Old June 24, 2000, 23:22   #1
Thrawn
Settler

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Best Faction
I would just like to know what the general consensus is on say the 4 best factions in the entire game.
i think that the Hive is probably one of the best factions because of their SE choices that have no negatives. I know though that the Police State/planned will make enemies with everyone except the spartans and that is the only drawback i can see.
also the peacekeepers can be extremely powerful because of their size and the fact that they are more immune to drone riots.
Old June 25, 2000, 04:51   #2
Q_tip1976
Warlord

Local Time: 20:45
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Well I had never played the Beleivers or thought much of them until recently. But I just finished a trancend game with them and have never had an easier victory. That support bonus is sweet and as far as I can tell they build and fight well! After you build some infrastructure and get your economy going you don't even notice the research penalty. So for today (i.e until my next victory.) my vote is the Beleivers.
Old June 25, 2000, 08:17   #3
D4everman
Prince

I'm no expert, but I'd say its the University. I haven't played them in awhile because I find my victories to easy. Once I get them up and running I'm usually able to beat everyone else in tech and by mid game my victory is a foregone conclusion. (and usually my biggest nemesis is the Hive...I got bored with smashing them.)

D4

Old June 25, 2000, 08:51   #4
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 21:45
This thread is going to either:

A) Get lots of replies along the lines of "Hey! Ya! The Aenjulz cos they rulezz!!!!111!!1!1!!"
or
B) Get lots of replies directing you to the many many threads written on the benefits of each single separate faction.

Anyway, just in case is A:

The Hive, because they're strong enough to win most battles you'd care to wage. (So: guess I'm not an infrastructure player, then.)

By the way, how are you recovering from that knifewound to the chest?
[This message has been edited by Alinestra Covelia (edited June 25, 2000).]
Old June 25, 2000, 10:46   #5
joer
Prince

After reading this forum only for about 2-3 months, I come to the conclusion that the only consensus is that there is no consensus.

Everybody plays a different style, and it's probably possible to win which each style in SP, though the way to victory might be a totally different one for each faction.

From what I have seen, there is a point to make for every faction, and every faction has its followers. Even the universally scorned Cult has found it's believers by now, who swear that there is no easier way to get a big, tough army in the early game. To me, the diversity of equally successful strategies makes Alpha Centauri such a great game. There is simply no 'golden key'-strategy.

In MP, I variables such as settings, options, starting position and general playstyle of the other players can make a big difference in which is the best faction.

I still believe in the general rule that the earlier the war happens, the more it favors momentum-oriented factions. The longer peace is maintained, the more builders win. That, of course means that the the distance and terrain between two players is an extremely big factor.

All that being said...I tend to favor UoP and PK, where I think that PK are a bit better on Transcend level (because of their additional talent).

My position on the Hive still remains the same: Their practical inability to pop boom or get to +2 econ (without GA, which is hard for them to achieve) makes them pretty pathetic in the middle game. So if they don't get the chance of early conquest, they're helpless in the long run.

But, again, it is a question of personal style. I don't find it very satisfying to play a game with close to 100 techs and 50 special abilities and lots of interesting facilities that can be combined to get awesome effects only to restrict myself to conquering the world in 50 years with impact(X)-rovers.
-joer.
Old June 25, 2000, 11:55   #6
Adam_Smith
Prince

joer,

I think there is a concensus. Most people agree that the Caretakers are the best faction. Anything after that is still up for grabs. I think number two is between the Usurpers and the Drones. And number 3, 4 etc there is no consensus at all.

I'm trying to establish a concensus that the Drones are the most powerfull human faction. I, personally, am undefeated as them in at least 20 games. That surpasses my record with any other faction by far. I accept any challenge from any player playing any faction, except the Caretakers. I'm even accepting cahllenges from anyone who would take the Usurpers against me.

Last night I played a very good Hive player as the Drones and he gave up before the age of Airpower. I know he's good because he has already beat me once.
Old June 25, 2000, 13:07   #7
Adam_Smith
Prince

vee4473,

Single player experience is really not a substitute for multiplayer experience. I'm considering people with multiplayer experience only. Right now I have a lot of games going. I'm sorry if you take this the wrong way. If you want to get some multiplayer experience there are always PBEM games starting up, or you can start your own. You can also go to AlphaHQ.net.

If anybody would like to accept the Drone challenge please post at the multiplayer thread.
Old June 25, 2000, 16:27   #8
Ned
King

Local Time: 17:45
I find it surprising that the Alien factions are considered to be overpowered by most posters here and yet no one, to my memory, has chosen either faction is their favorite.

I do not play multiplayer; but are these factions exiled from MP? If not, I would assume everyone would choose them if they could.
Old June 25, 2000, 16:46   #9
Thrawn
Settler

Although the University is probably one of the best factions in the game, I don't find them particularly interesting to play. Basically you have to do is get your research up and you'll have such a big tech advantage that you'll be pounding them with tachyon weapons while they still have plasma armor.
I think the most interesting factions to play are the Gaians, Morgan, and possibly the believers. The Gaians can rule with mind worms and the xenoempathy dome, and the pholus mutagen, they will be unstoppable. The Morgans are interesting because they must choose other alternatives than all-out war. Free Market and wealth aren't particularly forgiving to war mongers.
It seems that most people think the alien factions are the best, i don't know because i haven't played them.
Old June 25, 2000, 18:29   #10
Q_tip1976
Warlord

I unsually don't even consider the aliens as playable factions (ther are good AI opponents though) so if we consider them the Caretakers are deffinately the most powerful faction. That +25% defence bonus can't be underestimated. I think it is more powerful than the attack bonus of the Usurpers.
Old June 25, 2000, 19:52   #11
Adam_Smith
Prince

Most people will not play multiplayer against the Caretakers. Actually, I know of no one who has beaten a human player that was the Caretakers.

Marr is another story. He can't pop boom easily, and he doesn't have the +25% defense.
[This message has been edited by Adam_Smith (edited June 25, 2000).]
Old June 26, 2000, 00:47   #12
vee4473
King

Hey there Adam,

I've never played a multiplayer game before, and, quite frankly, I don't know how to start one.

But, if you want, I would like to challenge you as the University.

Just explain to me how to start a game against you.
8-)

Happy playing!