Old June 27, 2000, 10:15   #1
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Dual installation?
As a builder, I often like to play with Shining's mod, SNAC. However, I'm currently involved in a PBEM with a player who doesn't use SNAC, and it's too annoying having to swap the appropriate files round each time.

I was considering installing SMAC a second time, to a different location, bunging the SNAC files into that one and having one install for SMAC and one for SNAC. Anyone know of any reason why this wouldn't work before I try it?
Old June 27, 2000, 10:56   #2
JAMiAM
Prince

Local Time: 17:45
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Chowlett,

It shouldn't be a problem. I used to do the same thing with SMAC/SMACX. Just drop a shortcut to the desktop from each of the appropriate terran.exe (or terranx.exe) files that are in the root directories of the two versions that you will be using, and give them distinct names, to avoid confusion.

The only problem that I ever had using this method was the tendency of one of my pbem games to save into the wrong folder. I had my hard drive logically partitioned into a C and D drive. SMAC was installed in the default directory on the C drive. SMACX also installed in the default directory, but the path modified to the D drive.

Upon clicking on "turn complete" of this one particular pbem game of SMAC, it would save to the directory on the D drive. Where this caused me problems is that the alpha.ini file is then modified to show the "last saved game" to be in the wrong directory, and will search that directory the next time that you start the program. Since you cannot navigate out of SMAC from within the program, that makes it impossible to play from the appropriate version, without first editing the pathway in the alpha.ini file.

Hope this helps.
Old June 28, 2000, 00:29   #3
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Thanks Jam. I'm not planning on playing PBEM from SNAC, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll do it next time I have a chance.
Old June 30, 2000, 14:10   #4
joer
Prince

In case this post isn't too late yet:
I have done exactly what you propose, Chowlett. Copy the whole SMAC/X thingie into a new directory, unzip the SNAC mod and keep the two versions. No problem!

I actually like SNAC better as a SP (more balance+more building stuff; thus the AI tends to be more competative in my games), but everybody plays SMAC/X here in MP, so I gotta keep up in that as well.
-joer.
Old July 1, 2000, 11:49   #5
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Already done it, thanks. Approaching a "certain win" situation with the UoP at Thinker on the rich map. Quite incredibly, I've been at war with everyone EXCEPT the Hive for most of the game, despite sharing the Pholus Ridge continent with them. Have submissived the Peacekeepers, am looking to do likewise with the Believers (helped by the fact that Santiago took all bar their sea bases). Morgan for some reason seems scared of me, and Santiago, while powerful (holds all of the eastern continent), is technologically backwards.
[This message has been edited by Chowlett (edited July 01, 2000).]