Old December 7, 2002, 15:25   #1
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Local Time: 07:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This forum rocks
Well, I've spent a nostalgic day surfing the Civ3 Stories forum. My reaction: whoa.

This forum is awesome.

There have come and gone so many magnificent writers. Looking back only to the time when I first started reading the stories here, I can recall the "big guys" who posted so often and wrote such masterpieces. People like Hawaii Five-O, Grundel, Kramerman, and WTE-OzWolf haven't been back since the end of summer.

I also realized that it's been six months since I joined the forums - July 1st, 2002. Wow. That was a while ago. With nostalgia, I can remember the first post I made - in one of Grundel's last stories before he left. Maybe soon, if the forum picks up even more, and regains its former glory, the new posters will see the current posters as the "big guys" - ChrisiusMaximus, vovan, scratch, and all the others.

I revisited the greatest stories I've read - Chronicles of Imhotep, World at War, Epic Tale of Navalon, everything by OzWolf. The masterpieces. If only I had more drive, my own stories might equal theirs. My first story was driven - I knew where I was going, and it worked. I got there. And the "big guys" read it.

I don't know what I really gained from today's forum-surfing except an immense sense of pride that I was here to vote in the old story contest. And I have that sense of awe and wonder caused by reading the greatest Civ3 short stories ever written.
Old December 7, 2002, 15:31   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 13:15
You know Guitarist your stories are equally worthy of being in this place of talent. It was your first story that provided me some inspiration to have a go so although I agree that you are right in what you have said I think all the stuff here is special.

Special because its freely given for all who care to read to enjoy, that is the spirit of this forum.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 7, 2002, 17:38   #3
gooberboob
Civilization II PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMNever Ending Stories
Warlord

Local Time: 06:15
read some of cbraund's and metaliturtle's
Old December 7, 2002, 17:56   #4
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Oh of course, cbraund and Metaliturtle deserve mentioning as well, but I wasn't listing all the great authors I'd read - I was just giving a few examples. I really loved Metaliturtle's stuff - CGW had me in stitches.
Old December 7, 2002, 18:27   #5
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

long may this forum live!!
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; December 7, 2002 at 19:05.
Old December 7, 2002, 18:37   #6
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

You said it, i didn't.

I do agree this forum rules, if only some people can be a bit more friendly...

-Mellian
Old December 7, 2002, 19:38   #7
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Nice to see you poke your "queenly" head out of your AE hole every so often, Mellian. Just be wary of giant birds of prey swooping down upon you.
Old December 7, 2002, 20:18   #8
Mellian
Queen

Doesn't matter, i make sure i carry around my shotgun.

-Mellian
Old December 7, 2002, 23:35   #9
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 21:15
I hope that shotgun back-fires on that nasty fellow.

Guitarist, its ironic that you'd make a thread like this just as I was thinking this forum really isn't worth coming to anymore. My reasons are (1) I've had 7 pop-up ads so far on this visit (2) only one person bothered to read the last episode I wrote which took a good deal of time to cook up (3) the nes problem is getting out of hand and the nes writers have no interest whatsoever in our stories so the logic of why they hang out here escapes me (4) most of the writers on this forum have degraded themselves to nesers

Sayonara
Old December 8, 2002, 09:18   #10
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

...I remember the old stories...The Hunting Season...What willl you trade for iron(y)? (or something like that)...that cartoon strip Bored with Twenty Nukes in teh Arsenal...WTE_OzWolf's stories...cbraund's stories...and many many others...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old December 8, 2002, 13:04   #11
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Hmm... Maybe we should compile a list of the best stories somewhere, and top that thread? Of course, there is the "history of story competition" thread, but then there were a lot of great stories that didn't win a competition. Maybe we could somehow make a list of the best of the best all-time?
Spore page
Old December 8, 2002, 15:57   #12
gooberboob
Civilization II PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMNever Ending Stories
Warlord

that's been done vovansim, the truth is, there are more great stories than terrible ones, and some of the best stories on here were overshadowed by better ones during the same contest. Also, everybody has a different image of which is "best," like for me, the best story is the funniest, and CGW would win hands down, but for people who don't like funny stories, or would prefer more dramatic ones, then Cbraunds or WTE-Ozwolfs would be better.
Old December 8, 2002, 16:10   #13
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Ah yes, I remember alot of good old storys, and good new storys. Though I think my favorites are probably some of WTE-OzWolfs too.
Old December 8, 2002, 16:41   #14
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

