Old December 12, 2002, 15:05   #1
dulahan
Settler

Local Time: 06:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Supposed IThkul picture on 161 of the guide - Its not Ithkul (No spoiler)
Look closer at the picture. It has a Human sized head. It has two legs, two arms, is bipedal. If you ask me it looks like a human in powered armor of some sort. you do have to look closely. But its there.

There is another possibility, but I won't say it because it would be a spoiler and this isn't meant to be a spoiler thread.
dulahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 15:31   #2
Alex-C
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:30
If you're thinking the thought i am (and have been for a while) then the "other possiblity" seems likely. Certain sources also hint at this possibility. I won't say any more however and im hoping that this is no spoiler still

But saying that, i aint seen the picture at all, and it could be armour of some kind, we're still "in the dark" about a lot of the visuals regarding that sort of thing! (unless the guide has pictures of it all of course!)
Alex-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 16:02   #3
dulahan
Settler

Yeah, the other possibility would mesh.

To me it looks just like any standard sci-fi armor. Shoulder pads, etc. Rather standard fare. The fact it is Black and white and small even in the picture itself doesn't help either way. But I'm convinced it is just a human in Powered armor.
Old December 12, 2002, 19:08   #4
Guffawing Crow
Settler

Yup, it's still spoiler free since I haven't a clue what the alternative is.
Guffawing Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2002, 21:25   #5
gramians
Settler

Local Time: 07:30
Quote:
Originally posted by dulahan
Yeah, the other possibility would mesh.

To me it looks just like any standard sci-fi armor. Shoulder pads, etc. Rather standard fare. The fact it is Black and white and small even in the picture itself doesn't help either way. But I'm convinced it is just a human in Powered armor.
Yeah, but what if we humans are the genetically engineered race designed for war? It looks that way. There was a Twilight Zone episode like that... A flying saucer came to earth and said "you have developed poorly, if you do not prove yourself in 24 hours, you will be destroyed" So all the nations of the world united and signed a peace accord. To which the aliens reply, "no, you were bread for combat..." Ka boom.

Also there is "the day the earth stood still" with a similar story.
gramians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2002, 01:26   #6
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:30
"no, you were bread for combat..."

Yummm, captive food species!
Straybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2002, 19:23   #7
Vince278
King

When I made the discovery I pondered it for a few days before I contacted Apolyton to see what they thought. I originally thought the same as everyone else but the caption does NOT say "Human in silly looking powered armor". IG and QS are understandably silent. Time will tell.....
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2002, 20:39   #8
dulahan
Settler

Well, nothing says the hand thing might not be ithkul though. Or a deliberately misleading caption.
Old December 20, 2002, 23:20   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:30
I looked at it and have no clue what it is, but it does not look human to me, more like a robotic hand, maybe Meklars. Psilons maybe even.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2002, 14:28   #10
Vince278
King

Hate to add to the possible Ithkul I found earlier this month but I may have found yet another picture in the strategy guide. Its just a small headshot that looks really nasty. The caption is no help. It also appears to be no known race so it is either an Ithkul or one of the unknown non-player races. I think I won't say where it is until after the game is released (I sometimes hate being right ).
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2003, 14:13   #11
dulahan
Settler

From looking through the guide myself, I think the one on page 161 is the only questionable one. all the rest of the Weird ones are pretty much verified as Antarrans/New Orions
Old January 2, 2003, 09:13   #12
warden
Settler

I've seen the Harvesters and was neither impressed nor surprised. The hype about them is ridiculous. I'm more interested in some of the other new races (like the non-corporeal Brye Ehts) or the new treatments of the existing MOO races (like the Elerians).

The main shame is that the game is fairly low in graphical touches which help you relate to the races. The population icons in MOO2 were a great graphical touch. MOO3 has iconic pictures for the techs and installations but not for the pop. One step forward and one step backwards.

Andrew
warden is offline   Reply With Quote