Old July 24, 2000, 18:12   #1
death_head
Prince

Local Time: 19:46
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Let's keep this forum going!
Over the past few days I've kind of been noticing that the postings are dwindling down and are less frequent, and no one has posted any new topics in awhile. C'MON, WHERE IS EVERYBODY?
So, I was wondering...Does anybody know the breakdown of who hates who in SMAC(X)? Like for example I know that Yang and the PK are against eachother, and obviously Marr and H'minee, but what about the rest? White Elephants, where have you been? Missing your one-liners. Let's try to make this coffeehouse style and keep it going.

------------------
Carved upon my stone-
my body lie
but still I roam.
-Metallica
Old July 24, 2000, 21:14   #2
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 20:46
I've noticed the same thing, Death. But with the new "who's online now" gimmick, I have also seen a lot of lurkers who don't post, at least not in the SMAC/X forum.

It's only natural to have some attrition as the game ages and people move on to newer ones. But it seems like there are quite a few new SMAC/Xers, and the game continues to rate very high in the polls.

What can we do to entice the new folks to jump in?

Old July 25, 2000, 09:17   #3
death_head
Prince

I was looking around yesterday at other game sites, and overall I'm noticing that there is really no advertisement for this site. So I'm going to start advertising it at my site (even though it has 19 hits to date), and posting links everywhere I can. That way, more people will come and talk about SMACX. Although it is not helping that the people who used to post here a lot are leaving though.

------------------
Carved upon my stone-
my body lie
but still I roam.
-Metallica
Old July 25, 2000, 18:14   #4
WhiteElephants
King

The Gaians hate Morgan, Miriam hates Zak, but Joni still loves Cha-Chi.
Old July 25, 2000, 18:51   #5
Qualiciide

just match up the factions, spartans hate zak cause of power vs know etc

Old July 25, 2000, 19:10   #6
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:46
Qual:

Not quite as simple as that. If you're Zak, and run Power, The Colonel's your bosom buddy and wants to pact. If you change to Wealth, next turn the pact's off and the turn after she's in Vendetta with you.

Zak's beef is more with Miriam, if she's played as Fundy (or anyone else as Fundy)

And Morgan as Green makes so much sense that Deirdre is hanging all over him.

Googlie
Old July 25, 2000, 21:08   #7
609x512
Settler

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I rarely need to post. I can find answers to all my questions on previous posts. I also dont got any games worth mentioning. I still play thinker difficulty cuz i die fast on anything higher... truly pathetic huh?
Old July 26, 2000, 08:48   #8
death_head
Prince

It's not that you need to post, it's that you want to, right?
Anyhow, I was thinking that Roze probably hates Santiago and Svensgard due to the fact they're about power and the Angels are hacker anarchists. Christians are against anarchy, so they should hate Roze also. Therefore, Santiago, Svensgard, and Miriam should all be friends, right? Wrong. Why didn't they program the AI to settle their differences and defeat the common foe. Besides, Roze needs a challenge. Also, it stands to reason that Roze and Morgan should hate eachother, because the Angels were originally from Morgan, as were the Pirates, I believe. So then, the Pirates and Angels should ally against the mother country, eh? Wrong again... This game is like a soap opera.

------------------
Carved upon my stone-
my body lie
but still I roam.
-Metallica
Old July 27, 2000, 13:26   #9
Mars_Col_44
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:46
As Googlie mentioned, it is not so cut-n-dried. Santiago submitted to me when I showed up with fusion weapons. She was loyal for a long time. I gave Santiago more techs and a base and the next turn ... she broke the pact.

BTW, more people do go on vacation in the summer, so you may not see a lot of postings right now. I think that this game is so flexible that it will have a following for quite a while.....
Old July 27, 2000, 13:31   #10
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Things are getting a bit cyclical here. Not much being posted for while, but then someone posts a question that gets a group responding, which then brnaches out into more topics...

