Old December 12, 2002, 18:55   #1
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Project: The Return Home
The acquisition of the technology of Steam Power marked the introduction of the greatest and final land improvement in the game - railroads.
Soon, our entire empire will be railroaded. After a few other improvements are made there will be no further need for workers in our current territory. Soon we will conquer German lands, and maybe get some more lands in other ways (culture flips, perhaps) and we'll want to bring these new territories up to our standards in terms of land improvements.
However, once we're done with this task, our workers will be idle for quite some time, unless we're planning another invasion very soon after the German war.
Now, I have no problem with slaves idling around because they don't cost us money, but domestic workers do cost maintenance, and it'll be a pain watching them idling and waiting for new territories that need improving to be conquered while they could do much more good inside cities.

So basically, the idea is this: soon there will be no work for our workers except for in newly-conquered territories because there will be nothing left to improve in our own territories. Allowing our workers to sit idly would be plain wasteful, and therefore I suggest that we gradually allow our domestic workers to join cities with hospitals and work as part of the urban population until we can completely depend on slaves as our public works force.
I suggest that we begin this project after the German territories that we'll conquer are improved to the maximum. I also suggest that we stop building domestic workers, because we'll join them back to their cities soon enough if the senate approves this project (don't worry, we'll get plenty of slaves from Germany ).

What are your opinions?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 12, 2002, 19:09   #2
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 04:30
This is a really good idea. Does anybody know how this will affect the other civ's attitude torwards us?.

I know civs hate it when you have slaves of their nationality.

Also the more workers you have the larger your military appears to the other civs. The workers are included in the "we have a *BLANK* military compared to them" calculaion.

Other than that... anything else....?

So I say, yes lets join our workers into the german cities we will bomb to size 1

Mss
Old December 12, 2002, 19:19   #3
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ManicStarSeed
Also the more workers you have the larger your military appears to the other civs. The workers are included in the "we have a *BLANK* military compared to them" calculaion.
I had no idea. Are you sure about this?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 12, 2002, 19:22   #4
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Yep, check Vel's strategy thread-part 3, I believe. maybe part 2. Its in the strategy forum.

Mss
Old December 12, 2002, 19:38   #5
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 06:30
Not only after we have hospitals, but even now to bring some cities up closer to the size 12 boundry. This was already hinted at in the opening of the
Otto, we will bury you ....... thread.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=70039

Once there is railroad linkeup, there is no utility of workers above what is needed to keep tile development ahead of pop. We achieved this long ago.
Old December 12, 2002, 19:46   #6
ManicStarSeed
Prince

And pollution cleanup
Old December 12, 2002, 19:53   #7
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 08:30
I think we shoud emancipate those slaves. I hate the idea of slavery, even in a game.

Sure, it makes economic sence. BUT MORALLY IT IS WRONG!!!!

Lets add a couple of Morals here, shall we.

GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old December 12, 2002, 20:41   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Ah morals. I remember the good old days when eewolf tried to input 'ethics' in the DemoGame.
I'm all for this plan, even if I think we should eventually integrate these slaves in our cities, and replace them by domestic workers when we won't have anything else than pollution to manage.
The reasoning behind this is :

- I don't like slaves, who are inefficient workers (2 to 4 times slower), while they are as good laborers as nationals.
- A foreign laborer can bring money, food and shields, and hence more than pays the upkeep of the domestic worker who replace them.
Old December 12, 2002, 21:09   #9
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Re: Project: The Return Home
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber

So basically, the idea is this: soon there will be no work for our workers except for in newly-conquered territories because there will be nothing left to improve in our own territories. Allowing our workers to sit idly would be plain wasteful, and therefore I suggest that we gradually allow our domestic workers to join cities with hospitals and work as part of the urban population
What are your opinions?
Shiber this runs VERY parallel to the designs of the Labor Party. Perhaps you may be interesting in joining...?
Old December 12, 2002, 21:41   #10
Shiber
Emperor

Got a lot of catching up to do. Still reading old threads. Can't join yet. Must use fragmented sentences.
I'll let you know as soon as I finish reading the labor-related threads and think about it, though.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 12, 2002, 22:03   #11
ManicStarSeed
Prince

Good points Spiffor

Mss
Old December 12, 2002, 22:41   #12
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

We still have a fair amount of Jungle left to clear, although it could be done by the end of next term, it might be likely.

