Old December 11, 2002, 20:36   #1
vee4473
King

Local Time: 07:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My theory about MP and where game companies are mistaken
Hey,

As you read this, keep in mind that I have NEVER played an MP game of Civ etc...

I think that it boils down to game TBS companies thinking that they MUST include MP because of the WILD success of RTS MP.

But, and please correct me if i'm wrong, RTS MP is a fairly fast moving game that keeps you actually PLAYING the game in a reasonable time. You can spend all of your game playing time with an RTS game in MP and satisfy your urge to play the game.

For TBS games, MP takes much longer. Now, I am sure MP is fun, playing against another human always is, but anyone who wants to actually PLAY Civ 3 or any other TBS game needs to play SP. That's just the nature of the game. (I don't know if IG was successful with their "turnless" mode for Civ3, but nice theory).

I bet that many players who enjoy MP for Civ 3 or other TBS games also play SP games of the same title while they wait for their next turn in the MP game.

This is why I think that MP for turn based games should be a patch or even an add on pack. Because unless you get a group together on a LAN and play all night, keeping things moving, you will never get full enjoyment from the game.

AND!!!!! I think that MP is wonderful, playing another person can give enjoyment that no AI can match.

I just think that MP needs to be treated differently for TBS games.

Sorry if you've heard me say this in another post.
Old December 11, 2002, 20:39   #2
vee4473
King

Oh, by the way!!

I want to point out that many of the initial complaints with Civ 3 were about the absurdly long wait times between turns....

as much as 20 minutes.....

and I would say that is fast compared to what the wait time would be for an MP game.

MP anyone?
Old December 12, 2002, 06:40   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 12:27
No thanks, not with MoO, but if you're after a SMAXing ?

Very few TBS games make it in MP, but SMAC is one of them, but you're right, you have to be VERY PATIENT !

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 11:34   #4
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I've seen several references to SMAC but I have no idea what it is. Can someone fill me in?
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 11:44   #5
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 12:17   #6
LeTharg
Settler

Local Time: 04:27
Different players have different tastes. I'm planning on purchasing MOO3 solely for multi-player. I will play through a single player game to learn the mechanics and then will be solely an MP player. Hope to see you in MP
LeTharg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 14:26   #7
celicakydd
Settler

Civ 3 multiplayer was sold as an expansion. If your not interested in playing against another human, you don't have to buy the expansion.
celicakydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 16:45   #8
Besuchov
Settler

Local Time: 13:27
I read somewhere about a survey that showed that most gamers never played a single game of multiplay while at the same time most gamers consider the existens of multiplay important when buying a game.

I think more players use the multiplay feature now though, when more people have access to ADSL and LAN.
Besuchov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2002, 07:38   #9
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 14:27
The only multiplay I did in civ-like games was hotseat, which is out of MoO. Too bad, hotseat is very good for designing strategies (play against yourself to see how start one plays against strat2). Without easy access to internet play like Blizzard provides (battle.net), multiplay for a game will always be restricted to a minority.
LDiCesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2002, 09:23   #10
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 13:27
I only play RT games MP. Neverwinter Nights, for instance, is an absolute blast in MP and only a so-so game SP. They could ship Moo3 w/out MP for all I care. Still, it's nice to have the option, should I ever have a year or so of free time on my hands
Old December 14, 2002, 16:31   #11
RolandtheMad
Trade Wars / BlackNova TradersCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

Where did the poll come from - Battle.net or Gameplanet or something? You also have to realize not everyone participates in the surveys! I myself never play multiplayer.
RolandtheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2002, 16:55   #12
Destroyer
Prince

Hmm, the way I see it is that MP is the biggest threat to decent 4x games in the future. Programmers are now spending so much time on the technical aspect of making multiplayer work, that I think the rest of the game will either be overlooked, or dumbed down.

The best multiplayer games were the ones that used hot seat, and therefore utilised the game as a whole.

You only have to look at PTW. A rather shite attempt at multi player, when they should have used the release to enhanse the games single player. Instead all we get is a couple of shitty buildings and untits, and still no proper scripting.

To be a great game, MOO3 will have to be a great 1 player game first. If they get this bit right, then they can do what they want for the multiplayer part, or else Im back to playing Stars!
Old December 15, 2002, 16:58   #13
Destroyer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer
untits
????