View Poll Results: Which unit is the Civ III Jackpot?
Horsemen 3 3.61%
Swordsmen 3 3.61%
Knight's 4 4.82%
Cavalry 32 38.55%
Infantry 2 2.41%
Tanks 13 15.66%
Modern Armor 19 22.89%
Tactical Nuke's 1 1.20%
ICBM's 6 7.23%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 13, 2002, 21:31   #31
King_Henry
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Maybe the mention of the catapult was useless, but I did have a use for it. I used it as bait to lure out my opponnents units. And I got the guy back every time.
Old December 14, 2002, 01:51   #32
badams52
King

Local Time: 04:23
Used your catapult to draw out the AIs offensive units. I find that the AI won't use his defense to take catapults or workers. So instead of killing the AIs weak-defending offensive units inside the cities, you draw them out. Interesting.
Old December 14, 2002, 01:58   #33
badams52
King

I'd say cavalry, but I always hate having 30-40 cavs left over once tanks roll out. That's when my cavs become improvement rushers.
Old December 14, 2002, 03:10   #34
Pyrodrew
Prince

Cavalry. Not only for Cavalry's speed of 3 which is huge, but because when Cavalry appears that make them even more powerful...

Railroads (zip zoom tidal wave)
Factories (quicker and more and more)
Mobilization (yikes!)
Democracy/Commun. (which ever you prefer)
Old December 14, 2002, 19:40   #35
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
Doh! I forgot about musketmen - that's a defense of 4. Still, 6:4 is a pretty good attack ratio for the cavalry, and they can retreat which makes it better than Swordsmen/Spearmen (3:2).
But with Cavs you'll often you'll be attacking cities, lessening the offensive advantage.

I've said it before: Swordsmen, upgraded en masse and in sufficient number, are effectively unstoppable. Played in an extreme manner, the game is over before it even gets going (but that's just not fun).
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old December 14, 2002, 19:45   #36
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 14:23
hi ,

we really are peacefull , no-one talks about the nuke's , ......

those tacs are great with a range of eight , so are cruise rockets , ......

always fun to "switch" the changes of the terrain off , ....

and watch those cities die slowly under the pollution , ..... or see the frantic efforts of the AI to clean it up , ......

have a nice day
Old December 18, 2002, 22:54   #37
Mad Bomber
King

i think that the Cavalry is the unit that wins the game, the later units are for mopping up. If you can't get an up in the cavalry phase of the game, it becomes an uphill battle the rest of the way.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 18, 2002, 23:20   #38
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:23
It depends on the difficulty level

On warlord I could easily win the game with horseman. Horseman is the first fast unit (aside from uu's). Fast units are very deadly.
Old December 19, 2002, 04:41   #39
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 13:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
i think that the Cavalry is the unit that wins the game, the later units are for mopping up. If you can't get an up in the cavalry phase of the game, it becomes an uphill battle the rest of the way.
Well that is not quite true. If by the time cavalry is the best attacking unit and you miss on it because of lack of tech, and you later on catch up, you can then use modern armour to set things straight!

The modern armour rules! But if you're up against mech.inf. it will still be a matter of greater numbers...
But that goes for all units.....
Old December 19, 2002, 07:46   #40
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 13:23
A lot of knights can be had very early on through upgrades.......this is the first unit that is overpowered against the comp.
Old December 19, 2002, 19:16   #41
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Local Time: 07:23
I think any 3-movement unit, where cav or any of the UU's can be a game breaker. These units allow to to attack most cities directly without worrying about counterattack before reaching the city. The extra movement also allows you to set up your invasion quicker and means you need less units to defend your empire.
Old December 20, 2002, 05:08   #42
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:23
[edited: i didn't read the post exact enough, sorry]
Old December 20, 2002, 06:18   #43
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CiverDan
I think any 3-movement unit, where cav or any of the UU's can be a game breaker. These units allow to to attack most cities directly without worrying about counterattack before reaching the city. The extra movement also allows you to set up your invasion quicker and means you need less units to defend your empire.
True enough, but cavalry is the first 3 move unit which is what makes them so effective, you can easliy sack five or six cities per turn with them. With MA you will be running into MI's usuallly in metros. While they will win eventually the casulties are too high without bombardment before hand. This slows the attack considerably. Also by the time of MA's the game is usually won, any warfare after tanks is usually a mop up operation. the cavalry phase is usually the timeframe where I start to dominate, this continues into the transititory period of tanks and flight. It is rare that meaningful warfare (warfare in which the outcome is not already determined) is seen in the modern age
Old December 20, 2002, 14:43   #44
Redstar
Warlord

Local Time: 12:23
you sure you guys aren't talking about about tech leads rather than game breaking units?

on an even tech level by the time you have cavalry you also have rifleman. I have found that the rifleman wins more than the cav.

On an even tech level...the modern tank is the MOST powerful unit...(still not long after mts come tactical nukes,,,
just 3 of them can usually wipe out a 100 stack of anything).

those samurai are VERY scary indeed!
Old December 20, 2002, 17:07   #45
Pyrodrew
Prince

Redstar - I made a similar comment, but along different lines.
I can wipe out opponents with the same tech level (riflemen defense) fastest with Cavalry. No tech lead, it is the tech innovations. With roads, 30 cities make 30 units which take some time to assemble. With railroads, you have 30 units able to attack a city that turn. Factories and a better government allow for mass production & more units. In fact if they have the same tech level it is sometimes easier as the pre-built railroads in cities I conquer to allow me to dive in deeper faster. This might be 1 reason we have seen some mod designers drop Cavalry's speed to 2 & leave tanks alone. Tanks are stronger, but so slow they are stuck sitting in enemy territory vulnerable to attack & causing war weariness.
Old December 20, 2002, 17:48   #46
wilbill
Warlord

I selected cavalry - and I'm sure it's leading the poll because it's a strong offensive unit that comes at the end of a fairly long period of time in which defensive units dominate the scene.

PTW, however, gives us the Medieval Infantry which, used properly and in quantity, can turn the Middle Ages into a real bloodbath. I've become a real fan of MI - and the Japanese with Samurai and MI coming into play at about the same time can really steamroll its way the previously uneventful Middle Ages.
Old December 20, 2002, 18:27   #47
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by wilbill
I selected cavalry - and I'm sure it's leading the poll because it's a strong offensive unit that comes at the end of a fairly long period of time in which defensive units dominate the scene.

PTW, however, gives us the Medieval Infantry which, used properly and in quantity, can turn the Middle Ages into a real bloodbath. I've become a real fan of MI - and the Japanese with Samurai and MI coming into play at about the same time can really steamroll its way the previously uneventful Middle Ages.
Ot- can we please use another abbreviation for Mideival infantry, Mi is already used for Mechanized infantry, and this will get confusing. I suggest MEI or something similar.