Old August 16, 2000, 14:00   #1
Adam_Smith
Prince

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Lal cheated me :(
I gave Lal some tech to vote to repeal the UN Charter, but then when the vote came he abstained. I tried to contact him, but nothing came up. The only thing that I can think of is that he cheated me because I was unsurpassed power and I had a PB. Anyone else have experiences like this? Any comments? questions?
Old August 16, 2000, 16:11   #2
stuntman19
Prince

What was your integrity at the time? I think this happened once when my integrity was not so great on a vote of some kind
Old August 16, 2000, 18:55   #3
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Local Time: 20:46
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Yes. Buying votes is never a lock. If you wait until in the Council screen (rahter than calling them beforehand) you will almost always get them to do as they agreed, however even in this case, sometimes they renege.

Integrity of both parties plays into it.
Old August 16, 2000, 20:39   #4
Adam_Smith
Prince

My integrety was noble. I will wait until I call council from now on. I didn't know that they could renege.
Old August 16, 2000, 21:33   #5
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:46
LOL - you learn something new every day.

Wait until the council screen?

Can you make bribery offers then? (I know the AI can offer deals when council is called, but how do we?)

LOL again - just brought up a game and clicked on the faction leaders and, lo, there it is.

In 18 months I never knew that.

Googlie
Old August 17, 2000, 09:02   #6
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Local Time: 20:46
Glad to see you learning Googles!

Adam_Smith, do you recall what Lal's integrity was at the time? IF it was low, then there is no real reason why he would keep an agreement, regardless of your integrity. I often see this happen when playing against the Spartans or the Believers. They often break treaties and so have really low integrity.

You can exploit this to your advantage. Let's say you want to goad Yang into breaking a peace treaty he has with say, Sven (they always seem to ally when in the same game...). So, you take over one of Sven's bases that is very near Yang. Let some of Yang's units come very close to the base. Then withdraw all your units, sell any facilities you can, and give the base back to Sven. As long as that base remains empty for as long as it would take Yang's units to get to it, Yang will find it very hard to resist taking over the base, even if he has a treaty with Sven. This won't always work, but it can be very fun. And the best part is that if you do this enough to lower Yang's integrity a couple notches, other factions will become less likely to even bother making treaties/pact with him!
Old August 17, 2000, 11:05   #7
Adam_Smith
Prince

He didn't break any agreements that I know of and I'm not playing the game anymore so I don't know.

That's a good idea about getting the AI to ruin their reputation though