #86
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Re: Re: Sorry, no hard feelings Euros
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Rasbelin

Now it's over 75%. Internet access is common and equally available to all for free in public bulidings (e.g. your libraries can only dream about that, unless the state you happen to live in has understood how important libraries are).
[QUOTE]

Sorry to tell you this, but our Libraries and public schools have free internet access as well.
Also we have netzero and juno, where you can get 10 hours of internet access a month for free.
Old December 13, 2002, 05:25   #87
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Also we have netzero and juno, where you can get 10 hours of internet access a month for free.
Yeay! Some Americans still pay for their Internet use per hour (e.g. AOL). Jesus! That was back in 1996/97, not 2002.

There's 3-4 for ISPs here that give you totally free dial-up and ISDN access 24/7, without any monthly limits or fees.
Old December 13, 2002, 08:27   #88
HAND
Warlord

Local Time: 12:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Seneca
Of course, the saving grace of the British is that we know we're sh!t.
Typical British modesty/pessimism! Not many people know we're the 4th largest economy in the world(After US, Japan and Germany)! We have the SAS/SBS too!

I hold Finland in the highest regard! The Winter War was a jolly good show!
Old December 13, 2002, 08:33   #89
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Serb, it looks liker Russia is getting so cold that the Farenheit scale gives the same numerical temperature as the Celsius one.
Old December 13, 2002, 09:06   #90
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 19:10
Almost