Old December 12, 2002, 19:37   #1
SK138
Warlord

Local Time: 07:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How can this happen?
I had the same amount of techs as the French and the Romans in my game and we were all leading in technology. I just traded a tech to both of them to get money and another tech. Three turns later, both of them were three techs ahead of me. I don't know how this could happen.

Also, I saw a Egyptian thrireme in the ocean, not sea or coast, so I decided to follow it, and it never sunk. How did this happen?
Old December 12, 2002, 19:56   #2
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 04:31
Re: How can this happen?
Quote:
Originally posted by SK138
I had the same amount of techs as the French and the Romans in my game and we were all leading in technology. I just traded a tech to both of them to get money and another tech. Three turns later, both of them were three techs ahead of me. I don't know how this could happen.
Are you sure that they weren't ahead of you in the first place? You only see the techs that you can currently research in the trade window - not the ones beyond that.

Quote:
Also, I saw a Egyptian thrireme in the ocean, not sea or coast, so I decided to follow it, and it never sunk. How did this happen?
I assume you mean "galley." Any boat can cross the ocean once you have Magnetism (unrealistic, but true).
Old December 12, 2002, 20:14   #3
SK138
Warlord

I did mean galley, I'm not sure why I was thinking thrireme. I don't remember if they had magnetism yet or not. However, I am sure that the AI wasn't two techs ahead of me before.
Old December 12, 2002, 21:31   #4
WarpStorm
King

I addition to Magnetism, Navigation will allow any ship to cross ocean and can come a lot earlier.

Without seeing a save, it would be hard to figure out exactly why they got a tech boost.
Old December 13, 2002, 03:24   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:31
Re: How can this happen?
Quote:
I abou 5 weeks ago I downloaded a game that had been modified and some techs were granted to all that came later in the games such as MT. Anyway all through out the game I could never tell what the civs had for tech. Each time I did a trade and saw th list for what they had, I would soon see that actually had additional ones. I never did figure out how this was occurring. It was driving me crazy. I would think I was back even or within one tech and BOOM, I was behind two or more techs? I started to suspect that I was not able to see their full list each time. I have not seen that phenomenon since.
Old December 13, 2002, 04:19   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:31
the computer cheats

'nuff said.

OK I will say a little bit more. The computer will artificially boost itself up if it is laggin behind the leader (usually the human)
Old December 13, 2002, 05:16   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:31
Really Diss? Why am I always ahead by the middle of the middle ages and they never catch up? On Emperor and Monarch.
Old December 13, 2002, 08:24   #8
WarpStorm
King

The computer doesn't cheat with respect to research in my experience (other than the bonus that they get on higher difficulties). As more players learn a tech the cost goes down to research it. I've had get down to the next turn due to the AI swapping one around. Another way that extras techs start floating around is if there are scientific civs in the game (the 2 that were mentioned aren't, but they might have traded a tech that pushed a scientific civ into the next era and he may have traded that tech to them). In addition, there is the TOE.

As has been said earlier, the only ones you can see for trade are the ones that you can currently research. I've often had more options after trading a tech than before if it opened a new branch of the tree. This is my theory as to what happened here.
Old December 13, 2002, 14:48   #9
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 04:31
Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
As more players learn a tech the cost goes down to research it.
I didn't know this.

Makes a lot of sense... has this always been part of the game, or is it a recent addition?
Old December 13, 2002, 16:01   #10
WarpStorm
King

I think it's been there all along.
Old December 13, 2002, 16:17   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
the computer cheats

'nuff said.

OK I will say a little bit more. The computer will artificially boost itself up if it is laggin behind the leader (usually the human)
That statement is not correct. It has been refuted by the developers.
Old December 14, 2002, 04:44   #12
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Well I must have been thinking of the tech devalue thing. I'm usually ahead in tech. And what happens if I get too far ahead the ai somehow catches up. I'm not sure how they do it, but they do.
Old December 15, 2002, 03:05   #13
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: How can this happen?
Quote:
Originally posted by FNBrown

I assume you mean "galley." Any boat can cross the ocean once you have Magnetism (unrealistic, but true).
Even without Magnetism, Galleys have a 50/50 chance of surviving if they go on the ocean. So it could be that it was just very lucky.

BTW. With PTW you can now set Ocean as "Impassable to Wheeled Units", then select the "Wheeled" flag for Galleys and maybe even Ironclads. It works, they can't cross the ocean anymore in my game.
Old December 15, 2002, 12:00   #14
SK138
Warlord

Thats a pretty good idea willem but then they can't go into the ocean at all. I usually will cross a little bit of the ocean if I see land a short distance away.
Old December 15, 2002, 14:24   #15
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Thats a pretty good idea willem but then they can't go into the ocean at all. I usually will cross a little bit of the ocean if I see land a short distance away.
Then you'll just have to wait until you get a Caravel then.

Another thing you can do is give the Sea and Ocean movement costs, like 2 for Sea, and 3 for ocean. Then you can give the Caravel a movement cost override for Sea, and ocean capable ships you can give the "All Terrain as Roads" flag. That way Galleys are severly hampered when trying to cross an ocean. They'll only be able to move one square at a time.

I prefer no movement at all myself.