We also have a fair amount of Mountains to Road, Mine & Rail (some only need the Road). I don't anticipate that these things will be complete unto towards the end of the next term.

E_T
Old December 12, 2002, 22:41   #13
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:30
Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
I think we shoud emancipate those slaves. I hate the idea of slavery, even in a game.

Sure, it makes economic sence. BUT MORALLY IT IS WRONG!!!!

Lets add a couple of Morals here, shall we.

GK
Agreed, for moral reasons.

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Ah morals. I remember the good old days when eewolf tried to input 'ethics' in the DemoGame.
I'm all for this plan, even if I think we should eventually integrate these slaves in our cities, and replace them by domestic workers when we won't have anything else than pollution to manage.
The reasoning behind this is :

- I don't like slaves, who are inefficient workers (2 to 4 times slower), while they are as good laborers as nationals.
- A foreign laborer can bring money, food and shields, and hence more than pays the upkeep of the domestic worker who replace them.
Agreed, for economic reasons.

It's so good when moral and money walk together...
Unfortunately, this is very rare...
Old December 13, 2002, 00:42   #14
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Efficientize the workers

(is that a word???)
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old December 13, 2002, 01:08   #15
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:30
I fully agree with Spiffor... this should be integrated into the party platform for the coming term...
Old December 13, 2002, 03:32   #16
ManicStarSeed
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
I fully agree with Spiffor... this should be integrated into the party platform for the coming term...
Right on Spiffor, Instant platform.

Mss
Old December 13, 2002, 13:50   #17
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I agree that building of domestic workers should stop now. (Except for any just being built to relocate populations, and also cases where building a worker enslaves the population.)

On massively returning doesmtic home, we're not quite ready for that yet, finish RRing every tile inside our cities CR inside our current territory not to close to the German frontier first. After that is done, then all the normal workers can be retired. Getting cities with Aquaducts (natural or improvement) up to 9 should be top priority followed by placing them in cities with hospitals where production would increase.

On the slaves, I think we should keep up to 48 slaves we have & acquire during the German war for polution control (44 on mainland, 4 on Uber Island), but the others can be set free by joining to cities. But I'd free the ones who have no homeland (France & America) first because we can be sure ones without a homeland will never call us to "stop the war against the mother country". Also, don't pick any border city as a place to free slaves.
Old December 13, 2002, 18:32   #18
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Pollution
No one seems to have taken into account pollution? We will need to keep some workers around for pollution control. Any thoughts on this?

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old December 13, 2002, 23:54   #19
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Re: Pollution
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit
No one seems to have taken into account pollution? We will need to keep some workers around for pollution control. Any thoughts on this?
Both MSS (sorry MSS, but your name is just way too long to type ) and joncnunn have mentioned pollution. I think it's being taken as a given, at this point. The question is should we keep slaves or domestic, payed workers around to clean it up?
Old December 14, 2002, 03:46   #20
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

good grief.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep

Both MSS (sorry MSS, but your name is just way too long to type ) and joncnunn have mentioned pollution. I think it's being taken as a given, at this point. The question is should we keep slaves or domestic, payed workers around to clean it up?
Good God I'm observant. I was in a rush and quickly glanced through the thread. Obviously I skipped that part. :-/ Well thanks to this lesson, I now know how to use CTRL+F to find things in my browser

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old December 14, 2002, 06:20   #21
Shiber
Emperor

ATM we're fighting Rome, and we will enter war with Germany sooner or later, followed by either a war against England or Zululand (or both). We'll gain lots of slaves in the process, and I believe we'll have enough to take care of pollution.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old December 14, 2002, 15:54   #22
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

we should let some of those slaves join our civ , others could be sold , or given for free to the weakest of the other civ's , ........

have a nice day