Old December 10, 2002, 07:57   #1
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 08:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
2 quick (maybe dumb) questions
1) The AI gets to talk with me when our trade agreements expire in order to renegotiate or, alternatively, can say nothing and let the agreement roll over. But I can't figure out how to talk to the AI about existing agreements, or even how to figure out when they expire. How do I do that?

2) In the little white box in the lower-right corner of the main screen, 3 numbers appear next to you civ name and government, e.g. "Greek Republic 5.4.1" -- what do the numbers mean?

TIA
Old December 10, 2002, 08:19   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 13:22
1) Go to the Diplo screen, look at the bottom of the dialog box and switch from "New" to "Active".

2) 5.4.1 means 50% taxes, 40% science and 10% luxuries.
Old December 10, 2002, 08:21   #3
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

1) Somewhere in games options you can turn on 'always renegotiate trade deals'.
Old December 10, 2002, 09:07   #4
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 08:22
Thank you very much.
Old December 10, 2002, 09:32   #5
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Re: 2 quick (maybe dumb) questions
Quote:
Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
1) The AI gets to talk with me when our trade agreements expire in order to renegotiate or, alternatively, can say nothing and let the agreement roll over. But I can't figure out how to talk to the AI about existing agreements, or even how to figure out when they expire. How do I do that?
When you get to the screen for arranging trades (when talking to another rube - I mean, leader), at the bottom you can see 'new' and 'active'. Click on active to see trades (including peace deals and other treaties) that are currently in effect. Some will have a number in brackets next to them, e.g. (13), which is the number of turns left to go until the deal expires. After 20 turns, the deals can be cancelled at will by either party. You can re-negotiate peace deals with weaker civs this way to extort money out of them.

One occasionally important fact is what happens when there is (1) turn left. When you press space to end that turn, nothing exciting happens (and the trade is now shown without any numbers next to it, showing that it can be renegotiated). Even if the AI wants to cancel the deal, you have this turn where it can be renegotiated. If you wait, and press space again, the AI will usually get in touch with you to cancel the deal (unless it wants to keep it going). This is important when you are buying luxuries in exchange for techs, or cash lump sums (or gold per turn, when your empire expands significantly). If you don't renegotiate in your 1 turn window, the AI will call you and cancel the deal without a chance to arrange something else at the time - and a few of your cities may go into disorder for a turn before you can activate a new deal. It can be rather annoying (and occasionally lose you a wonder if you are not careful).