View Poll Results: Is Georgias new "death warrant" on abortions a good idea?
Yes 3 10.34%
No 23 79.31%
Only if it is done with a Bannana! 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 9, 2002, 20:11   #1
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 08:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Poll: Is Georgias new "death warrant" on abortions a good idea?
Taken from another board:

You can expect to see a lot more newly born babies in the trash bins if this passes. You have to get permission to abort a baby, yet you don't have to, to even get pregnant.

At what time in our society will you have to get permission to concieve a child? I'm guessing by 2010.

This just upsets me big time.

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=29919

Georgia legislators will introduce a bill early next month that refers to abortion as an ''execution'' and will require any mother seeking an abortion to go to court to obtain a death warrant.

''A mother would have to argue why the child should die and why her rights would take priority over the rights of the child,'' said Rep. Bobby Franklin, R-Marietta, who sponsored the legislation.

Once a mother filed for a death warrant, a guardian would be appointed to protect the rights of the unborn child. That guardian would be authorized to demand a jury trial in which the rights of the unborn child would be balanced against the rights of the mother seeking to have the ''execution'' performed.

I(anti abortion-except in the case of the mothers physical(not mental or economic, you can afford to skip that vacation) health, or rape) heavily support this!

The litigation and legal battle what would last at least nine months, PLUS the appeals, ensuring abortions never happen in Georgia!
Old December 9, 2002, 20:15   #2
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 07:21
It's a terrible idea, for the usual reasons.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old December 9, 2002, 20:20   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 06:21
Why don't they just ban it instead of wasting taxpayer's money tieing up courtsystems effectively banning it anyway?

Stupid, stupid religious conservatives.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:22   #4
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Abortion as a means of contraception is stupid.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:23   #5
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 12:21
Well, the first thing Georgia needs to do, it seems, is to medically establish if and when a fetus is a human.

But this idea in general strikes me as a bad idea.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:24   #6
Jaakko
King

Local Time: 14:21
seems to be a good way to describe Georgia's legislators.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:26   #7
King

David Floyd for President

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old December 9, 2002, 20:27   #8
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Im, I don't think that decision is up to Georgia, David.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:28   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:21
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Abortion as a means of contraception is stupid.
True, but forcing people to keep a child they don't want or can't afford is hardly intelligent.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:30   #10
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It will be struck down by the first Federal Court that hears a case on it. It's just a waste of Georgia taxpayer money.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 9, 2002, 20:30   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
True, but forcing people to keep a child they don't want or can't afford is hardly intelligent.
Not to mention passing a law which ties up the court systems and wastes taxpayers money...
Old December 9, 2002, 20:32   #12
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

The reason abortion is "popular" is the total lack of responsibility required.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:32   #13
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Im, I don't think that decision is up to Georgia, David.
Maybe not ultimately, but one would think that Georgia's lawmakers would at least attempt to find doctors to research it, because I would think that that fact has at least some bearing on abortion, right?
Old December 9, 2002, 20:33   #14
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

I would rather be an underprivleged and neglected child, then never have been born.....wouldnt you?
Old December 9, 2002, 20:34   #15
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Good point, but the question is, can the government require one to be responsible in this situation? IE, can the government regulate sex between consenting adults? Precedent says they can, of course, but reason, common sense, and individual rights say that it can't.

Although I agree that abortion should never be the first choice, and that people should be a lot more responsible when they decide to have sex.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:36   #16
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen
I would rather be an underprivleged and neglected child, then never have been born.....wouldnt you?
Very bad question.
Underprivledged and neglected children are far more likely to lead lives of crime, or perhaps even die from having horrible parents, etc.

It's very easy to say living is better than death, even if you're completely neglected and your parents cant afford to keep you. You end up being thrown in overcrowded foster homes with hundreds of delinquint kids...next thing you know we're all paying for a bunch of unwanted children who will probably end up doing nothing with their lives since they were never given the chance they deserved.

When a parent goes for an abortion, the kid is screwed either way. He's going to be born into a hellish life as an unwanted/neglected child, or he'll just not be born at all.

It's not a black&white issue.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:36   #17
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

No, that's not the question.
You're answering a hypothetical pipe-dream proposed within this thread.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:38   #18
David Floyd
Emperor

Certainly that's the question. The issue of government interference in one's private life is the crux of the issue.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:39   #19
Sultan Bhargash
Settler

This is disgusting.