My personal favourite was "The Cost Of War" by Oz, does any one know where he got to? Hes not posted here for ages.
Old December 8, 2002, 17:51   #15
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Local Time: 12:15
Does anyone know where all the great storytellers of the past went to? They just seemed to fall of the face of the world

(I mean in this forum)
Old December 8, 2002, 21:08   #16
gooberboob
Warlord

Metaliturtle just got lazy, I don't know about cbraund, but a word to those anti-nessers, when the nesses began, SKILORD, Metaliturtle, and cbraund were all very active participants and still wrote stories.
Old December 8, 2002, 21:18   #17
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

cbraund got overwhelmed with NESs at cfc and now spends almot all of his time playing ness there ...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old December 8, 2002, 21:40   #18
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Well, that was depressing.

There are still some really great writers here, though. But having the masters back would be like meeting your high school basketball legend again.
Old December 9, 2002, 00:38   #19
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

I'm new in this forum and I already love it!
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 9, 2002, 01:31   #20
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
cbraund got overwhelmed with NESs at cfc and now spends almot all of his time playing ness there ...
This is the problem I've been talking about. Once active writers are being corrupted by the nes's. If there were no nes's we'd have many more people writing proper stories which everyone could read. Don't you think that would be better? As for some people writing both nes's and stories, I've seen a decline in writing quality after people spent a long time involved in nes's. I'm just trying to say that for people who want to improve their writing skills, I think making stories by yourself is the best way to go.

While I'm in the mood for causing trouble, gooberpoober, don't mind me if I'm wrong, but I wonder if you are actually metalturtle with a new nick? Like I mean, metal hasn't shown hide nor hair here for the longest time and I know that he was taking writing classes too.

I better stop now before everyone gets
Old December 9, 2002, 01:51   #21
Mellian
Queen

one good reason this forum is dying because it forces the people to compete, which in turn creates annoying critics, where some seem to treat this forum as a 'holy ground' where people with lack of writing skills (or lack the time to spell and grammar check every single post and short stories, like myself) are treated like heretics. That not fun to many.

The NESes as been moved, so i don't know why your complaining still.

Nothing wrong with Multi-Author stories (like Apolyton Empire is), which welcomes anyone to join in, as long as they respect the rules (which is mainly code of behaviour then anything else).

-Mellian

Last edited by Mellian; December 9, 2002 at 01:59.
Old December 9, 2002, 13:46   #22
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Absolute nonsense! who on earth says this forum is dying is deluded beyond any known medical help. Their are currently over 12 excellent stories in progress and a further half dozen or so waiting to be voted on in the next competition.

As to whether the competition is a good thing I dont know, I personally dont think it matters but I know a lot of the writers find it an incentive and IMHO anything that encourages people to post their stories here is a good thing.

If anything this forum has had a revival since just before the nes's got moved after being fairly quiet over the summer and I would say its as active now as Ive seen it.

Anyone who spends as much time reading and commenting as I do will agree with me.

Mellian I suppose you refer to me in your above post as one of those who treat this forum as holy ground or something, well in a way your right I do. I have a true passion for this forum and thoroughly enjoy reading the stories here and in my time here the one thing Ive heard time and time again from the writers is PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK. IMHO its the one most important action anyone reading these stories should do, it helps the writer to improve his skill and it lets them know that people are enjoying their hard work.

I agree with you on the issue of spelling etc as it does not detract from a good story to much and I would not like to see anyone being offended by harsh criticism or unfair criticism, but constructive criticism is always going to benefit a writer and help him to improve. After all if you want people to read your story then you have to make readable at least!.

