Old December 9, 2002, 19:40   #1
Kajak
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The new patch doesn't work or does it?
The 2000/xp patch doesn't stop the mid game crash (i,e. the terran.exe crash back to the desk top when the action starts getting really heavy). It may allow the action to get a little more intense before it crashes since I don't have to be quite so careful in letting things stack up ( if your new to this very frustrating issue, I mean short build stacks, fast resolutions, no patrolling, no travel paths over the turn end, ect., can sometimes avoid it)

I may be getting a little paranoid, but imho and limited experience they seem to have tweaked the AI at least at the top two levels. I was getting so I could win by Trans (playing Zak) at the thinker level and do well, but with some difficulty, at the trans level, but since the 2000/xp patch I am getting my clock cleaned at every turn. I get harassed early and constantly, even if on an island then its worms, if on a large land mass it's three AI characters in full extortion mode, no trading. Perhaps I just was lucky before and this is normal. If normal, I have to admire those who can win at the top level. Could someone more expert than I (clearly a large group) check this out.

Old December 10, 2002, 20:48   #2
spartak
King

I think the midgame crash is an artifact of the no-cd crack as it didn't happen before I installed it. You can get round it by reloading the game and not moving the offending unit that causes the crash. Is there any other way round this?
Old December 11, 2002, 02:49   #3
Sikander
King

Local Time: 05:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Taz
I think the midgame crash is an artifact of the no-cd crack as it didn't happen before I installed it. You can get round it by reloading the game and not moving the offending unit that causes the crash. Is there any other way round this?
I have never had this problem. I've played SMAC / X on 3 different machines, on 95, 98 and XP, and have never used the crack, so you may be correct about this.
Old December 11, 2002, 08:17   #4
Clear Skies
Prince

Never mind that, why can't they fix the damn interceptor bug? Grr grr grr grr...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old December 11, 2002, 12:08   #5
Kajak
Chieftain

Could someone please give me particulars on what happens with the well referenced but not described interceptor bug? I'd like to figure out if it's the same as my special obcession,

A FAQ on the famous/infamous bugs would be useful. As well a one rounding up the xp problems.

What is a or the 'no-cd crack' ? I did a search, but only got a bunch of stuff where everybody knew what it was. Since I don't know what it is I doubt I've used it .
Old December 11, 2002, 12:38   #6
Major Guz
Warlord

Local Time: 13:21
I don't know what the interceptor bug is, but the no-cd crack is used so you can play SMACX without CD in the CD-player.
It's kinda annoying when the computer constantly harasses you to put your SMACX cd into the drive. So for that reason (only??) they made a nocd crack.
You can find it at places like www.megagames.com etc.