Old December 13, 2002, 14:24   #1
Conqueror
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton UniversityC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
King

Local Time: 14:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PBEM players, lets report the bugs.
Quote from Firaxis employee :"if you do not report the bugs, they will not be fixed"

This is why we each individually should report the bugs we encounter in our (Play By Email) PBEM games, so that in the future we might enjoy bug-free and fun gaming with our Play-the-World's.

For example the notorious difficulty level "always Regent/Chieftain" bug, how many of you has reported it, even propably many of you have suffered from it.

More known bugs:

-Being able to open someone elses turn.

-Having to load PBEM game from MP screen, otherwise game wont work properly. (Happened atleast in one PBEM - using the MP screen loading corrected the errors we had otherwise almost every turn.)

-I/O error occures when loading the game. Usually when previous player plays the turn again and messes around in preferences screen before saving, the bug goes away.

-Expiring peace treaty with another human player causes them to somehow automatically declare war on you and the game crashes, solution : renegotiate peace with that player before ending your turn.

- ' Drigate ' bug, solution here http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...32#post1878032

I just reported these bugs, and i hope that some of you are also inspired to do so reading this mail.

Easy way to report PtW bugs via this form:
http://www.ina-support.com/YANFPHPF/...front_page.php

Good Luck in your PBEM games

Last edited by Conqueror; May 11, 2003 at 06:00.
Old December 13, 2002, 19:11   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Being able to open some elses turn comes to mind
Having to load games from the MP screen..

That's it for now

ps: Conquror, will you edit them in your first post?
Old December 13, 2002, 20:37   #3
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 08:32
alva, i don't load my PBEM games, or my regular games from the MP screen.
Old December 16, 2002, 23:05   #4
Soltz
Iron CiversC4WDG Delian League
King

Local Time: 04:32
I'm in a couple of PBEM games (not as a host though) and I've been able to load my turns without going into the MP screen.

Maybe I've been lucky!
Old December 16, 2002, 23:10   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

@ self biased:

and you havn't run into problems yet...like accelerated production suddenly appearing, etc....
Old January 5, 2003, 18:27   #6
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Well, this post will bring this thread back up, and result in a few more suggestions.

Mine is a re-hash of the MP screen one. It is a pain.

There should be a Pbem option on the main screen - and it should take you right to load saves screen from which you choose the save you want to play.

Saves in a pbem game should be tagged as such to prevent then from being opened under the single player option and thus subject to - er - well you know.

And the administrator of the game should be able to make certain modifications - for instance - change the name of a leader when players change. I have taken over a game for someone else, and I have to play under that name (unless anybody know how to change it - in which case - please post.)
Old January 6, 2003, 14:12   #7
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Preferences bug... please save the game preferences on the computer, and not in the save-game (It's annoying to load other peoples preferences when loading a PBEM game)
Old January 7, 2003, 03:35   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 05:32
this thread should be topped.
Old January 7, 2003, 10:04   #9
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 13:32
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Preferences bug... please save the game preferences on the computer, and not in the save-game (It's annoying to load other peoples preferences when loading a PBEM game)
Seconded. That's annoying as hell .

Another one: Saving a PBEM turn and reloading it again nets you another turn of production, food and commerce. I haven't tried it yet, but with enough patience it could be possible to get to Modern Armor in 4000Bc this way. Also, doing this sometimes opens the game for your successor without password and lets you spy him out completely and even moving his units. This is a game breaking bug!

Oh, and did I mention to save the preferences separate from the game?
Old January 7, 2003, 10:12   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 06:32
When you load the game the correct way the background is centered on the area of the team prior to you.

If you have explored that area it will show behind your password prompt, otherwise it will be black in shrouds of the fog of war.

I don't think this is a bug, as just an unthought advantage in that you can always know where the team prior to you is at and send explorers straight for them.
Old January 7, 2003, 19:51   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Can someone please top this thread?

OK I think I have figured out how accelerated production gets turn on. Because I have done it.

If you load a game through the multiplayer setup screen any game rules that you have checked before you load the game will incorporate itself into the game you are loading. I hope this makes sense.

so the last game I created had accel. prodution turned on. When I load another game through the multiplayer setup screen, if I don't uncheck accel. production it will end up into the other game I just loaded.

I never noticed this before because I have always loaded as a single player game.

but of course this can accidently reveal a starting position. Although that has never happened to me.

Anyways the game rules you have checked for creating a multiplayer game should not carry over into the game you load from the multiplayer screen. That is how it is supposed to be.
Old January 8, 2003, 05:36   #12
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Thanks to the mysterious toppper who topped this thread.
Old January 8, 2003, 07:24   #13
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:32
Not quite a bug...but still annoying.
PTW should be linked to your email client to make emailing the file a lot easier.
Old January 8, 2003, 07:35   #14
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
Not quite a bug...but still annoying.
PTW should be linked to your email client to make emailing the file a lot easier.
Old January 8, 2003, 12:08   #15
lmtoops
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:32
I had read in a review that said sending saves within the game was a feature of PTW. I haven't been able figure out how to do it.
Old January 8, 2003, 12:14   #16
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I've read that review also, but I have also read somewhere else, that such feature wont be in the game...
Old January 8, 2003, 18:41   #17
alva
Deity

It sure isn't

And PTW slows down my system after closing while I try to send the save. It takes ages to open my mail.
Old January 9, 2003, 00:09   #18
Civilization III PBEM
Settler

Local Time: 12:32
Considering that you have to input an Administrator Password when you start the game, one would conclude that the ability to change settings/player names etc. exists. If if does, has anyone found it, or any "Administrator" functionality?