In the meantime, you can always check out the OT forum. Lots is always going on there....
Old July 27, 2000, 15:29   #11
WhiteElephants
King

What's the "OT" forum?
Old July 27, 2000, 18:37   #12
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Especially in SMACX, you will see odd pairings. Deirdre and Morgan will combine forces as often as not, especially against you or a strong AI factions. Another interesting pari is Aki and Zach. They are related, so to speak, and share agendas, but whenever they are in the same game they always fight.

A lot of it has to do with geography. If you are sharing a continent, they will be hostile. The farther away you are, the friendlier they'll be. Sometimes it pays to make a beeline for a distant faction early on.

------------------
Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet
Old July 28, 2000, 08:22   #13
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 02:46
WhiteElephants, OT means OffTopic Forum.

Simply look at the main forum index

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old July 28, 2000, 08:48   #14
death_head
Prince

Actually I believe that Zak's agenda is Knowledge, whereas Aki's is Cybernetic...perhaps you mean they share aversion.

------------------
Carved upon my stone-
my body lie
but still I roam.
-Metallica
Old August 15, 2000, 05:56   #15
Beör
Warlord

I agree that it is important to keep this forum going. It is by far the best site for exchanging ideas on SMAC(X).

To any lurkers: Do not be afraid to register and post some questions - or answers, Nobody (with a few exceptions perhaps ) will bite you. I started posting a few weeks ago, and eventhough some of my questions are probably redundant and preeety lame I have gotten nothing but polite answers from friendly people with whom I share this great interest of SMAC.

To the regulars (among whom I can scarcely be counted - yet): Keep it up

Beör

A former lurker
Old August 16, 2000, 03:55   #16
Jasonian
King

quote:

Originally posted by death_head on 07-28-2000 08:48 AM
Actually I believe that Zak's agenda is Knowledge, whereas Aki's is Cybernetic...perhaps you mean they share aversion.

I think he meant that they share similar ideas as factions, not the cut and dry SE choices. I could easily see Aki going Knowledge and Zak going Cybernetic, however, and they would probably be stronger if they did.

They do share an aversion, but not for the same reasons... Aki's cyborgs wouldn't be able to understand religion. Zak just hates it.

Old August 16, 2000, 13:53   #17
Adam_Smith
Prince

I think that Zak hates religion and he doesn't understand it. Any comments on that?
Old August 18, 2000, 13:17   #18
Didymus
lifer
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Adam_Smith on 08-16-2000 01:53 PM
I think that Zak hates religion and he doesn't understand it. Any comments on that?

Well, I agree, but I think he "doesn't understand" religion for a far different reason than Aki-Zeta doesn't understand religion. Zak doesn't get faith because it interferes with his agenda, so he sees it as an enemy. I.e., he doesn't WANT to understand it or sympathize. Similar, actually, to how Miriam sees him, I would think.

Presumably, Aki & crew don't understand religion because they are not fully human. Religion is primarily a right-brain activity, in a sense that I will try to explain.

First, religion, to be an effective force, cannot be an abstraction. If you come to it on it's own terms, it demands to be treated as something more. One may, of course, study religious activity from afar, but this leaves one in the position of attempting to understand a human activity from the outside, rather than using the advantage we have as humans to understand ourselves from the inside. I.e., by participating. Which, is silly, really. Or at any rate ineffective.

Anyway, if I can find my way back to Adam_Smith's topic after that detour, the point of all this is that Aki despises religion as just one more 'archaic evolutionary tendency', whereas Zak despises it personally as a force which has historically opposed his ambitions. But if he really wanted to, Zak is smart enough, and human enough, to comprehend religion.
Old August 18, 2000, 20:37   #19
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Aki and Zak do indeed have different SE choices --but they are both research factions with a Discover agenda. Aki uses knowledge before cybernetic appears and Zak will jump on Cybernetic. They both despise Fundamentalisr politics and cannot adopt them.

So why are they always fighting?

------------------
Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet