Old December 7, 2002, 13:31   #1
musketeer
Settler

Local Time: 12:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
French Rulz
French/France

-commercial and Industrious capabilities are my styes.

-even though the french special unit the musketeer 3.4.1 is pretty useless, having commercial and industrial traits means that you get more gold and that means you can sometimes make your army of units bigger than your limit because you can support the excess units with the more gold you are getting from your cities.

-i have played as france half the time i have been playing civ 3 and ive won everytime i use french

-i have also tried every civ but i find it hard to control the Babylonians especially

Musketeer
Old December 8, 2002, 18:42   #2
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 13:14
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 9, 2002, 14:30   #3
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 07:14
The easyiest game was winning with the Babs on the Monarch level with 1.21f. (That was the last monarch level game I've played, the rest are Emperor)

As the French, I lost on Monarch level (with 1.19f), but more recently have won with them on Emperor level with 1.21f.
Old December 9, 2002, 16:40   #4
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Timing of GA is another great advantage for the French. I like them too. Plus, pink shows up well on the map!
Old December 10, 2002, 12:48   #5
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Who would ever wear pink clothes in a battle?
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 10, 2002, 14:54   #6
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

DF:

I guess the Musketeers are comfortable with their sexuality!
Old December 10, 2002, 15:07   #7
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

I don't think its sexuality so much as being a GIANT TARGET. And knowing the french they probably use glow-in-the-dark neon pink. So even at night they'll make an excellant target, heh. But I agree Industrial/Commercial is a nice combo. Though I prefer Carthage, never could quite bring myself to play the French.
Old December 10, 2002, 15:14   #8
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Brizey- maybe that's why they got their asses kicked so hard in WW2?

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 11, 2002, 01:44   #9
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
The easyiest game was winning with the Babs on the Monarch level with 1.21f. (That was the last monarch level game I've played, the rest are Emperor)

As the French, I lost on Monarch level (with 1.19f), but more recently have won with them on Emperor level with 1.21f.
probably because of the way commercial works...

and I agree. France isnt a bad civ, but with carthage being a better choice in PTW now... but still in vanilla civ, you still have to go for France and alsoif ur really paranoid about Early GA, then france might be better than carthage for you.

Forget everything. I just dont like france cause theyre pink. That can be easily modded without feeling guilty of cheating though...
Old December 11, 2002, 05:25   #10
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

The French are an excellent choice for a player, who focuses rather on building than warmongering. Although a few wars don't hurt them too. They especially shine on large and huge maps (commercial gives the more, the larger the map is) with either the 3 billion years setting (vast hills, mountains and plains) or warm+wet (lots of jungle), what favors industrious civs.

You just have to play them right. The following strategic hints are based on a huge/continents/emperor game. Expand like mad. Archer- or Swordsman-rush your neighbors, expand into their territory. Make sure you're the biggest dog on your continent. Settle down. That's the ancient age.

In the medieval age, don't fight wars, except may be one short with Knights+Musketeers to trigger your GA. Build some wonders and use prebuilds and your GA to get them. Build up your infrastructure and improve all terrain. In the early MA, send waves of suicide galleys to make as many contacts as you can. Tech gets cheaper and you can tech-broker between continents. This allows you to save $$ to rush buy universities and banks. After you finished the build-up, it's time to clean your continent (or neighboring area) of AI civs with a decisive Cavalry rush.

If you played right, you should enter the industrial age together with the other civs. But you should have 4 or 5 times as much territory as an average AI civ has. You should have an optimal P/FP axis. Your commercial trait helps a lot to keep your empire efficient. By now, you have done with wars. Don't wage intercontinental invasions, they bring you nothing. Trade. You are the king of commerce, not war. Build some wonders, and rush towards a space race victory. If you don't have the patience, a diplomatic or cultural victory will do too. The latter sound lame, but the game is basically over, because with your killer economy you should have about half an age tech lead by the end of the industrial age, and produce as much as a whole AI continent. So no need to continue an already won game.

Btw: There was no release 1.19f. Valid releases were 1.07f (initial), 1.16f, 1.17f, 1.21f and 1.29f (latest).

Last edited by Harovan; December 11, 2002 at 05:37.
Old December 11, 2002, 08:38   #11
aaglo
King

Local Time: 15:14
I don't like playing as french, because they are so easy to play with... or could it be that I have played with them only on easier levels...