Old December 7, 2002, 03:32   #121
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 08:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Adopt and practice abstinence like a good Christian!
Notice my flag.
Old December 7, 2002, 06:34   #122
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 13:13
There's one short question and one short answer.

Why are only the worst British bands prominent in the US?

Because Americans buy them.
Old December 7, 2002, 06:39   #123
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Incidentally, two of the best new bands I've heard over the past year are Canadian- Guitaro and Sinewave. Check 'em out.

One other thing- Molly Bloom? Your tastes are impeccable. Seeing as 23 Skidoo are on the list, are you into the Current 93/Nurse With Wound/ World Serpent scene?
Old December 7, 2002, 06:52   #124
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

There are loads of great bands in Britain, they just aren't getting signed or getting any promotion or exposure. Our record companies prefer to promote foreign rock acts for some reason. It sucks.

We've got both kinds
Old December 7, 2002, 08:29   #125
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:13
You mean, like, Sonic Undermind? Yeah they're cool.
Old December 7, 2002, 09:37   #126
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Quote:
I like "odd". In moderate doses. I like the post-modern juxtaposition of two familiar elements. I like the avant-garde feeling of two pieces alomst, but not exactly, fitting together, creating unfamiliar harmonies and dissonances. I like the african-style polyrhythms that patchwork music like this, or most hip-hop, or most singnificantly Jamaican Dancehall are very able at conveying. Rhythmical complexity rocks.
Not only did I understand all of that but I agree too...
Care to offer a translation then? It would be more comprehensible in Greek methinks
Old December 7, 2002, 09:48   #127
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I do actually like this thread, the Americans stick up for British music, the British stick up for American music, and there is universal hatred of Canadian music

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 7, 2002, 10:01   #128
D@VE
Settler

Local Time: 06:13
Has anyone mentioned Rush ? 2112 has to be one of the greatests songs next to Stairway...
Old December 7, 2002, 14:23   #129
Kontiki
King

Quote:

Nickelback
Big Sugar (I don't think you'll know them, they're a very Canadian band and probably wouldn't be big in the US -- but they've got at least one song all about having "all hell for a basement" in Alberta )
Rhymes with Orange (Brand new band from black diamond, their first album is a huge hit here and they're releasing their Album under Sony Music in the US with a huge marketing push in 2003 sometime)
Jann Arden (I don't think she counts?)
Paul Brandt (Country)
Adam Greggory (Country)
Is that another Rhymes with Orange? There was a band by that name from Vancouver (although I'm pretty sure they spelled it 'Rymes') a while back - I even used to have one of their CDs. This was mid 90s.... They kind of dropped off the scene a few years back... I wonder if they are the same ones?

And BTW, Big Sugar aren't from Alberta.
Old December 7, 2002, 15:08   #130
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I do actually like this thread, the Americans stick up for British music, the British stick up for American music, and there is universal hatred of Canadian music

Hatred of Canada is something we can all agree on...
Old December 7, 2002, 16:39   #131
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 06:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Kontiki
Is that another Rhymes with Orange? There was a band by that name from Vancouver (although I'm pretty sure they spelled it 'Rymes') a while back - I even used to have one of their CDs. This was mid 90s.... They kind of dropped off the scene a few years back... I wonder if they are the same ones?
It might be -- I haven't seen their name spelled, just heard on the radio. They're always being billed as being from Black Diamond, AB though, maybe they just live in Vancouver now a la Nickelback?

Quote:
And BTW, Big Sugar aren't from Alberta.
They live out in Bearspaw...(just outside of Calgary)

The Moffatts also live in Calgary now.
Old December 8, 2002, 01:31   #132
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 22:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Incidentally, two of the best new bands I've heard over the past year are Canadian- Guitaro and Sinewave. Check 'em out.

One other thing- Molly Bloom? Your tastes are impeccable. Seeing as 23 Skidoo are on the list, are you into the Current 93/Nurse With Wound/ World Serpent scene?
Not really. I'm still hanging out for another Portishead/Massive Attack album- both way overdue. I'll make do with the Beth Gibbons solo/duet project. I had a phase, in my salad days, when I devoured Chakk, The Cabs, 23 Skiddoo (in pre-funkified and funkified phases) and Suicide and Throbbing Gristle, but I'm much more into rootsy/country/international flavours now. It comes and goes, though, and every so often we'll find ourselves driving down the Great Ocean Road with Suicide performing Cheree or Ghost Riders, or the Cabs playing Protection. Our playlist of c.d.s for the eclipse was rather diverse, as my partner's taste in music ain't like mine (although he used to be a punk- the only person I knew with a Slaughter and the Dogs live album)
but we both like Kosheen's latest album.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old December 8, 2002, 01:50   #133
Kontiki
King

Quote:

It might be -- I haven't seen their name spelled, just heard on the radio. They're always being billed as being from Black Diamond, AB though, maybe they just live in Vancouver now a la Nickelback?

They live out in Bearspaw...(just outside of Calgary)

The Moffatts also live in Calgary now.
Big Sugar may live there, but I wouldn't call them an Alberta band. They're from Ontario, IIRC. As for the Moffatts living there, that may be the most compelling reason to carpet bomb Calgary. I'm sure Victoria is breathing a sigh of relief
Old December 8, 2002, 18:08   #134
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

All you Yanks and Canadians out there who seem to be thinking you have got far better music than us Brits, its a shame for you you poor deluded individuals.

The British music industry is by far the greatest in the world!!, as a downside to this fact we also it has to be said, inflict the rest of you with some truly appalling shite. Already mentioned by others The Spice Girls etc etc.

Truth is good music exists everywhere especially in folk and blues, and where ever the big bucks music business industry usually sidelines in favour of one hit wonders that seem to go straight to no 1.

There are great bands and solo artists from all over and the UK has produced far more than its fair share since the beatles.

Other people have already posted lists but Id just like to mention ELO. A brilliant set up from Birmingham who were massive in the 70's and early 80's.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 11, 2002, 07:30   #135
Fve Crathva
Warlord

Local Time: 05:13
I like 54-40, they have some very catchy songs; I have a hard time with Our Lady Peace's lyrics, and I find their music to wear thin quicker than most; the Hip have made some great songs over the past couple of decades. Blue Rodeo and Moxy Fruvous (from whom not much has been heard recently) deserve a mention, too, and a lot of people like Sugakane, despite their name.