Old December 10, 2002, 17:37   #31
habadacus
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I used to slam companies for releasing shoddy products, but I mean, WTF? its lose lose for them. Release the game buggy, they get crapped on, release the game late to fix ****, they get crapped on.

Um, I hate to state the obvious, but how about "Release the game when you say you would, without bugs". Is that just not an option for game companies? This game has been in development forever and has been pushed back and back and back. That's why people are complaining, and I sympathize with them. It's rediculous at this point, and seriously erodes my desire to be a fan of this series. I've been waiting patiently for a sequal since 98. You tell me it's gonna be out such and such a time, and fail to deliver once, I understand, twice, I get frustrated, past 3 times, I just stop caring. Maybe I'll see in in the bargain bin someday and pick it up. As far as running out and buying it the day it gets relesed, I'm over that now. Some bugs I can live with. This game is delayed not because of a meticulous attention to detail, but because the developers are apparently inept and understaffed. Let's face it no little bug is gonna make a game company miss Christmas.
habadacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2002, 18:06   #32
Don K Hotay
Warlord

Local Time: 07:14
Quote:
Originally posted by habadacus
I used to slam companies for releasing shoddy products, but I mean, WTF? its lose lose for them. Release the game buggy, they get crapped on, release the game late to fix ****, they get crapped on.

Um, I hate to state the obvious, but how about "Release the game when you say you would, without bugs". Is that just not an option for game companies? This game has been in development forever and has been pushed back and back and back. That's why people are complaining, and I sympathize with them. It's rediculous at this point, and seriously erodes my desire to be a fan of this series. I've been waiting patiently for a sequal since 98. You tell me it's gonna be out such and such a time, and fail to deliver once, I understand, twice, I get frustrated, past 3 times, I just stop caring. Maybe I'll see in in the bargain bin someday and pick it up. As far as running out and buying it the day it gets relesed, I'm over that now. Some bugs I can live with. This game is delayed not because of a meticulous attention to detail, but because the developers are apparently inept and understaffed. Let's face it no little bug is gonna make a game company miss Christmas.
well said. Can any of you QS cheerleaders possibly argue with such a to-the-point synopsis?
Don K Hotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2002, 18:13   #33
Kc7mxo
King

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm still interested in playing Moo3 (though I'm not sure if i'll like it), but i've stopped really caring. When it comes out i'll give it a go, but heck, its been pretty heavily delayed. First it was supposed to come out in march, then june, then august, then november, now january. Well, maybe it'll be out in time for next christmas.

I'm probably better off that they didnt' releas it though. I got loads of stuff to finish in the next coupla days.
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 04:31   #34
Gooberman32
Warlord

Local Time: 20:14
What's really getting to me is that we know nothing since the announcement that Dec 4 was'nt going to be met and since that we have only the dates the retailers set to speculate (a cook up grand conspiracies) on. And i sincerely hope that this delay isnt some corporate scam(by the way the tax saving thing, i still think they would have to pay next year). to say that QS is understaffed i understand but inept? From what im hearing inept programmers dont produce the game that the beta testers and previewers have been talking about. i may be be "cheerleading" but i too am getting a little bit impatient but what can you do?
Old December 11, 2002, 17:31   #35
Kc7mxo
King

Well, seems like getting banned is a popular way to spend time on the infogrames board.

Have you seen the post "Hurry and read this before it gets deleted"?

The thread was deleted before the first response got posted.

Its pretty funny actually. The barbarians are at the gates.
Old December 11, 2002, 20:56   #36
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:14
Quote:
Originally posted by PriestOfDiscord
Some people just want to complain for the sake of complaining, I think.

How dare you say that! I want to make a complaint about your evil, evil statement!

Actually, I think that statement is spot-on. People like to complain.

Quote:
Um, I hate to state the obvious, but how about "Release the game when you say you would, without bugs".
It is difficult to predict just how long a project will take, how much it will cost, just how many bugs will be introduced into the software and how long it will take to find and fix most of these (which is generally the best they can hope for). A single, specific bug may take 5 weeks to track down and fix, or it may take 5 minutes. There are millions of variables that need to be taken into consideration when estimating a year+ project, and it is little wonder that companies fail to predict well.
Old December 11, 2002, 21:15   #37
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Quote:
Um, I hate to state the obvious, but how about "Release the game when you say you would, without bugs".
It is difficult to predict just how long a project will take, how much it will cost, just how many bugs will be introduced into the software and how long it will take to find and fix most of these (which is generally the best they can hope for). A single, specific bug may take 5 weeks to track down and fix, or it may take 5 minutes. There are millions of variables that need to be taken into consideration when estimating a year+ project, and it is little wonder that companies fail to predict well.
Then the companies would be better of not announcing a release date until they are sure.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Tuberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 22:36   #38
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
Then the companies would be better of not announcing a release date until they are sure.
that. is most definetly. true.
Old December 12, 2002, 00:23   #39
Bird-O-Prey
Settler

Local Time: 12:14
Some of you act like there are problems with the game..
That there are bugs left to fix... Last I heard, the single player was rock solid, and the MP was being tested after bugs were swatted. Dont take my word, just have a look see at the BT's remarks on the IG forum.
Dont be mis-lead here guys.. This is a sham of some kind. According to most, if not all of the beta testers, and Rantz- the game is ready to go... IG, otoh is delaying it for other reasons.. What- I dont know... At least that is my take. Why? I have asked this myself...
It just makes no sense, but again- this game is NOT being delayed because of bugs, from what the BT's are saying...
Bird-O-Prey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 01:23   #40
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bird-O-Prey
It just makes no sense, but again- this game is NOT being delayed because of bugs, from what the BT's are saying...
From what I've read, I think that it is; just by hopefully non-existant bugs. IIRC, QS has said that they do a run-through of the game with every race meeting every victory condition, doing as weird and varied things as possible. Even with a large team of beta testers, that'll take a while; especially if they want to test large map sizes.
Old December 12, 2002, 08:40   #41
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:14
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.