Old December 10, 2002, 20:35   #1
spartak
King

Local Time: 12:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is it time to merge some of the AC forums?
I have noticed a bit of a drop over recent months and Ac Creation and AC Fiction seem to be dying on their feet. AC general is also starting to flag somewhat.

Would merging the three forums give it all a kickstart? Does the low traffic over the three forums justify separate forums anymore?

Just a though. What do others think?
Old December 10, 2002, 23:27   #2
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 07:24
Hell, NO!
Old December 11, 2002, 03:00   #3
VJ
King

Fiction will be alive soon, considering that Kassi is back. AC Creation OTOH, is indeed... eh.
Old December 11, 2002, 04:18   #4
spartak
King

There have been no posts in eiother forum in thelast two days. I suspect most people just visit AC General and merging the othe rtwo forums might add a bit of extra interest going on all three....
Old December 11, 2002, 05:45   #5
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 08:24
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
I look at Creation every time I come, specifically looking (hoping ) for other players' new ideas (factions, alpha.txt mods, etc.), and I like it being separate. I've never visited Fiction.

The Creation and Fiction forums are slower because it takes more time to develop the content. I like being able to, for example, post a custom faction in Creation, where it will sit prettily on the first page of the list, and any who venture there will look at it (or not) and comment on it (or not). It takes time for people who like to test such things to do so and return with their or .

Even at its (comfortably) slow current pace, in "General" such a post would disappear too quickly. The thread would be 2-3 pages down before then.

Keeping them separate makes it very much easier to perform Searches, too, as posts and threads don't disappear forever so soon.

I like to think of the forums as a convention site, with "AC-General/Help/Strategy" as a large "Common Room", but "Creation", "Fiction", and "Multiplaying" - and the new "Democracy Game" - as smaller side-rooms for more specific discussions.

My 2¢.
~willy~
Putting the finishing touches on the presentation of a custom faction, for posting in AC-Creation.
Old December 11, 2002, 06:21   #6
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 22:24
What he said.

Seriously, when I ran into it, I thought AC-Fiction was a dream. The game was so complex, and the backstory practically invited players to write their own stories and fill in the gaps. The forum has slowed down, but the dream walks.
Old December 11, 2002, 08:13   #7
Clear Skies
Prince

The Fiction forum isn't dying on its feet, it simply only has the two threads in it Lack of diveristy doesn't necessarily mean lack of traffic...
I admit, though, that having a forum only for the BAC seems a little weird. Maybe we need to lead a fiction recruitment drive - get everyone off fanfiction.net over here. I mgiht start writing some more myself too...if I ever find the time.
*exits muttering curses and imprecations against Oxford interviews and A-levels*
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old December 11, 2002, 19:30   #8
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 09:24
the MP forum seems pretty active, but merging creation and fiction would seem like a better idea. creation is dead, and fiction is just slow because it takes so long to write things.
Old December 12, 2002, 02:20   #9
VJ
King

Words of wisdom, TKG.
Old December 12, 2002, 06:45   #10
Alex
Emperor

Yes, creation and fiction could be merged, but not General.
Old December 12, 2002, 19:12   #11
spartak
King

Are we agreed on the amended suggestion then?

Perhaps I could post a poll.

Views?
Old December 12, 2002, 21:08   #12
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

why a poll? to quote mark and ming:
Quote:
THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY.
it is a private site, so mark will just do whatever the hell he wants regarless of what we mortals think

maybe we should just PM him instead
Old December 13, 2002, 10:40   #13
Clear Skies
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
why a poll? to quote mark and ming:
Quote:
THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY.
True, but if we have a poll showing public support for such an issue, perhaps the mods are likely to be more kindly disposed towards our viewpoint. We may not have the power, but at least we can have some influence. All told, it's better than nothing.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Last edited by Clear Skies; December 13, 2002 at 16:37.
Old December 13, 2002, 11:49   #14
VJ
King

Yeah, I would think that a poll might be in order. MarkG is trying to make this site the
best he can. A poll could be a good guideline, would be help when pondering the question.
Old December 14, 2002, 02:48   #15
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 22:24
I could see merging Creation and General; merging Creation and Fiction is a little odd from a content point of view.

Quote:
The Fiction forum isn't dying on its feet, it simply only has the two threads in it
Why don't we get BAC its own sub-forum?
Old December 14, 2002, 05:17   #16
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

There is definitely an argument for leaving well enough alone.
Old December 14, 2002, 15:09   #17
spartak
King

I'll post a poll. For good measure, I should probably post pointers in Fiction and Creation as well. Watch this space...
Old December 14, 2002, 15:25   #18
spartak
King

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=70919
Old December 14, 2002, 19:02   #19
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Why don't we get BAC its own sub-forum?
Yeah, why not?
Old December 14, 2002, 19:22   #20
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 14:24
me thinks that creation could be merged with general, but those other 3 need their seperate forums.
Old December 14, 2002, 20:54   #21
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

When I first saw the suggestion I thought HELL NO.

I havent been to the creation forum in a long time so maybe im not the one to comment on that. The fiction forum isnt as active as the general forum but it has a kind of unique flavor to it and it would be difficult to wade through general threads to find the Story threads. There are some wonderful old stories in the AC Fiction forum that have long since dropped past the veil of 5 days. If you have not I highly suggest you go through there and have your page show all the threads since the beginning and start reading. There are numerous stories by authors that are no longer here(or are just lurking) that would blow your socks off. My particular favorite gem is Santiago Clause describing all the things children get from each faction. Lots of other multi author stories that i wished would have been finished. And smaller single author stories. I would just hate to lose all that and have them combined in the twisted wreckage of "drone problem" threads or "how do I wage war" threads so common in the general forum. Not that there is anything wrong with those questions, but it would really make it difficult to find the good stories in the AC fiction forum. I would vote no for combing the fiction forum with anything and to be honest, just leave it the way it is. Of course if the gods of poly think otherwise we just have to live with it. I am merely a lowly thread god.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 14, 2002, 20:58   #22
Method
Emperor

well yes, we can't have fiction and general together....we can't have Joe dropping off the first page, now can we?
Old December 15, 2002, 13:33   #23
Clear Skies
Prince

I'm swinging round to the creation-general merging idea...some people post new creations in here anyway just because creation is so slow.
Old December 15, 2002, 18:40   #24
spartak
King

Did you vote in the Poll Clear Skies?