Old December 8, 2002, 00:05   #1
Finch
Settler

Local Time: 07:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
multi problem
i cannot go into internet, says i have to dialup in order to log on... well i have cable and im always online so wahts up wit this?
Old December 9, 2002, 16:14   #2
mkalthoff
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:17
what OS do you have?
Old December 9, 2002, 22:11   #3
Finch
Settler

XP, i have a router but that shouldnt make a diff since all the ports are open :-/
Old December 10, 2002, 04:37   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

XP and a router isnt a good combination for MP I take it you already downloaded the working servers.dat file just in case?
Old December 10, 2002, 15:49   #5
Finch
Settler

nope i havnt done that, will it work even if i cannot connect? i just press "internet" and it says i have to dial up
Old December 10, 2002, 16:09   #6
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:17
Franses had the same problem in CtP1 a while ago. Below is how he (eventually) solved it. Maybe this helps you too?

Quote:
Originally posted by Franses
We have good news. First we connected the Soho adapter to one of our Windows 98 machines. It did not immediately connect to the Internet so we defined in Internet Explorer/Internet options/LAN settings "Auto detect settings". After that the W98 machine connected to the Internet and........ YES, also to the CTP servers.

I than took a long shot and defined the same auto detect settings in XP. I remembered from installation that that had not been necessary to connect to the Internet. Indeed, the box was not checked. I checked it, started CTP and IT ALL WORKED.

Thanks to all of you who helped us out here. It gave us a warm feeling knowing that you were all thinking along with us and coming up again and again with new, good ideas.

So it looks we are back again

We only need to install a new servers.dat file because we only found the us1 server and could not get into the lobby. I assume however that that is a totally different problem. Thanks again, guys. Get frightened since we will crush you.
Old December 11, 2002, 15:55   #7
Finch
Settler

well, that worked... got me past that screen... but it said "connecting/waiting for servers" for about 2 minutes, so i quit and tried to get online and it wouldnt go online anymore... so anyone have any iideas now ?

thx for help neways
Old December 11, 2002, 17:59   #8
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Did you download the working servers.dat file? It sounds like your using the old one still.
Old December 12, 2002, 16:12   #9
Finch
Settler

no i have not, because if i just do "auto detect settings" my internet goes dead, so i cant even get to the servers when i have an active internet connectino because it says i need to dial up
Old December 12, 2002, 16:47   #10
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 14:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Finch
no i have not, because if i just do "auto detect settings" my internet goes dead, so i cant even get to the servers when i have an active internet connectino because it says i need to dial up
Your problem reminds me of a problem I had when I started connecting myself to the Internet through a software recommended by my former provider. I had to connect myself to the Internet with this software and then I could open Internet Explorer or Outlook Express. The problem was that IE and OE were configured to automatically connect to the Internet at the moment they were opened, my computer was then ordered to dial a new connection while one was already running.

The whole process resulted in a disconnection and the problem was solved after I disabled the "automatic connection" options.

I don't know if it can help you but I thought it could perhaps give you a hint.

Last edited by Tamerlin; December 12, 2002 at 19:28.
Old December 12, 2002, 19:07   #11
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 05:17
XP has problems with a lot of games because it lacks the DOS emulation mode that all other versions of windows had. My suggestion is to install a DOS partion on one of your hard drives and then run all your games that are more then one year old off of the partion.

I hope this helps.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 12, 2002, 21:20   #12
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 05:17
games can run in DOS??
Old December 13, 2002, 19:51   #13
Finch
Settler

thx, so XP just sucks for games it seems ohwell, maybe ill play hotseat with my dad and bro then... thx for tips