Old December 12, 2002, 17:33   #1
mazzz
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 12:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How the hell do you get island citys?!?!??!
How do you get them, i cant land any where!
Old December 12, 2002, 17:40   #2
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 06:30
Until you get marines or beserkers (real name) you can't take them.

Make peace or the war weariness may get to you.
Old December 12, 2002, 17:59   #3
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 04:30
Demand it as part of a peace treaty.
Old December 12, 2002, 18:06   #4
Shr3dZ
Warlord

Initiate Propaganda.
Old December 12, 2002, 18:54   #5
Carver
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
Demand it as part of a peace treaty.
That's a useful strat with all sorts of far flung cities, it's easier than sending transports all over the globe. Just demand them in peace, secure them, then go to war again.
Old December 12, 2002, 19:39   #6
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 05:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
Until you get marines or beserkers (real name) you can't take them.

Make peace or the war weariness may get to you.
Couldn't you set bombard to kill and capture them that way?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 12, 2002, 19:44   #7
planetfall
Prince

Patience...

Either

1. wait for workers/units to move in next turn, or

2. wait for nukes and elim annoying workers/units, or

3. build marines, or

4. live with it and focus on other areas, like bribing another civ to attack the island city.

== PF
Old December 12, 2002, 20:00   #8
Carver
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

Couldn't you set bombard to kill and capture them that way?
But even if the city is empty you won't be able to capture it. No other units are allowed to go from the sea into an enemy city.
Old December 12, 2002, 20:05   #9
planetfall
Prince

Carver,

True for one tile cities. Mazzz didn't say how many tiles these cities had. I was thinking 2..4 tiles.

If they are 1 tile cities, who cares. There are hundreds of other tiles to use to win the game. A 1 tile city will never have enough of anything to do more than take up colors on a world map.

== PF
Old December 12, 2002, 22:55   #10
mazzz
Warlord

but they have ONE CITY left, thats on a one sqaure island! right now im 2 turns away from radio, and looking at some of the stuff you get from adance flight which is close to radio, i need aul-num-al-nim and oil, ive got LOTS of oil im persia, i have iran, part of pakistan and afganistan all of arabia and israel and half of the meditration sea including the suez canal, i have turek , greace and cypurs and a chunk of russia but and im at war with every one on and off some times everyone at once and im WAY AHEAD at the tech tree, i wan ICBM while that let me nuke evey other city one that map? do they alway work, i mean every else doesnt even have gun powder yet, every one is "furooius and in awe of me, i have every wonder so far now ones manged to build one, and they all hate me how can i fix that, and what the number next to the peace try after you sign it and you goto active there a nmumber every turn it goes down one, iv'e never got to 1 before im always at war! help!!!!!!! and i have 10000000 units in every city, i lose 1023 gold per turn so im there must powerful, develep,culural, and POOREST nation. You guys have any tips? please give me some help... sorry for the longness
Old December 13, 2002, 05:16   #11
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 13:30
Maybe you should build some money-making improvements? Like banks, marketplaces and courthouses. All those units cost money, spend some units on conquest. Remember that you don't need a large garrison in all cities, only in those who need it. Usually I have only 1 unit in most of my cities, cities of special importance(capitol, cities with wonders) have more. Border cities also have a stronger garrison than the rest. The rest of my army are divided between the front line and a reserve in case of invasions.
Old December 13, 2002, 06:42   #12
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
Quote:
Originally posted by mazzz
but they have ONE CITY left, thats on a one sqaure island! right now im 2 turns away from radio, and looking at some of the stuff you get from adance flight which is close to radio, i need aul-num-al-nim and oil, ive got LOTS of oil im persia, i have iran, part of pakistan and afganistan all of arabia and israel and half of the meditration sea including the suez canal, i have turek , greace and cypurs and a chunk of russia but and im at war with every one on and off some times everyone at once and im WAY AHEAD at the tech tree, i wan ICBM while that let me nuke evey other city one that map? do they alway work, i mean every else doesnt even have gun powder yet, every one is "furooius and in awe of me, i have every wonder so far now ones manged to build one, and they all hate me how can i fix that, and what the number next to the peace try after you sign it and you goto active there a nmumber every turn it goes down one, iv'e never got to 1 before im always at war! help!!!!!!! and i have 10000000 units in every city, i lose 1023 gold per turn so im there must powerful, develep,culural, and POOREST nation. You guys have any tips? please give me some help... sorry for the longness
Start the new game on diety level. I can assure you wouldn't have such problems anymore
Old December 13, 2002, 06:56   #13
TacticalGrace
Prince

I presume that by meditration sea you mean the mediterranean sea?

If you are on radio andno-one else has gunpowder then I suggest that you start again but this time don't set the difficulty to the easiest level...
Old December 13, 2002, 07:36   #14
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Hmm I guess to nuke or not to nuke isn't an option then
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 13, 2002, 08:11   #15
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Just roll over them, he has too many units and a large tech-lead. How difficult can it be?
Old December 13, 2002, 08:21   #16
TheStinger
King

Just ignore it
Old December 13, 2002, 09:28   #17
DaDrunkenFish
Settler

wait a sec! if you have radio then you cant be to far away from aphibious warfare, stack 8 in a boat and go destroy it
Old December 13, 2002, 11:35   #18
planetfall
Prince

Mazzz,

Research Amphibious War. Build 8 marines.
See how many it takes to take 1 tile civ.