To think Georgia is a state that had computers hacked to fraudelent diselect the democrat.

I'd like to impregnate every man in Georgia who goes along with this idea.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:39   #20
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
You can't miss what you never had. If we extend your argument, we do an injustice to all the children we never create. All those wasted sperm and eggs down the toilet an into tissues, when they could have been experiencing life as a human being? Non-sentient tissue has no rights, and has no consciousness to be upset at the lack of a future.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 9, 2002, 20:39   #21
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Very bad question.
Underprivledged and neglected children are far more likely to lead lives of crime, or perhaps even die from having horrible parents, etc.

It's very easy to say living is better than death, even if you're completely neglected and your parents cant afford to keep you. You end up being thrown in overcrowded foster homes with hundreds of delinquint kids...next thing you know we're all paying for a bunch of unwanted children who will probably end up doing nothing with their lives since they were never given the chance they deserved.

It's not a black&white issue.

I had a horrible upbringing. My parents were abusive, and I was pretty much treated like complete trash(needless to say I no longer have any contact with my parents). They proboably would of aborted me if they could afford it and I was obviously not wanted-I was a mistake. Since I was in that situation, and had a really crappy child hood I think I can say, on good authority I am very glad I am alive now, and living a better life-even though my childhood was hell. Im currently a student at NYU on a full scholarship for computer science-I think im making something of my life.

My existance is the result of chance(proboably one of the reasons I am so against abortion).
Old December 9, 2002, 20:41   #22
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
And yet we should trust these people who have already shown themsevles to be irresponsible (in your words) with raising a child? Seems like a bad idea to me.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:41   #23
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

"can the government regulate sex between consenting adults"

Notta to do with abortions.
Gays rarely conceive.

Last edited by SlowwHand; December 9, 2002 at 20:47.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:45   #24
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Im currently a student at NYU on a full scholarship for computer science-I think im making something of my life.
And yet, if you had never existed, you wouldn't be upset but what you are missing. You would have been destroyed before you even had the ability to feel, let alone think.

An alternative reality in which I don't exist doesn't bother me. It's a silly thought.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:49   #25
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

And yet, if you had never existed, you wouldn't be upset but what you are missing. You would have been destroyed before you even had the ability to feel, let alone think.

An alternative reality in which I don't exist doesn't bother me. It's a silly thought.
It is possible that I would have never existed, and thus not been upset-HOWEVER I do exist, and looking back I would be very upset if I did not.

I dont plan to do anything monumentous in world events(Im going for 3d graphics heh), but what if some day I save someones life, or find a cure for AIDS? My never being born will of negated any positive impact I leave on the world in my life.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:51   #26
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 13:21
can't they just go execute their babies in another state anyway
Old December 9, 2002, 20:52   #27
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
It is possible that I would have never existed, and thus not been upset-HOWEVER I do exist, and looking back I would be very upset if I did not.
You do realize that's quite possibly the most nonesensical statement there is. It's along the lines of the old joke:

1: I'm sure glad I hate olives?

2: Oh, why?

1: Because if I liked olives, I'd eat a lot of them.

2: Why's that a problem?

1: Because I hate olives.

Old December 9, 2002, 20:53   #28
King

Aside from the 'when is a fetus a person?' question;

AND aside from the unfairness of forcing people to care for another person (if a fetus is a person) against their will;

There's also the plain truth that women will either go across the border, or up the coast, to a state with better laws, if this law is passed. And if they can't do that, they'll have it done illegally and at great risk.

You can't put the genie back into the bottle on this one. Abortion is here to stay, like it or not.

Old December 9, 2002, 20:54   #29
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

You do realize that's quite possibly the most nonesensical statement there is. It's along the lines of the old joke:

1: I'm sure glad I hate olives?

2: Oh, why?

1: Because if I liked olives, I'd eat a lot of them.

2: Why's that a problem?

1: Because I hate olives.

I feel......like an idiot. I pride myself on being analytical and good at discusions/arguing-I cannot believe I just posted that.....must be because im sick heh.
Old December 9, 2002, 20:55   #30
Ned
King

Local Time: 04:21
The government should stay out of the issue of abortions. This is a private matter.