Old December 11, 2002, 10:46   #1
finfahey
Settler

Local Time: 12:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
World Report
Hi guys...

This is my first try at posting on this forum so hope it doesn't look too crap.

Just caught this link:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=3

Yup, that's my good old CTP1 World Report (and I'm warmed by the commendation from Locutus).

Have been away from modding for a good long while (actually I think that's the only SLIC mod I've submitted), but I've been looking at the truly amazing stuff that people have been doing, and I can feel my enthusiasm returning.

I particularly like the threads on how to add the best Civ3 features. Strategic resources/Cultural boundaries - yeah!

So (unless someone's already done it) will see what I can do on the CTP2 World Report front.

Incidentally, I like the idea of getting back more data than the default stuff, but it is potentially useful info to the human player, so should only be used at harder levels.

Am working on a very silly mod right now - just civlists/graphics, to get in the mood. But will dive in shortly.
Old December 11, 2002, 12:35   #2
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 13:25
Not sure if youve read this already but i took a particular liking to your World Report too and was suggesting a CtP2 convert here

Quote:
I particularly like the threads on how to add the best Civ3 features. Strategic resources/Cultural boundaries - yeah!
When these things are finished and implemented a world report would be even more useful eg. amount of certain resources left when strategic resources have been implemented and amount of culture your civ has or something

Quote:
Incidentally, I like the idea of getting back more data than the default stuff, but it is potentially useful info to the human player, so should only be used at harder levels.
So do I i hope you do, do a conversion :P

Quote:
Am working on a very silly mod right now - just civlists/graphics, to get in the mood. But will dive in shortly.
Cant wait and Good Luck

-James
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old December 11, 2002, 14:07   #3
ískallin
Call to Power II Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This will be interesting
Good luck

---Kári---
Old December 11, 2002, 16:32   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 13:25
Wow! Hi Fin! It's good to see you back again.

World report was great in CtP1. First SLIC mod I used I think. It'd be great to see it in CtP2.
Old December 11, 2002, 18:51   #5
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:25
Woohaa! Long time no see, Fin. Good to have you back!

Quote:
actually I think that's the only SLIC mod I've submitted
Now, now, don't forget about the Land Bureau mod (or whatever it was called)

Looking forward to any new stuff you can put out
Old December 11, 2002, 19:25   #6
finfahey
Settler

Hi Locutus...

Quote:
Now, now, don't forget about the Land Bureau mod (or whatever it was called)
Oh, yeah - I'd forgotten I submitted that. Changed PCs in the meantime so I'll have to find out where I put it - might have to download it from Apolyton even

In fact that SLIC relates to what someone (Martin?) was mentioning in the strategic resources thread - using something like the US Geological Survey to find and fix strategic resources. In Civ3, of course, they're hidden there from the start (and the AI cheats about that, too), but in this case you never know what you'll get and where you'll get it.

I think that some resources should be made very very unlikely to turn up, so that you get that Civ3 feel of having to fight for them. And they could depend on how much terrain of a certain type you hold, so you'll want to grab a diverse range of terrain. (As someone pointed out, not historical, but fun - trouble is, how can the AI play to this point - hmm, have to think this through).

Anyway, apart from the civlist, do have a half-finished SLIC I'll punt up shortly for comments - just as soon as I check that it won't break anyone's machine
Old December 11, 2002, 20:17   #7
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:25
Check this out.

What do you think?
-Jean Rostand
Old December 11, 2002, 21:19   #8
finfahey
Settler

Awesome stuff, Pedrunn. There are almost too many ideas in that thread to assimilate in a hurry (true of this forum in general, I think).

I like your general ideas on resources - very ambitious project How far along are you in implementing them?

I slightly worry that some of the concepts may involve extra micromanagement - for example, I really love the idea someone had of converting primary goods to value-added secondary products (say, tobacco to cigars) - but it's harder to visualise how this would work on-screen without getting really fiddly. (The Civ3 thing works on the simple basis of 'you haven't got it, you can't build it', plus the road/trade thing for luxuries.)

My other thought was about resource depletion. It makes sense to deplete oil or any finite resource, but a fair few of the resources mentioned are theoretically renewable. Farming is, I guess, complicated because, although it is renewable, if bad farming practices are adopted, then the land gets 'used up'. And then there's fishing...

I guess my point is that food resources don't get used up in quite the same way that ores etc do. Remedies?:

1) if you choose to reduce your food surplus - not grow your cities so fast, you don't work the land so much, so depletion rate drops (potentially to zero).

2) Preserving or planting forests (eco-solution) reduces depletion rate.

3) ADVANCE_ARTIFICIAL_FERTILISER (but this in turn depletes other resources)

How does it make sense to include cereal as a good, too? If it is, what are people growing on all those farm improvement tiles? Seems to me that starchy foods (historically, mainly cereal and potatoes) are too everyday to make special goods - note even in Civ3, you can't actually trade that wheat.

And someone mentioned solar energy. Energy is an issue, but not, so far, a central concept for CTP2 (and in SMAC it just stands in for money). With, for example, economic dependence on fossil fuel, possibly traded in from elsewhere, we'd have a game impetus to develop solar power or fusion reactors - sounds familiar

Just some random thoughts...
Old December 13, 2002, 13:04   #9
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 14:25
Quote:
Originally posted by finfahey
I think that some resources should be made very very unlikely to turn up, so that you get that Civ3 feel of having to fight for them. And they could depend on how much terrain of a certain type you hold, so you'll want to grab a diverse range of terrain. (As someone pointed out, not historical, but fun - trouble is, how can the AI play to this point - hmm, have to think this through).
Actual you could favour the AI in respect of the Good distribution if there is an AI city a good will appear with higher prbability then it would appear if the city would be owned by the human. So making it in this way it would look the AI cheats.

-Martin