Old January 9, 2003, 09:20   #19
Conqueror
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton UniversityC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
And PTW slows down my system after closing while I try to send the save. It takes ages to open my mail.
I have very similar bug, hard disk works like crazy (for no obivious reason) for almost five minutes after closing PTW, making every program work very slowly. This should not happen with 1,6 ghz processor and 1 gt ram.

And altho this has been reported before somewhere: my outlook express toolbar is totally wiped from any buttons after playing PTW. Thats why i use alternate mail clients to send PTW saves

Last edited by Conqueror; January 9, 2003 at 09:25.
Old January 9, 2003, 09:23   #20
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
It sure isn't

I've got the same problem, though I don't only have problems with my mail, but also with IE
Old January 9, 2003, 09:57   #21
alva
Deity

IE is slower too for awhile, but 'recovers' faster then my mail prog.

I too have 768 MB of DDR ram, should be suffient IMHO.
(That's enough to hold a complete installment of win 98 )

Another I just thought of,

- Fonts are messed up in the players screen, the players names to be more specific.
Old January 9, 2003, 13:20   #22
delmar
Prince

Geez, I'm glad I looked at this thread. I thought I screwed up something with my computers settings, that's why the browsers (IE for sure, but I think Netscape as well) hog the CPU for about 30 seconds after exiting from PTW. I don't hear the harddisk working like hell, it just that the browser takes up 100% of the CPU. Quite scary, I'm glad Firaxis is specializing in games and not virus development -- imagine what they could do if they really tried...

As for PBEM games/settings/loading from the Multiplayer screen: I used to think that the problem is simply that the game doesn't contain these settings, so if you load it through the Multiplayer screen then the settings will be whatever you specified on that screen just prior to loading the game. But then we ran into this Accelerated Production problem in the Double or Nothing PBEM where loading the game explicitily set Acc.Prod. ON even though it was turned off in the settings panel before I loaded the SAV.

Not sure if this was mentioned before, and it might be just another "settings" problem, but setting the difficulty level (I mean in a way that the game actually stays at that level) is impossible, too.

Did you know that in GalCiv, the AI makes you think you are playing against humans? Stop laughing, they mean it!!!

Last edited by delmar; January 9, 2003 at 13:26.
Old January 9, 2003, 13:30   #23
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by 255
Considering that you have to input an Administrator Password when you start the game, one would conclude that the ability to change settings/player names etc. exists. If if does, has anyone found it, or any "Administrator" functionality?

255 - Agreed. But no, one as of yet, has found out how to do it. Or if they have, they haven't shared it.

And I am still playing with my predecessor's name in the pbem game I took over for him. This isn't effecting game play at all - just mildly annoying.
Old January 9, 2003, 13:39   #24
alva
Deity

You can use the admin password to change a players password. Maybe that's the way it works?(have not tried this myself, picked it up somewhere else)
Old January 9, 2003, 13:43   #25
alva
Deity

Ohh, and another thing,

But I'm not sure if this a bug or a feature.

Apparantly there is NO War Weariness in MP games
Just about the most important feature of religious has been dumped...
I anyone could verify this.
Old January 9, 2003, 13:57   #26
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

my civ3 only takes about 5 seconds to clear the memory. You can tell if you try to start civ3 again after exiting you will get not enough free memory message. But after 5 seconds I can do anything I want.

I'm one of the lucky ones

I think I heard that about war weariness. That sucks because I love religious civs. going to communism would be pointless then. Hmmm.

I hate it when they make decisions for us. I guess they figured most people would just want to wage war in multiplayer and not be bothered by war weariness. But some of us want to play multiplayer like the original civ3.
Old January 10, 2003, 12:51   #27
alva
Deity

Quote:
my civ3 only takes about 5 seconds to clear the memory.
Civ3 or PTW ???
I don't have this prob with civ, only with PTW
-
Old January 10, 2003, 18:09   #28
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:32
Quote:
my civ3 only takes about 5 seconds to clear the memory. You can tell if you try to start civ3 again after exiting you will get not enough free memory message. But after 5 seconds I can do anything I want.
I am the same .. about 5 seconds for everything to clear itself....PTW

And I am running a 700Mhz Athlon with 256 Ram
Old January 11, 2003, 03:26   #29
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

actually it might be like 2 seconds . It only gives me a low memory message if I restart immediately after closing down.

Has this war weariness been verified? I have been using almost exclusively religious civs. I may have to rethink that.

Last edited by Dis; January 11, 2003 at 03:33.
Old January 11, 2003, 12:13   #30
delmar
Prince

Memory is cleaned up immediately for me. The browser is still slow for a while.

Did you know that in GalCiv, the AI makes you think you are playing against humans? Stop laughing, they mean it!!!