I dont see any evidence that anybody treats people like heretics for spelling etc what I do see is good stories written by people who really appreciate good feedback whether critical or in praise of their work. One of the biggest reasons for people to make errors I think is as you get writing you tend to get carried away yourself and start to rush.

Mellian I also see no evidence of you regulary giving your support to the writers here so what gives you the right to have a go at those of us who do care about this forum and those who write such excellent stories here.

And finally Mellian why have you polluted this thread with yet more arguments about your nes/democracy story AE, that has got absolutley nothing to do with this thread. Dont you remember you started your own special thread to do just that.

I really am sick and tired of your nonsense now please stop!
Old December 9, 2002, 14:20   #23
civman2000
Emperor

unscratchedfoot: Actually the NESs here don't. Our NESs are very different from cfc's, and we've avoided the problem they've encountered of having way too many and having them be too dominant.

Old December 9, 2002, 14:50   #24
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

civman I think that on the whole the nes's are ok and I see no reason why people should not take part in something they enjoy, but Scratch does have a point. The standard does seem to be lower than that of a story and as a side issue they are really only of interest to those who actually take part. Unlike a true story that everyone can enjoy.

Its a shame that the mods will not make a sub forum for them like the civfanatics have got.

Anyway civman isnt it about time that you wrote another story, its been a while and Id be pleased to see one.
Old December 9, 2002, 16:47   #25
TheGuitarist
Warlord

I'll stay out of the about NESs but I will certainly agree that this forum is by no means dying. There are plenty of excellent stories being writtten here - even with constant negative posting by disgruntled, self-centered hermits who throw a tantrum when somebody points out their bad manners.
Old December 9, 2002, 18:01   #26
Mellian
Queen

I'll stop, once you stop giving me good reasons to reply to ya.

if you haven't notice, i don't bother answering to some of your obvious insults and sillyness.

so not sure people continue to say i am the that needs to grow up

-Mellian

Last edited by Mellian; December 9, 2002 at 18:08.
Old December 9, 2002, 18:54   #27
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Go away Mellian Im really quite bored with you now!!
Old December 9, 2002, 21:02   #28
unscratchedfoot
Prince

I love all this mud-slinging. I guess I got my christmas present after all.

Now that this fight is sadly coming to an end, Chrisius why don't cook up a new story? It's been quite awhile since Mike's story was finished-up. You're next story will be even better now that you've had all this writing practice chewing out that irrascable melonhead. I'm sure it'll help for the parts about insult exchanges. Works for me I think too. I used to be quite poor at the art of insult dialogue but since I practiced trading cheapshots daily on the msn gaming chatline, I think I'm improving at it. I highly recommend this excellent training for anyone else who needs to work on their written defamation skills (mellian in particular could really use some polishing up).
Old December 9, 2002, 21:24   #29
Jeremy 2.0
Chieftain

I guess it's about time for my once every six months post.

I don't read much here lately, primarily because I can't bring myself to read huge text blocks with nary a space to be found. I know it's not the best of reasons but it's a huge pain in the ass for me to read these epics with no spacing. Maybe it's my newspaper background or a penchant for Hemingway but short paragraphs with a space in between is the only way to fly.

The last story I posted here was way back in Contest #3. It was so long ago that I lost my login info. Thus the 2.0.

I may not spend much time on here but not a day goes by that I don't work on one of the stories that Civ has inspired me to write.

I don't know about the NES question. I don't know for certain what an NES is. What I do know is that people from many nations, many backgrounds, and many levels of ability can come here to read or offer stories from a shared love.

You can't beat that, folks.
Old December 9, 2002, 22:43   #30
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Yo Jeremy 2.0 dude, if you're into like really short paragraphs, try reading "Bush's Christmas Adventure". I think the longest paragraph in it is like 2 or 3 sentences at most. I make it a habit to keep my paragraphs short because I know what it's like to read big blocks of text - tiring.

Mellian will probably disagree with this but that's just tough for him.