Old December 13, 2002, 00:54   #1
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 05:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Dark Side Beckoneth
Just so we're clear that this is "On Topic":

I fought like hell to keep the Sleeg from being dragged into the Civ2 forum, but Markos DID promise that we could discuss ANY other game....so.....

The wife flew off to New York last weekend, leaving me with the prospect of two whole days of uninterrupted scenario development. Ah Bliss! And then my son drags in some new game and says "check this out"......and all I can say after 48 hours with little food or sleep is.....

Medieval Total War absolutely KICKS A$$!!
Old December 13, 2002, 04:26   #2
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 07:31
got any screen shots you care to share with us? I don't know a single thing about the game
Old December 13, 2002, 17:56   #3
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

I wish I could have seen the wife/mother expression when she returned!

Ditto the request about a screenshot.

In general, I'd be interested in seeing info about any good game for which scenarios can be designed. Does that lie 'on topic'?
Old December 13, 2002, 18:41   #4
klesh
King

Local Time: 08:31
I really enjoy this game/series as well. I played the Shogun one for quite awhile and this is a rare instance where they kep the good things and improved on the bad.

I really enjoy the way they merged RTS and TBS together. Very tasty.

I especially enjoy racing to the demi-culverins... get them before anyone else does. Ammas them in such numbers that they cannot be stopped, their fear factor will cause you to win every battle. They will simply shred the enemy ranks. I fancy lining up 6 on a hill, and just defending them to death. Rarely will the AI get the cahones to make a run for them, but if he does, he meets several rows of pikes etc.

I wholeheartedy suggest this game to players out there. Lemme go find a few screenies at the official site... brb

-FMK.
Old December 13, 2002, 18:55   #5
Kull
lifer
King

Don't take my word for it - check out the Demo:

http://www.activision.com/downloads/405.asp

And yes Boco, there are moddable features - but I'm not sure about the scenario aspects just yet.

As good as this is, I tremble in fear for the day when (if?) they release an "Ancient Era" version.....if I can recreate the Battle of Kadesh at this level...god help me....they'll need a crowbar to pry me out of this chair!
Old December 13, 2002, 19:02   #6
klesh
King

Okay everybody, here are some shots from the gallery at totalwar.com:

This is a shot of one part of the European map. This is the TBS phase of the game where you move these armies about the map. Actual battles take place when 2 oppsing armies are in the same province.

Here is a shot of a massive battle raging in one of the provinces. From what I can tell, there is like 7 nations fighting here. It rarely gets this confusing, but when it does (once every game maybe) there is a real feeling of an epic event occuring...

This here is a rather zoomed in shot of a castle seige. Castles are things you construct within a province. If you have a standing army in the province when an enemy invades, you have the option to immediatly retreat to the castle to buy time for sending reinforcements. Castles themselves have a series of upgrades to their construction and armaments.

There's plenty more at the site for your viewing pleasure.

-FMK.

Last edited by klesh; December 14, 2002 at 12:47.
Old December 13, 2002, 20:37   #7
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Medieval Total War absolutely KICKS A$$!!

Bah, Crusader Kings will 0wn the said posterior once it is released.
Old December 13, 2002, 21:18   #8
klesh
King

Hey is it me, or is only one of the 5 pics I posted showing up?
Old December 14, 2002, 00:04   #9
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

You are correct. Only one is showing up.
Old December 14, 2002, 04:32   #10
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 06:31
1 pic per post.
Old December 14, 2002, 10:43   #11
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

That's a rule?
Old December 14, 2002, 10:50   #12
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
1 pic per post.
that's for attachments, you can link to as many in a post as you want
Old December 14, 2002, 10:57   #13
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Yeah I thought so H Tower
Old December 14, 2002, 12:44   #14
klesh
King

right, I used the [img] tags [/img}. I've never thought there was a limit on those. Lemme try editing to display 4...

-FMK.
Old December 14, 2002, 12:49   #15
klesh
King

Strange.. It wont display moire than 1 image, even though they are all properly linked via img tags. I suppose this is something new? Anyway, helluva game. What are some of your favourite aspects Kull?

-FMK.
Old December 14, 2002, 21:06   #16
H Tower

try using html instead vbb FMK it always works for me

< a href = " http://www.totalwar.com/Community/me...ges/strat1.jpg " >
Old December 15, 2002, 02:50   #17
Kull
lifer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
.....Anyway, helluva game. What are some of your favourite aspects Kull?
1) The way in which RTS and TBS elements blend together SO smoothly. It's actually possible to operate in a pure campaign mode, building your economy, setting up trade, and leaving the battles - sight unseen - to the AI. But the ability to take all the disparate elements of a medieval army - archers, pikemen, cavalry and use them TOGETHER on a natural looking landscape - WOW (but more on this later)

2) Death of Kings: Every turn that passes, your country's ruler gets another year older - and eventually will die of old age or disease. Unless you use him during a battle - for death is possible there, too (as is - of course - the death of enemy kings! Hehehe!). So what happens when he dies?

3) Dynasties: Why one of his sons (or daughters if you have a Christian Faction) takes over as the new king. If your ruler is heir-less, than there's a fight for control among the most powerful generals. But succession is far more than some king with a new name...because just like real people, these folks have...

4) Personal Traits: Every personality has 5 common traits - Loyalty (to the ruler), Command (ability to lead armies), Dread (inspire fear in opponents and - more importantly - your associates), Piety (religiousness), and Acumen (governing ability). But many of these "people" have "Vices & Virtues" which add far greater complexity to their personalities. Some are cowards, others brave, some cause happiness in those they rule, others the reverse. And here's the kicker: These traits are ALTERED BY WHAT THEY DO DURING THE GAME! A general who repeatedly retreats from battle, even if it's no fault of his own, will lose command points and adversely impact the morale of his men (they'll begin to EXPECT him to run away). Many (and maybe all) of these people also have hidden vices they try to hide from others, but spies can ferret these out. I could go on, but the bottom line is this REALLY provides a flavor missing from most sterile "god games".

5) The RTS Battles: These are just amazing. As an example, I learned first hand why peasants historically had little or no chance against the French Royal Knights. I formed a battle line of 100 peasant spearmen, 8 deep, and placed 60 archers behind to take out the approaching enemy. The French only had 40 knights! I outnumbered them 4-1. What chance did they have? Well, when I ran the replay mode and zoomed in for closeups after the debacle, I could see my peasants starting to quaver even as the knights began their charge. And then - within moments of impact - the line broke and they all turned and fled (the archers leading the way). NOTHING would convince them to fight back! I killed 5 knights and lost over a hundred men, most slaughtered while running away. Very sobering.

That's just a taste of what makes this a very entertaining game. Highly recommended.

NOTE: Slow machines with Weak graphics cards need not apply!