Old December 9, 2002, 19:39   #1
SK138
Warlord

Local Time: 07:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Artillery bombardment failed.
This happens to me all the time. The only way I can get a good, successful siege is when I have tons and tons of artillery units. Anyone else agree that they miss too much?
Old December 9, 2002, 19:51   #2
WarpStorm
King

You can tweak this in the editor, but first some understanding of how bombardment works.

When you decide to bombard a city it first decides what is going to be attacked, units (over 1 hit unless lethal), population (over 1), or structures. If it chooses one that doesn't exist (say it chose a unit and they were all at 1 hit), it is an automatic failure. After that it does the attack. If the attack misses this is a failure also. The default defense from bombardment for both population and structures is 16. Note that the ROF of the bombard determines how many attacks it gets a turn.
Old December 9, 2002, 19:57   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 05:21
... with 50% targeting of units, 25% each of targeting civvies or improvements.

Seiges are supposed to take awhile. That's why it is called a seige, especially with catapults and cannon, and even artillery against metroes.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 9, 2002, 21:52   #4
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:21
it was not uncommon in warfare for artillery to overshoot etc, or even undershoot, so this is quitie normal....i too was stunned the first time i missed, i was equally stunned when it only took i point of damage off the unit

but this is normal......with enough artillery from any era, you can wreak plenty of havoc
Old December 9, 2002, 22:16   #5
Willem
Emperor

Re: Artillery bombardment failed.
Quote:
Originally posted by SK138
This happens to me all the time. The only way I can get a good, successful siege is when I have tons and tons of artillery units. Anyone else agree that they miss too much?
If they hit more often, it would be to easy to conquer a city. A few turns to soften up the defenders then send in the Cavalry. Artillery in real life was never that overpowering.

You'll find too, that Artillery etc. is far more effective when attacking units in the open. The fact that troops in the city have all sorts of buildings etc. they can take cover in is bound to make a difference.
Old December 9, 2002, 23:16   #6
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 06:21
The thing is, when you attack a size 25 metro you should hit something. Think about firing an artillery shell at NYC (don't do this in RL please)...even if your aim is horrible you're gonna hit something.
Old December 9, 2002, 23:58   #7
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Sure, you'll hit something, but will you do alot of damage? In a size 25 metro 25 to 100 deaths from hitting an office building isn't big enough in Civ terms. You've got to blast a couple whole residential areas to get an effect, or hit the barracks, etc... Massing artillery is the best way to get results unless you want a long drawn out siege.
Old December 10, 2002, 00:16   #8
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
The thing is, when you attack a size 25 metro you should hit something. Think about firing an artillery shell at NYC (don't do this in RL please)...even if your aim is horrible you're gonna hit something.
Even with a steady barrage, how many shells do you think would just end up putting a pothole in a road somewhere, or blowing up some statue in a park? Sure you'll hit something, but will it be anything important?
Old December 10, 2002, 00:22   #9
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Carver, IRL when you get to the point of metropolises, you have lots of concrete (or reinforced concrete) buildings. When you make ruins of such buildings with direct hits, all you do is create MORE cover for troops, snipers, etc. That is why you send in the infantry and do house-to-house fighting. Bombing and indirect fire quickly get to the point of hindering rather than helping an attack. Direct fire weapons (using line of sight as opposed to coordinates) do better, but see next paragraph.

Sure, you can basically destroy all the buildings and make it unlivable for the population, but it just creates all the more bunkers for defenders; and all the streets end up being impassible due to all the rubble.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 10, 2002, 04:15   #10
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:21
Did you have this experience in PTW? I must say that I had a different experience sofar and was shocked by the damage inflicted by my artillery. It was succesfull 80% of the time especially on units and improvements in the field. Bombarding cities seem to have a lower chance to be successful but that to seemed far better than I was used to. Strange that you had the opposite experience.
Old December 11, 2002, 01:16   #11
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
German bombing campaign of London anyone?

also, your supposed to use alot of artillery. It makes sense to me, but even if it doesnt, for game balance sake you gotta make them miss alot. It would ridiculous if you have an unit that can damage units accurately without any penalty.
Old December 11, 2002, 09:10   #12
The Viceroy
Prince

Does anybody know if Deadly Bombardment is in PTW, as I can't seem to see it in the Editor anymore.. I miss it...
Old December 11, 2002, 10:48   #13
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy
Does anybody know if Deadly Bombardment is in PTW, as I can't seem to see it in the Editor anymore.. I miss it...
It's there! Maybe it's time you had your eyes checked.
Old December 12, 2002, 15:09   #14
The Viceroy
Prince

Ohh dear , really I'll give it another look ..
Old December 12, 2002, 15:24   #15
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 04:21
Yeah, lethal bombardment is still there. I probably make far too generous use of it, too. ;-)