THEN QUIT. There is nothing else to learn after you experience fighting with marines. You are too far ahead of AI. Raise the difficulty level and the game will suddenly become a whole lot more interesting.

== PF
Old December 13, 2002, 12:40   #19
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 07:30
If you have other civs on the planet, go attack them with you thousands of units... If not, then get to marines and kill that city. If else, don't bother, start another game.

--Kon--
Old December 19, 2002, 22:58   #20
Big Fish
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by mazzz
Are you playing the US?

Because if you are then it bears a striking resembelance to the real one, " 10000000 units in every city, i lose 1023 gold per turn so im there must powerful, develep,culural, and POOREST nation." ahhh the good ol' USA
Old December 20, 2002, 20:25   #21
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 08:30
Actually i would suggest reading the Fu*king manual first, followed by the 1.29 readme, finally CFC's newbie thread, and both CFC's and Apolytons FAQ threads. Then build some market places for cryin out loud. The last thing you should do is quit, you may have a bigger military than anyone else, but you have no knowledge on how to use it. Not that chieftain is hard by any definition of the word.

serb:

man that is cruel, this guy (or gal?) couldn't last past 2700bc on diety, unless this thread is a friggin joke. I can see him now when Xerxes shows up at his doorstep with 30 immortals

Mazz: "my words are backed by the axe"

:
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 21, 2002, 11:04   #22
Big Fish
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
2700bc
The correct term is BCE just to let you know.
Old December 21, 2002, 14:57   #23
MiloMilo
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Fish
Tell me you're joking.
Old December 21, 2002, 16:50   #24
Big Fish
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by MiloMilo

Tell me you're joking.
no, now the reserchers us BCE (Before the common era) and CE (common era).
Old December 21, 2002, 17:36   #25
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 08:30
Big Fish:

That is only for those idiots who try to remove all traces of religion in our schools. Or those who cant cope with the fact that we record history in relation to the birth of Christ. And finally tell that to Infograms and Firaxis, that is how the date is displayed in CIV 3 (at least in the good 'ol US of A)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old December 22, 2002, 04:36   #26
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:30
Mazz : to have less people furious about you, you have to be trustworthy. When you sign a deal with another Civ, which should last some time (you trade a luxury, you sue for peace, for an alliance etc.), this deal will last 20 turns.
If you break it before 20 turns, you will betray the deal, which will make the others more weary of you. If you break these deals systematically, nobody will trust you anymore.

The numbers next to "peace" (if you clicked the "active deals" button) is the time you have to wait before going to war if you don't want to damage your reputation. The numbers next to all active deals represent how long they'll last.

For example, in the attached picture, we have a Mutual Protection Pact with Alexander, and we pay 8 gold per turn for this. The deal will last at least 12 turns, after this we'll be able to renegociate it, to cancel it, or to continue it if both parties consider it is still valid.
If we declare war to Alexander before the 12 turns are up (and before officially cancelling the MPP), we'll suffer a reputation hit.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	activedeals.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	32290  
Old December 23, 2002, 11:57   #27
planetfall
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Fish

Negative. The correct term for ancient world time is

BC

The characters 'bc' can be expanded by Christians to mean "before Christ".

AND the characters 'bc' can be expanded by followers of the Humanist Religion to mean "before common era".

This is the true politically correct jargon as neither religious group need to take offense. {naturally, as you know playing civ3, if I want to take offense, nothing you say can make a difference.}

Non-ancient world
Unlike the ancient world term, it doesn't seem anyone has coined a neutral label for this time.

'ad' works for Christians but Humanists take humbrage.

'ce' works for Humanists but is offensive to Christians.

Maybe what we need is the pair of 'bc' and 'ac': before christ and after Christ. With the polytheism of culture we would expect people to have difficulty with Monotheism in general and with the concept of "anno domino", year of our Lord in particular.

If said AC instead of AD, this might work for both groups. Christians would be able to mentally expand to 'after Christ the Lord', and Humanist could mentally expand to 'after Christ and...{insert some negative mental stream}".

Now the harder question: if you are going to go to all that trouble, why not fix the calendar at the same time? This 28/29/30/31 day months are dumb. And the names, Roman gods. If you want names for months, why not pick something totally neutral, i.e., the first 12 elements in the periodic table? Why not a better break of the months, i.e.,

month 1, 4 weeks, 28 days
month 2, 4 weeks, 28 days
month 3, 5 weeks, 35 days

repeat x 4

Thus would have a quarter like modern business. This would give 364 days/year. Then at the end of the 12th month, add 1..2 leap days to make the 365.#### days needed.

Too much trouble to correct habits? Then leave BC/AD alone. Either correct the whole year thing or nothing

Back to game mechanics. At least with 1.14 you can adjust the years, but NOT with default world. Like the scenario preferences, we need to be able to set years/turn for the normal generated new game.

== PF
Old December 23, 2002, 14:01   #28
Flight
Warlord

what pf said tbh, its just pedantic to be politically correct most of the time
Old December 23, 2002, 14:09   #29
bobbo008
Prince

"Maybe what we need is the pair of 'bc' and 'ac': before christ and after Christ"

Common thought at my grade school was B.C. meant "Before Christ" and A.D. meant "After Death". Proudly, I can say that I always dismissed that as, in gradeschool terms, "Poo"
Old December 24, 2002, 17:08   #30
Captain THC
Chieftain

hail satan
Please tell me I didn't just hear someone say "humanist religion."