Old December 23, 2002, 16:44   #61
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 08:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This genre of games has a long shelf-life and I would expect it to be viable in the market for the next couple of Christmases. Overall, sales probably won't be impacted too much.

That said, getting the $ now is always better than getting the $ tomorrow.

As a gamer, my whole MOO2 multiplayer experience was ruined by a crash that seems much like the one being described for MOO3. Because of this, I'm willing to wait.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
DanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2002, 18:06   #62
TheMaestro
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 07:20
That's the thing, this game is designed for a specific fan base at mind -- not all people love TBS, or even "space-games" check out NWN, it was obviously designed for a specific, but very loyal fan base -- the game was released, had some bugs -- but they couldn't find all the bugs with just 25 Beta testers, they found them all with 250,000 people who bought the game and said, "Hey -- this doesn't work."

Beta tests are good...but in the end, the biggest bugs will mostly be found by the people who by the game.
TheMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2002, 16:19   #63
Bill_in_PDX
Settler

Local Time: 04:20
Agreed, and I am not intending to flame when I point out that despite the hard work of many folks posting here; there is no way that a laundry list of problems will not be found and complained about in the first 24 hours of release of MOO3.

So before too many folks continue to knock Civ3, and gosh knows that PTW deserves to be knocked, I think it is better to hope that MOO3 will be supported as well as Civ3 was after release.
Bill_in_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 13:28   #64
KnightOwl
Settler

Local Time: 12:20

All the talk about the MP bug that I've heard of makes it sound like it hasn't been fixed yet. Meaning the testers don't have a working copy in their hands that resolves the problem. Considering that based on what was said on the official forums it takes 3? weeks to run full regression testing against a beta version does this mean we've got at least another 5 weeks (2 for the move from place 1 to place 2) ahead of us?

Or has the bug been 'probably' fixed but the testing that discovers it comes late in regression testing?

*crosses fingers for scenario #2*
KnightOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 15:09   #65
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

last i heard it was a late save game bug, which affected both mp and sp. is this ANOTHER bug?
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2002, 20:05   #66
vee4473
King

if they are waiting to solve an MP bug, then we will never see this game released